Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marcusthepom

Anders Michanek

Per Olaf Soderman came to the U K to ride for Coventry Bees on the recommendation of Ove Fundin. I think he took the Brandon track record on his first night there.

The 50/50 split was not how it was at first. When the Continentals first staged their own rounds only 4 got to reach the Final direct. Prior to that they had to ride in our Qualifying rounds starting on our 2nd division tracks. At one time I know Reg Morgan, Bob Mark and Phil Clarke rode in Continental rounds. The Swedes made the initial breakthrough and other countries had just the odd one who qualified but as the sport progressed in Europe so they all wanted a cut of the places on "Wembley" night. Among the riders who never qualified for a Final it is somewhat of a surprise to find the name of Arne Pander.

Edited by star ghost

So SG, it's really all the fault of the Norwich No. 1.

Fancy having the cheek of winning the title 5 times...:D

The main problem I had with the old system, was the 50/50 split between the Western speedway nations and the "Eastern bloc" countries in terms of allocation of actual final places.

Whilst the system did allow a National League heat leader (or British League reserve) progress up the ranks from say an April meeting at Crayford through to the British Final and beyond, it was patently unfair that at times (especially 1978 when only 4 Brits were allowed to reach the final!) that the Poles. Czechs and Russians had a far,far easier route to Wembley, Ullevi or Katowice.

Apart from the odd upset, Gordeev in 1971, Sczakciel and Plech in 1973, Plech again in 1979, you could almost guess the bottom four placings in advance.

In no way, do I mean to belittle the efforts of the likes of Plech, Jancarz, Stancl, but surely Petr Ondrasik et al added little to proceedings??

Well done on the Crayford mention, pd..: I'd have been proud of that one!!! ;)

Looking back at the World Finals of what I'd consider to be something of a golden era (certainly the era I was going to World Finals more often than not..) you're certainly right that the Eastern Europeans did monopolise the bottom positions.

1975: bottom 5 all Poles & Russians; ditto 1976 (even though in Poland!); 1977: Poles & Czechs in the bottom four; 1978 & 1979: 4 out of the bottom 5, East Europeans; 1980 4 out of the bottom 5 this time (with Egon Muller the (slightly) odd man out!; and again 4 out of 5 in 1981.

You mention Zenon Plech as an honourable exception but looking at the World Final stats from his era, it is remarkable to note that though he is one of a comparative few riders to have two rostrum positions to his name (in '73 and '79) he also finished in the bottom three no fewer than FOUR times ('75, '80, 81 & '83) :o

The fact that the likes of Plech, Muller and Jancarz [2nd. in '68 but himself a bottom five finisher several times ('75,'76,'77 & '81)] suggests to me that the World Finals were consistently far more competitive than the current World Championship format. The likes of Greg Hancock are untroubled each year in remaining in the GP without seriously challenging for the title. There was no such comfort zone in the proper World Championship...

That would be the Greg Hancock who finished 2nd in 2006 would it?

Having said that I take your point. We used to be in a position where riders like Crump or Sanders would sometimes be out of the World Championship race before the European season had even started.

I can see where Parseloes is coming from here talking of comfort zones.

The GP system is still something of a closed shop, and sadly contains rather too many veterans for my liking. (Due regard to the outstanding efforts of Crumpy, Adams etc but where and how is the new talent going to emerge?).

My only wish is to see the GP qualification process opened up further with the re-instatement of the FIM qualifying rounds, culminating in a 16 rider GP Qualifier with the bottom 6 riders from the GP standings joined by the top 3 from say the Continental Final and top 6 from the Intercontinental final.

This way, the existing GP riders get the opportunity to prove themselves worthy of another crack at the title.

I can see where Parseloes is coming from here talking of comfort zones.

The GP system is still something of a closed shop, and sadly contains rather too many veterans for my liking. (Due regard to the outstanding efforts of Crumpy, Adams etc but where and how is the new talent going to emerge?).

My only wish is to see the GP qualification process opened up further with the re-instatement of the FIM qualifying rounds, culminating in a 16 rider GP Qualifier with the bottom 6 riders from the GP standings joined by the top 3 from say the Continental Final and top 6 from the Intercontinental final.

This way, the existing GP riders get the opportunity to prove themselves worthy of another crack at the title.

You say the bottom six from the GPs..: then what about the top ten..: surely that's far too many to be allowed to stay in every year..? :unsure::o

I'd say only the top four from the GPs stay in and only the next four go into the GP Challenge. Others who fear they're going to miss out on the top eight will need to compete in the World Championship rounds in order to try and qualify. :neutral:

This is NOT the sort of system I want to see really (there should be a world championship which stands alone in the year it's competed for, not one based entirely on the previous year..!); but if we have to stick with the GPs, this would at least mean that we don't have the sterile, pointless cosy boys club we currently see.

The idea of missing out on qualification but this not mattering because you're bound to be nominated provided you come from the right country as we currently see happening makes an utter mockery of the sport.. :angry:

You say the bottom six from the GPs..: then what about the top ten..: surely that's far too many to be allowed to stay in every year..? :unsure:  :o

I'd say only the top four from the GPs stay in and only the next four go into the GP Challenge.  Others who fear they're going to miss out on the top eight will need to compete in the World Championship rounds in order to try and qualify. :neutral:

This is NOT the sort of system I want to see really (there should be a world championship which stands alone in the year it's competed for, not one based entirely on the previous year..!); but if we have to stick with the GPs, this would at least mean that we don't have the sterile, pointless cosy boys club we currently see.

The idea of missing out on qualification but this not mattering because you're bound to be nominated provided you come from the right country as we currently see happening makes an utter mockery of the sport.. :angry:

That's how it works with GPs in all motorcycle disciplines under FIM rules. If you have objections, suggest you write to them with your views.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

Yes. It would be great to create an age barrier here as well we hve in UK speedway - where it is ruining the sport. It's ability not age that should decide GP and all speedway placements.

In the USA, Gene Bonsignore has just won the season-long East Coast points championship and he's nearly 60 years old. Good job he's not trying for a Conference League place. Someone would find an obscure 15 year old to replace him! :rolleyes:

Edited by speedyguy

Age barrier? Where did I say that?

Do you not agree that it's far harder to get into the GP series than it is to get out of it? As to Crumpy and Adams, if they and the other "veterans" finish high enough up in the rankings then they fully deserve to retain their status in the World's elite.

My worry is that we are in the business of providing entertainment, and the inclusion of younger, hungrier world class talent may help give the sport a shot in the arm.

In terms of precedent look back at the early 1950's. The likes of Parker, Duggan, Price and Kitchen were quickly swamped by Moore, Briggs, Craven and Fundin. This "new wave" of talent led the way for a decade or more and encouraged a new level of professionalism within the sport.

Age barrier? Where did I say that?

Do you not agree that it's far harder to get into the GP series than it is to get out of it? As to Crumpy and Adams, if they and the other "veterans" finish high enough up in the rankings then they fully deserve to retain their status in the World's elite.

My worry is that we are in the business of providing entertainment, and the inclusion of younger, hungrier world class talent may help give the sport a shot in the arm.

In terms of precedent look back at the early 1950's. The likes of Parker, Duggan, Price and Kitchen were quickly swamped by Moore, Briggs, Craven and Fundin. This "new wave" of talent led the way for a decade or more and encouraged a new level of professionalism within the sport.

The transition took place as a natural progression. There was none of the fast-tracking of kids by shuffling averages that takes place in some sections of the sport in the UK these days.

Edited by speedyguy

The transition took place as a natural progression. There was none of the fast-tracking of kids by shuffling averages that takes place in some sections of the sport in the UK these days.

"Fast-tracking of kids"..??!!

Can't see any of that happening in respect of the World Championship.

If Tai Woffinden had been riding in the mid-'70s I'd predict he'd have been a World Finalist by the time he was 20. Under the GPs I'd be surprised if he's allowed anything beyond a pointless 'wild-card' in a home GP before he's, what, 26/27..

By then will he be interested in applying himself to a championship from which he'd effectively have been prohibited for so long..?? The Ed Kennett situation suggests, perhaps not.

But it'll be okay..: Greg Hancock will still be collecting his GP pension in it..!! :blink:

"Fast-tracking of kids"..??!!

Can't see any of that happening in respect of the World Championship.

If Tai Woffinden had been riding in the mid-'70s I'd predict he'd have been a World Finalist by the time he was 20.  Under the GPs I'd be surprised if he's allowed anything beyond a pointless 'wild-card' in a home GP before he's, what, 26/27..

By then will he be interested in applying himself to a championship from which he'd effectively have been prohibited for so long..??  The Ed Kennett situation suggests, perhaps not.

But it'll be okay..: Greg Hancock will still be collecting his GP pension in it..!! :blink:

No objections to Tai Woffinden getting a GP chance. Cannot see the AMA agreeing to no Americans in the GP at the next FIM Congress. So what Brit would you like to see go out to make way for him?

Edited by speedyguy

If things go the way Messers Olsen and Posslewatsit seem to want them, then a young rider will get in at 18 if he can bring enough sponsorship money to the series, the same as all the other minor motor sport world championships.

Hold on Trick qualified for every gp series he was involved in, usually by being the defending champion.

Also what is to stop somebody like Tai Woffinden going through the qualifying rounds now?

Perosnally I think he would struggle to score more than 6 points in the british final at the minute.

Edited by Sir Jasper