British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jblanch69

Vintage Speedway World Champions Nostalgia Night

Many of you are aware that for somewhile I have been arranging (with the encouragement and support of Ove Fundin) a fans night 'evening with Ove, Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore, Bjorn Knutson, Freddie Williams and Peter Collins. Special guest Igor Plechanov.

It will be a 'Do not miss event' as the likelyhood of getting all these guys together again in one place is zilch. When Ove met Igor in Russia to make arrangements to visit the UK, Igor had to travel on a train for 4 days from one side of the country to the other where Ove was staying!

A lot of effort is going into this event and it is being done for the hell of it and not as a profit exercise. (When half the ticket price will be the cost per head of the buffet and 12 bedrooms have to be booked and paid for).

It will be a great night with a few surprises.

Les Collins has kindley loaned his replica winged wheel world championship trophy to us so that we can recreate some historic pictures as the riders are today.

It will be Ronnie Moore's 70 birthday the day before and Ove a few months later. They are looking to celebrate the occasion 'big time' If you are planning to visit the BSPA show on the same date this is not far from there and starts well after that show finishes. Tickets, (which are limited to 150) only I am afraid but I would ask you if you are available to support this event.

Allesley Hotel Coventry on the A45 just outside Coventry in the village of Allesley from 7pm Sunday the 9th of March. Please email me for more details or visit the web site:

Thanks....Jim Blanchard

http://freespace.virgin.net/jack.parker/fans_night.htm

Ronnie Moore's 70 birthday the day before

So we'll be celebrating this at the VSRA meal the night before. :D:P

For any real speedway fans out there I would definately recommend going to the Nostalgia Night.

As mentioned, it's not very often you get a host of such big names together in one place. Between them there are some fantastic stories so please support the efforts of the organisers.

the VSRA dinner is only for their members and guests only and not the general public :-o

Oooooooo first time in my life I am honoured, I'm going to the VSRA dinner as a guest does that mean my Unc has to pay for my ticket Honey pmsl ;) more chance of flying to the moon me thinks :roll:

I'm going to the VSRA dinner as a guest does that mean my Unc has to pay for my ticket Honey

Well I'm a member of the VSRA but am normally a guest of Mauger but do you think he has paid for my ticket? ;)

I'm going to the VSRA dinner as a guest does that mean my Unc has to pay for my ticket Honey

Well I'm a member of the VSRA but am normally a guest of Mauger but do you think he has paid for my ticket? ;)

watch it Steve with a posting like this your bound to get somebacklash I did with my reply :roll: pmsl

I take it all back. I apologize for everything

Sorry Guys I left Ivan Mauger off the list of names for this event.

Jim

Dont tell him :)

Guest mrs sheffield

Reading the names of all the riders that will be attending made me think that some of you out there may have heard of my father-in-law Russell Lang,who sadly passed away on Feb 1st 2003.Ronnie attended the funeral but sadly Ivan and Barry had business commitments that stopped them attending.Ivan did manage to stop by to see my mother-in-law and Barry has rung and sent flowers.We have also received e-mails from Ove Fundin and Bert Harkins and would like to thank all for their kind thoughts.

Dont know if this is the right place to post this but seeing all the names of dads old mates made me think it might be.He'd have loved to attend it and have a good old reminisce!!

Jill

Reading the names of all the riders that will be attending made me think that some of you out there may have heard of my father-in-law Russell Lang,who sadly passed away on Feb 1st 2003.Ronnie attended the funeral but sadly Ivan and Barry had business commitments that stopped them attending.Ivan did manage to stop by to see my mother-in-law and Barry has rung and sent flowers.We have also received e-mails from Ove Fundin and Bert Harkins and would like to thank all for their kind thoughts.

Dont know if this is the right place to post this but seeing all the names of dads old mates made me think it might be.He'd have loved to attend it and have a good old reminisce!!

Jill

Jill, sorry to here about Russell passing away, I think dad rung Ruth the other day. I only met Russell once or twice when I was very young, but always remember him as CHCH speedway, the two went together. I think dad has some cine film of Russell and the kids (your husband) when their were little, from when dad rode down at CHCH in the mid 60's.

Robert Andrews

Guest mrs sheffield

Thanks for your comments Jim and that would be a lovely tribute for Russ.He toured England with speedway in 1972(the year I believe Barry lost part of his finger?)and he was the manager of the Mauger-Briggs World Champion series here in NZ.He ran an open-door policy at his home in Christchurch and all visiting riders were welcome,Egon Muller being one he remembered well.He was largly responsible for keeping speedway alive here in Christchurch and was a life member of the Chch speedway association,the Canterbury Vintage Speedway Enthusiasts Club and a member of the Speedway hall of fame.I hear that there was a lovely write up of him in the Speedway Star 2wks ago so I'm sure that there will be some at your dinner that will have known of him.Just as a matter of interest to yourselves,just before his death my husband and his brother managed to restore Russ's old Jap bike and have it blat (albeit not too fast!) round the track here with my nephew riding it.We also had it on display at the service and it revived a lot of fond memories for some.

Regards Jill

Guest mrs sheffield

Hi Robert ,thanks for that.Would luv to see the cine film- can never pass up a chance to laugh at what the boys looked like when they were younger !! It may be my brother-in-law Rick on the film as he took up riding and now his 2 sons have inherited the bug so the Lang name will still go on in speedway I believe.

Jill :)

Szczakiel I think is going to the VSRA meal the night before so I expect he will be at the nostalgia night with all the others

Not quite, but when someone I know is asked to give up their room so Jerzy Szczakiel can have it sort of gives the game away don't you think ;)

if it's gonna help put bums on seats...

especially at £25 per ticket

maybe i'll just have to check with you before posting on the forum