British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Bob Paulson And John Dews

After the thread on Jack Kitchen are these two folks still around-someone told me Bob had committed suicide years ago-what of John Dews. What happened to both after they finished at Sheffield-did they ride for other teams. I recall both of them as real gentlemen tho I remember Bob used to look awful doleful at times. I'm thinking of the mid -sixties here.

After the thread on Jack Kitchen are these two folks still around-someone told me Bob had committed suicide years ago-what of John Dews. What happened to both after they finished at Sheffield-did they ride for other teams. I recall both of them as real gentlemen tho I remember Bob used to look awful doleful at times. I'm thinking of the mid -sixties here.

Bob Paulson, retire after the season of either 1974 or 1975, an died around about 1980, he did not ride speedway for any other team, and yes you are correct Bob did commit sucide.

Sad to say that John Dews is no longer with us, I think he died of a brain tumour, he went on to ride for Oxford and White City, and I believe that he retire in 1976, he came back to Team Manage Sheffield in 1977, and he did that until 1980. He later went onto Promote at Stoke.

Yes bob was a very rare rider, one that only rode for one team. one of the best captains sheffield ever had, remember him standing down from a few rides to let an in form reserve have another ride. Captained us to only ever british league trophy in 1974.

Joh dews only left us because of rider control, we were never allocated another rider in his place though, his place in the team being shared by reg wilson and doug wyer who were riding in division 2 at the time, a fortaste of doubling up?

I thought John Dews rode for Wimbledon at some time

On the subjerct of one-team riders - Phil Clarke (13 years) Norwich Stars was a prime example of this type of rider

thanx folks tho sad to hear-was interested in Starghost post re one team riders e.g. Phil Clarke-anybody think of any more from that era-was thinking Billy Bales but he started with Yarmouth-I guess Vic Duggan always rode for Harringay

thanx folks tho sad to hear-was interested in Starghost post re one team riders e.g. Phil Clarke-anybody think of any more from that era-was thinking Billy Bales but he started with Yarmouth-I guess Vic Duggan always rode for Harringay

In the immediate pre-war season Vic Duggan was with Wimbledon. Before that, it was with Hackney.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

:D:D

Billy Bales has a special place in my memories.

He started as a Norwich second half (?whats that?) rider and was sent to Yarmouth when they opened as Norwichs Dick Wise ran both tracks. The Bloaters started as Stars Nursery track you might say.

After Service (R A F) Billy went into the Stars team for 1952 and rode for us till closure of the Firs in 1964. This like Phil Clarke gives 13 years service to the team. He rode for Sheffield till retirement (around 1969)

Bearing in mind the run of injuries he suffered he did not do too bad did he

I could add Bert Spencer (Norwich 1937 till 1949) but that would be cheating - The War years cannot count can they

Edited by star ghost

Ronnie Moore spoiled probably the best one team record by riding in just two matches for Coventry. Apart from that he rode for Wimbledon from 1950 - 1972.

• Like 1

I thought R M missed out some years during that time.

How about Cyril "Salty" Brine at Wimbledon for a number of years

Yes, he did miss out some years altogether - 1957 and 1964 - 68 - but for the other 17 years he only rode for Wimbledon (apart from the two matches for Coventry in 1972), which must be the record.

There was, of course, Tommy Price. Wembley 1935 - 1956, a total of 22 years, but, as with Bert Spencer, there were 7 years lost because of the War.

Edited by norbold

I remember Bob as a bit wacky.Probably only saw him the once(at least i only remember the one time)must have been 73/74.I was waiting in the pits outside the changing room with a mate getting autographs when he came out.Wasn't sure who he was(our plan was ,if they had wet hair,get an autograph :D )when he,for no apparent reason started calling me "the wizard".He even signed my book "To the wizard",which i still have.One of the riders and one of the incidents that will stay with me.

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Sad to say that John Dews is no longer with us, I think he died of a brain tumour, he went on to ride for Oxford and White City, and I believe that he retire in 1976, he came back to Team Manage Sheffield in 1977, and he did that until 1980. He later went onto Promote at Stoke.

I think it was the mid 90's, I remember we had a minutes' silence for him.

I think it was the mid 90's, I remember we had a minutes' silence for him.

August 1995