British Speedway Forum
star ghost

Geoff Pymar

Given your journalistic background I am alarmed but unsurprised by the inaccuracies in much of what you post Speedyguy.

Let me assure the world that Rob Hollingworth retired from the Conference League painlessly and voluntarily and was not "forced" out of the sport by anybody.

That may be the case in respect of other riders who have not gained a place because of a high grading but Rob has no wish to race in the CL anymore.  He does the odd STR meeting and that is all that he is interested in doing.

Malcolm Vasey

Gosh Malcolm! Inaccuracies - I thought you were going to tell me that Keith Harvey was a Canadian! Thanks for clearing up the Rob Hollingworth situation.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

I used to see Geoff on a regular basis at Diss Golf Club where he could still play a mean round of golf.

He beat me a few times

I don't know how true it is but legend has it at one time he caddied for Tony Jacklin

• Like 1

My Father in Law, Geoff, was nicknamed Pymar after Geoff Pymar, his fav Norwich rider, in the days when EVERYONE you talk to of a certain age either walked, biked, motorbiked or bus'd it to Norwich Speedway :-D ✴

• Like 1

The number of times that Wal Morton and Geoff Pymar are referred to as 'Team Mates' would aggrevate Geoff although he did ride at the same venue on several occasions but not necessarily at the same time, he was never 'bosom pals' with Wal. They were two very different people!

He did caddy for Tony Jacklin was very friendly with Jack Nicklaus and many other top golfers and exchanged Letters and Greetings cards with many of the very best golfers in the world including Tiger Woods.

He did 4 laps on a 'lay-down' engine at King's Lynn when he was 87 (I believe that was his age at the time) and he likened it to a Rolls Royce compared with the JAPs that he rode.

He was a lovely man as well as being a very interesting person and being of Norfolk/Suffolk extraction particularly interesting to a local yokel such as me.

Why didn't Geoff Pymar and Wal Morton "get on" as your Post appears to infer?

They both competed in the early 1930s grass-speedway events in East Anglia, then they were team mates at Wimbledon for several seasons in the 1930s, at Norwich in the mid-1950s, then in the 1960s at both Bradford and Middlesbrough (and even rode as team partners to create a pairing where the combined ages exceeded 100 years). I haven't checked this but they may also have been at Harringay at the same time in the 1940s?

I remember seeing them both at Middlesbrough in 1961, Pymar was a very amiable man ,Wal was intense , always had Mrs.Morton with Him. I still have autographed photos of both.