British Speedway Forum
eric i

2 Leagues Next Year

On plant speedway there were talks of only having 2 leagues next year with the wealthier PL clubs joining the EL. I think this would work if they also did the following….

1.Only let riders ride in two countries, so there would be less use of rider replacement and guests.

2.Reduce the points limit in both leagues, so teams would be more even.

3.Set the admission prices for all clubs in the EL to £12 adults and PL to £10 adults.

The leagues would probably look like this.

Elite league

1. Poole

2. Coventry

3. Belle Vue

4. Arena Essex

5. Eastbourne

6. Ipswich

7. Wolverhampton

8. Peterborough

9. Reading

10. Swindon

11. Birmingham

12. Kings Lynn

13. Oxford

14. Sheffield

15. Stoke

16. Rye House

Premier League

1. Workington

2. Glasgow

3. Edinburgh

4. Berwick

5. Newcastle

6. Redcar

7. Mildenhall

8. Somerset

9. Sittingbourne

10. Plymouth

11. Scunthorpe

12. Weymouth

13. Newport

14. Isle of Wight

15. Buxton

16. Exeter (hopefully

I don't think Stoke, Oxford, Birmingham, Sheffield, are keen on Elite Leauge, and there doubts about Reading.

As for Pl, I dont think Sittingbourne and Buxton could afford it not sure about Plymouth and Weymouth.

All clubs an the UK have to complete at a level thats viable for them.

I didn't think King's Lynn were too keen on EL either, but maybe that's changed :blink: I know where I'd rather be though... I was told Plymouth had put in a bid to join the PL, but that maybe hearsay.

Stoke, Oxford, Birmingham, Sheffield and kings Lynn may change there mind with a lowered points limit. If it was around 38 or 36 then they would only need to change about 3 riders. This goes for Sittingbourne and Buxton in the PL they would only need to change about 3 or 4 riders.

Of the tracks listed for the EL, IMO only four would be classed as certain to run next season,

Coventry,Poole,Wolves and Swindon the rest I think will have problems maintaining the level of team required.In sport in the UK in general there is a decline in attendance. It will need promoters with deep pockets to cover loses incured by the lower clubs.

The only way to encourage PL teams to go up? and the other EL teams to stay is to reduce wage bills.This would mean removing costly GP stars and then you have a weaker league, (not so Elite any more) but maybe getting a more even spread of the remaining talent.

Effectivly this takes us back to the one big league that was tried before but with smaller costs. The only other altenative is a smaller EL consisting of eight teams running an A and B series.

Quite why a PL club would risk financial security to join a dying league is beyond me.

Quite why a PL club would risk financial security to join a dying league is beyond me.

My thoughts exactly!

If it was done properly, EG the fair distribution of riders then it could work for most teams but;

I'm afraid Buxton and Sittingbourne struggle to afford CL so most definately couldn't run at an even higher level.

Also finishing the CL would most probably mean the end of one of its stronger better run clubs in Boston who don't have a track of their own and don't get regular good crowds at KL.

So looking at these points it is far better to continue with 3 leagues - but trying to make the EL more interesting and viable.

With Exeter hopefully returing, Oxford likely to revert to PL, Scunthorpe set to move up with Plymouth thinking about it, as well as strong murmouring from 2 former big league teams who could have new stadiums then their would be scope for 3-4 of the better PL tracks to move up without hurting the PL number wise!

The only way to encourage PL teams to go up? and the other EL teams to stay is to reduce wage bills.This would mean removing costly GP stars and then you have a weaker league, (not so Elite any more) but maybe getting a more even spread of the remaining talent.

There would be less wage bills if they only let riders ride in two countries therefore a lot of the GP star would ride in sweden and Poland. If the points limit was lowered, teams wouldn't have many top expensive riders.This would mean the league would be alot weaker and the name might need to be changed from elite to 1st division.

There might need to be a third division of 8 teams in which teams like Buxton, Sittingbourne and Weymouth could be in. There would also be teams from the current CL.

Jonny Chapman did say on the centre concrete that King's Lynn will strongly consider riding the top league if next season's BIG CHANGES come off and there will be some BIG CHANGES.

I'm afraid Buxton and Sittingbourne struggle to afford CL so most definately couldn't run at an even higher level.

Also finishing the CL would most probably mean the end of one of its stronger better run clubs in Boston who don't have a track of their own and don't get regular good crowds at KL.

I guess you could still run a third division for second teams, or teams without tracks of their own. Exceptionally you could allow marginal standalone tracks such as Buxton and Sittingbourne to join as well.

Even without Buxton, Sittingbourne and Boston, there could still be two leagues of 14 and 15 tracks respectively (16 if Exeter returned).

Edited by Kevin Meynell

Jonny Chapman did say on the centre concrete that King's Lynn will strongly consider riding the top league if next season's BIG CHANGES come off and there will be some BIG CHANGES.

hmm wonder what these changes would entail :unsure:

There would be less wage bills if they only let riders ride in two countries therefore a lot of the GP star would ride in sweden and Poland.

They would take some sort of international agreement, and I doubt that will happen. However, there's no doubt the Elite League needs to cut costs, so some of the top riders will have to go.

the name might need to be changed from elite to 1st division.

Elite and Premier are silly meaningless superlatives anyway. I can understand why you might not want to use Division 1 and 2 when they're effectively separate leagues, but what's wrong with 'League One' and 'League Two', or even 'British League' and 'National League'?

hmm wonder what these changes would entail :unsure:

I'd imagine it would entail running the BEL (or top league) at a level closer to the BPL. Perhaps something akin to the level of the BPL circa 1995/96.