11. Scunthorpe

12. Weymouth

13. Newport

14. Isle of Wight

15. Buxton

16. Exeter

17. Stoke 

18. Oxford

Going from the list already posted by the original  poster, I would think these would work more with teams like Buxton, Sittingbourne and Plymouth helped out with a few loan signings.

Why you say a 37.50 limit in the EL ?

Wolves

1 - Fredrik Lindgren 8.00

2 - Tai Woffiden 4.50

3 - David Howe 7.25

4 - Adam Skornicki 4.50

5 - Mikael Max 6.33

6 - Will Lawson 3.75

7 - Magnus Karlsson 4.10

Thats Why  ;)

Yeah i agree, that looks better to me. :)

Why its a complete shambles.

The CL has offered young/new riders a proper constructive less competitive than the 2nd Division (PL) league to fine tune their talents.

The CL has offered capable riders who although aren't good enough for higher leagues but are still capable of producing entertaining speedway an outlet.

The CL is much more constructive and provides more opportunities than what the old 2nd half junior/reserve leagues ever managed to be!

The CL has offered teams like Boston, Mildenhall, Stoke, Scunthorpe, Rye House, Berwick, St Austell at a new venue who all struggled to afford higher league racing in the past and had closed down an cheaper alternative to allow them to reopen, rejuvenate then eventually make the move back into higher league racing. - I'm local to Mldenhall and believe me without the CL the Fen Tigers would of never come back into speedway and I'd say the same applies at Rye House as well.

The CL has also offers opportunities for new teams/old training tracks such as Plymouth (yes I know they had a team up to 1970 but this is a new track and 36 years down the line!) Buxton, Somerset, Iwade (Sittingbourne), the old Linlithgow to try league racing and in the case of Somerset and I suspect soon in the future Plymouth the momentum to try a higher league.

The Premier league in particular has the CL to thank for its strength of numbers.

Without the CL this year Oxford speedway would now be defunct instead of the situation now when the CL has given them a fighting chance of building itself up again. The same scanario applied in 1996 at Arena Essex cause when the previous 1995 top flight promotion uped and left to supposedly pastures greener at Hackney. The stadium owners at Arena kept speedway alive there by running CL when otherwise speedway would of probably closed.

Yes I'd agree that an element of the CL namely the utterly ridiculous grading system is shambolic but the concept of the CL is brilliant in that it has done so much for the sport in terms of teams, tracks and riders.

The CL should be preserved at all costs!

Again I've seen more posters put in their prefered league set ups for next with Exeter, Buxton and Sittingbourne in a reorganised PL.

Exeter aren't running next year while Sittingbourne and Buxton have small budgets at CL level so wouldn't contemplate a higher league set up.

Anyway getting rid of the CL would see the end of the Rye House Raiders and the Boston Barracudas - 2 of the better ran and productive CL outfits.

Edited by 25yearfan

Cracking post that 25 yearfan

As for league points limit and structures the point limit has to be thought out to the benefit of all teams, not just picking points limits that favour one team but not another, the speedway still suffers due to favouritism shown to one and not the other, to many look out for there own interests rather than the sports IMO.

As for this league structure of who has the most money , is this taking into account the fact that some teams have " mud money " like Redcar and Peterborough who if it were not for rich investors would be no better of than most other run of the mill teams, its certainly not there crowds that are paying for there riders.

No this isnt sour grapes just legitmatmae questions I feel need asked, based on crowds and finance is a ridiculous concept IMO are they going to base the crowds on meetings they choose two or the whole season, what then happens if a team they want to be EL eg Eastbourne are getting smaller cords than say Edinburgh , a team that it wouldn't be viable to go EL .

This sort of arrangement was introduced in 1995 whereby divisions 1 and 2 were combined into one league. This didn't work as all that happened was that the former top division teams finished at the top and the lower at the bottom end. In fact Middlesborough dropped out altogether mid-season because they couldn't compete. Therefore I don't believe that combining the two leagues would work.

However I can visualise a situation whereby a two-league system could operate between the Premier and Conference Leagues. At present there are 10 clubs competing in the Conference League but all, but three, are 'stand-alone' clubs. Scunthorpe have already applied to join the Premier League next year. It is clear that the clubs which are not part of promotions running in higher leagues have a different agenda form those which are. Their primary aim is to win the league etc. instead of being an outlet to train youngsters and create a feed to the parent team.

The Elite League in its current format cannot support ten teams who can run at a competitive level. Oxford having to withdraw then problems experienced by Belle Vue, Ipswich and, more recently, Reading have demonstrated this. With the resources available, meaning the number of overseas riders prepared to commit themselves to a full season, our Elite League can only run to eight teams. We have been in this situation before, of course, but it doesn't provide a great deal of variety of opposition. Also, I am not sure Sty TV would be happy with this arrangement. A squad system could be considered as, I believe, that a few riders who we don't see in the UK would be prepared to ride here as long as they could restrict their meetings. I have no idea how the system works in Sweden but the top two riders in our Elite League clubs could be shared positions in some cases. For example, Ipswich could bring in both Hampel and Gollob but not both at the same time. In situations where neither was available RR would be the alternative option.

In summary I realise this is all a fudge but when we are in a situation where their are too few riders and not enough money there has to be a compromise.

Edited by tocha

CL has been one of the best innovations ever in speedway - so it should stay in its present state!

That says much for the league! :unsure::rolleyes:

Edited by speedyguy

me and a friend have given a lot of thought to what they could do next season and this is what we came up with.

riders and fans have to travel many miles throughout the season which costs a fortune. this cost would be reduced if we had a northern league and a southern league.

the northern league consisting of:

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Newcastle

Redcar

Workington

Sheffield

Stoke

Scunthorpe

Belle Vue

Berwick

Kings Lynn

Wolverhampton

Birmingham

and the southern league:

Isle of Wight

Swindon

Mildenhall

Newport

Poole

Coventry

Somerset

Rye House

Peterborough

Reading

Ipswich

Lakeside

Eastbourne

Exeter (if they step up)

leave the conference league as it is.

the northern and southern leagues race home and away against the teams in their league with the top 2 or 4 teams from each going into a knockout playoffs over 2 legs to decide the overall winner.

plus the same with the knockout cup. teams face teams from their own league in knockout style until each league has 1 team left. those 2 teams then meet over 2 legs to decide the KOC winner.

me and a friend have given a lot of thought to what they could do next season and this is what we came up with.

riders and fans have to travel many miles throughout the season which costs a fortune. this cost would be reduced if we had a northern league and a southern league.

the northern league consisting of:

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Newcastle

Redcar

Workington

Sheffield

Stoke

Scunthorpe

Belle Vue

Berwick

Kings Lynn

Wolverhampton

Birmingham

and the southern league:

Isle of Wight

Swindon

Mildenhall

Newport

Poole

Coventry

Somerset

Rye House

Peterborough

Reading

Ipswich

Lakeside

Eastbourne

Exeter (if they step up)

leave the conference league as it is.

the northern and southern leagues race home and away against the teams in their league with the top 2 or 4 teams from each going into a knockout playoffs over 2 legs to decide the overall winner.

plus the same with the knockout cup. teams face teams from their own league in knockout style until each league has 1 team left. those 2 teams then meet over 2 legs to decide the KOC winner.

This is an interesting suggestion put forward but you have two 2007 elite league league clubs in the first league and the remaining eight in the other. It is unlikely that elite league clubs will part with their 'assets' so I don't see how this will work.

As I have stated earlier on this thread a combined premier/conference league could work because there isn't such a differential between team strengths.

Edited by tocha

Geographiclly speaking isn't Kings Lynn Lower down in the country than Coventry and P/Boro. Just thinking that would solve the under weight northern league.

Terry

Geographiclly speaking isn't Kings Lynn Lower down in the country than Coventry and P/Boro.

King's Lynn is further north than both places, unless you mean it's lower in the sense of elevation. :wink:

Just thinking that would solve the under weight northern league.

Regionalised leagues would cause more problems than they solve, for precisely the above reason. The teams on the edges of the regions (particularly the northern region) would still end-up with umpteen long trips and potentially no local derbies.

The amount of money saved on travel would be minimal, and the issues of travelling fans is somewhat irrelevant are you're lucky to get a few tens of away fans at any meeting these days.

The idea is just a non-starter, even if you ignore the problems of combining BEL and BPL tracks. Such a system would only work if you had regionalised conferences where you had more meetings against other teams in your region, but still rode against teams from the other conference as well.

King's Lynn is further north than both places, unless you mean it's lower in the sense of elevation. :wink:

Regionalised leagues would cause more problems than they solve, for precisely the above reason. The teams on the edges of the regions (particularly the northern region) would still end-up with umpteen long trips and potentially no local derbies.

The amount of money saved on travel would be minimal, and the issues of travelling fans is somewhat irrelevant are you're lucky to get a few tens of away fans at any meeting these days.

The idea is just a non-starter, even if you ignore the problems of combining BEL and BPL tracks. Such a system would only work if you had regionalised conferences where you had more meetings against other teams in your region, but still rode against teams from the other conference as well.

Agree totally!

Regionalisation goes on now anyway as it is - Look at all the northern tracks that make up a big chunk of the PL. They stay there cause they know they'll get local away fans coming to meetings which wouldn't happen if they went in to the EL.

I'm sure that with their large support, Workington would of moved up into the EL by now if they were more central.

Sorry local geography wasn't my specialty.... anyway it was my ploy to get the good friday saddlebow race back nothing better then hammering up the A14 after the meeting.

You could always do an east west split.

Terry

Due to different standards, what clubs can afford, regionalising wont really work as a main league, however for a British League where EL teams tone down, these five groups could be used.

Berwick

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Newcastle

Redcar

Workington

Sheffield

Stoke

Belle Vue

Wolverhampton

Birmingham

Kings Lynn

Mildenhall

Coventry

Peterborough

Scunthorpe

Eastbourne

Rye House

Reading

Ipswich

Lakeside

Isle of Wight

Newport

Poole

Somerset

Swindon

Example; Birmingham V Wolves (which happens on 22nd and 24th October)

BIRMINGHAM; Jason Lyons, Henning Bager r/r, Manuel Hausinger, Henrik Moller, Phil Morris, Lee Smart, Ben Powell

WOLVES; David Howe, Tai Woffiden, Ronnie Correy, Magnus Karlsson, Nicolai Klindt, Will Lawson, Joe Haines.

Just an idea :rolleyes: