British Speedway Forum
star ghost

Geoff Pymar

In the latest edition there is an article about Geoff Pymar

It is a great pity that the author didn't get his facts correct first

As usual I expect his words will be taken as "Gospel" though

Geoff did not have "a career which lasted 23 years" I will accept he started on track at Norwich in 1930. He did not retire in 1953 however. In as late as 1962 Geoff was riding for Bradford in the Provincial League. Whilst doing so he again joined up with his ex Norwich associate from the mid 50s Wal Morton. At Bradford they formed a heat partnership on a number of occasions. Both were 50 year old at the time making this partnership a "Centurion Act".

1930 - 1962 makes a career of 27 years (both seasons inclusive and not counting 1940 - 45, war years)

Edited by star ghost
  • Like 1

In the latest edition there is an article about Geoff Pymar

It is a great pity that the author didn't get his facts correct first

As usual I expect his words will be taken as "Gospel" though

Geoff did not have "a career which lasted 23 years" I will accept he started on track at Norwich in 1930. He did not retire in 1953 however. In as late as 1962 Geoff was riding for Bradford in the Provincial League. Whilst doing so he again joined up with his ex Norwich associate from the mid 50s Wal Morton. At Bradford they formed a heat partnership on a number of occasions. Both were 50 year old at the time making this partnership a "Centurion Act".

1930 - 1962 makes a career of 27 years (both seasons inclusive and not counting 1940 - 45, war years)

Don't forget that Wal Morton and Geoff Pymar were originally team mates when they rode for Wimbledon in the mid-1930s, probably 1934-37?

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

If there was a 'glaring error' in VSM, I would have thought it would make more sense to have pointed it out by writing direct to the magazine in which it appeared (so that they and the author of that particular piece are immediately aware of any errors), rather than making an unnecessary public issue of it by posting it on the forum.

That is, unless you are deliberately looking to undermine the mag and/or the author in question?

If we've cocked-up, I'll hold up my hand and admit it.

But no-one likes a smart arse.

Tony Mac

• Like 1

I am sorry tmc if you are upset about my posting. I am not trying to undermine V S M as you put it. I am a subscriber anyhow.

I was just as upset as you are now when I read the erroneous article.

I feel there are too many mistakes made when the past is written about. If I think it is wrong I will always say so.

If it concerns Norwich or our riders from the past I will definitely get upset even moreso.

As I said I'm sorry if you are upset, but so was I

I reckon I will just have to grin and bear it

Geoff Pymar riding at Bristol in 1960.

Hi Mr Star Ghost

I too am interested in Geoff Pymar since he rode for Norwich, as has been said, in my earliest days of attending speedway. I recall him and Wal Morton well from those days when you and I must have stood on the same terraces looking rather different I expect to how we look today.

I cannot understand why there has been no attempt to develop a real Norwich track such as at Hethel perhaps or even the Showground. It is the saddest thing to me about speedway that there is no track at Norwich or in the area.

Even a revival at Great Yarmouth would help

Malcolm Vasey

There have been numerous attempts to develop a speedway track in the Norwich area. At least 30 since 1964. Most of them have been turned down by the Council, though I believe the Showground itself won't have speedway.

There have been numerous attempts to develop a speedway track in the Norwich area. At least 30 since 1964.

Yes I was aware of attempts in the early barren years but not recently as far as I am aware.

Councils change, although there has been a general hardening of the attitude of planners against speedway. I would be interested to know from a professional planner, if there is one that reads this forum, how it is that Football Clubs with all the attenedant nuisance can build stadia and yet Speedway, which isn't even policed cannot get a plan through for love nor money.

I wish that there was some corporate activity within the sport to overcome these prioblems. Sadly, there doen't seem to be.

Malcolm Vasey

Hi Malcolm

Your mention of Hethel interests me as the Lotus Empire is there and it is only a couple of miles from where I live. With the surrounding woodlands the noise from Lotus is un-noticeable.

The site was looked at some years back with a view to trying for a track there but Lotus did not really want to know.

The Showground has an "Over my dead body" attitude to Speedway. Those who have the running of the place do not want it so as it's their land then no hope there.

I know questions were asked of Councillors who were at Ove's Freedom Night at Norwich. Nothing has happened though.

As you no doubt know from the Boston angle the planners are not on our side. The amazing about turn at Birmingham was the exception. Look at the ways the "new Exeter" is being held up. There's always some new reason to say no.

Snetterton was a possible place at one time but like Swaffham it was not really Norwich. Whilst Swaffham is near Lynn so Snetterton would be classed as near Mildenhall so that would have caused problems.

Regarding Geoff - were you there the night that idiot jumped the fence and landed under Geoffs front wheel, if anything could happen it would be Geoff on the receiving end. He was an excellent example to all with his sportsmanship and always ready to sign autographs for the pit hanging kids.

Edited by star ghost

Regarding Geoff - were you there the night that idiot jumped the fence and landed under Geoffs front wheel,

Yes Star Ghost I was there. A long forgotten incident that you have reminded me of.

Norwich Speedway was meant to move into Boundary Park I believe and that never happend and of course the City's two greyhound stadiums have long since disappeared into housing developments.

Surely it is the disappearance of leisure facilities for profits that is the cause of many of Society's present day ills. How can anybody legitimately turn down speedway through an elongated planning process yet somehow allow football stadia to be developed? It has to be about money I suppose.

Speedway has to get itself into the public eye again perhaps by full reports in the press appearing as adverts, paid for by the Clubs corporatelyand taking up whole pages would help including fixtures and tables. The reports wouild need to be in depth even the Speedway Star does not look at a match or meeting in any dpeth these days. By that I mean examining the racecard and highlighting the key races and the likely defining points but that is never seen in modern speedway previews. The generic "We should win this one" or "It's going to be close" from various Promoters is not enough.

However, I doubt the days that you and I recall will ever come back and that is also something to do with the times as much as any shortcomings within the sport.

I had the pleasure of meeting Geoff Pymar at Mildenhall a few years ago and talked to him at length one night at one of the Presentation Evenings perhaps ten years ago. He was a splendid gentleman who even at 80+ talked of having another ride on one of Dean Garrod's bikes. I met my boyhood hero, Ove Fundin, at a World Cup Final at Peterborough and I felt humble because seeing my BSPA badge and blazer the great man called me "Sir". The situation was quite paradoxical and he is another gentleman of our sport.

I will never forget as a schoolboy taking my bike to Norwich Speedway at the Firs with 100's of others and parking in the gardens of the various dwellings along the Cromer Road the bikes never being locked (couldn't afford a lock anyway) and never interfered with by anyone to my knowledge. I believe they charged 3d or 6d to allow you to leave them there.

Oh for a return to a society at that level.

Malcolm Vasey

Edited by Brave Barracuda

He was an excellent example to all with his sportsmanship and  always ready to sign autographs for the pit hanging kids.

He signed his autograph for me once...and I was only about 55 then! :)

That's amazing, where did that clip come from? Was it from TV?

I was a schoolboy fan at New Cross in 1946 when I asked Geoff Pymar if I could wheel his bike to the pits. He joked that he didn't need help "like that old boy next to me." It was the South African rider Keith Harvey, then 50 years old and the oldest rider in speedway at that time. In the end I helped both get their bikes to the pits and earned sixpence.

Some 14 years later, Pymar was emulating Harvey by riding at 50 years of age, as was Wal Morton.

Good job all three weren't trying for places in the Conference League. They would have been forced out of the sport as, seemingly, in recent years has been dear old Rob Hollingsworth who is another 50 year old rider.

In the USA, Gene Bonisgnore makes much of the running on the East Coast - and he's 59 years

old. Is age really a barrier? Is there too much emphasis on kids these days?

But I am getting away from the real theme - dear old Geoff Pymar, a great asset to the sport. And didn't he also drive midget cars and stock cars - oops! That theme is sure to upset somebody somehwere! :unsure:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

They would have been forced out of the sport as, seemingly, in recent years has been dear old Rob Hollingsworth who is another 50 year old rider.

Given your journalistic background I am alarmed but unsurprised by the inaccuracies in much of what you post Speedyguy.

Let me assure the world that Rob Hollingworth retired from the Conference League painlessly and voluntarily and was not "forced" out of the sport by anybody.

That may be the case in respect of other riders who have not gained a place because of a high grading but Rob has no wish to race in the CL anymore. He does the odd STR meeting and that is all that he is interested in doing.

Malcolm Vasey