British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mylor

European Speedway Club Champions Cup Final, Debrecen

Hunting round the FIM site I found reference to the European Motorcycle Union who's Track Racing Rule Book lays down the rules for a European Speedway Club Champions Cup!!

The Group A round was held in Latvia on 10th August and the final will be held in Debrecen, Hungary on 27th September. It's format is similar to the SWC.

So who's reached the final??

Debrecen HUN

Pardubice CZE

Togliatti RUS

Bydgoszcz POL

Ljubljana SLO

And how far did the British and Swedish teams get??

Why wasn't there any coverage on Sky??

What was Benfield's role in all this??

What the?.........how?.........when?...........why?

Now that sounds good. :) I've never thought that a full European league could work, but a Champions Cup is a brilliant idea.

Like you said, how come there's no British, Danish or Swedish representatives? I guess it's another case where the amount of riders turning out for various clubs in these different countries could cause a problem :?

Now that sounds good. :) I've never thought that a full European league could work, but a Champions Cup is a brilliant idea.

Like you said, how come there's no British, Danish or Swedish representatives? I guess it's another case where the amount of riders turning out for various clubs in these different countries could cause a problem :?

Even better with EL cost reduction thrown in for good measure............

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forum/view...opic.php?t=3294

To be honest , this competition is a bit "mickey mouse"....

I saw the final last year in Pardubice , as it was staged the day before the Czech Golden Helmet (same thing this year too, but at Debrecen, as you know...)

This tourney is usually only contested by teams from the "former eastern bloc" countries , and some German teams....

Lada Togliatti from Russia won last year, thanks largely due to their "hired hands for the day" , who were Jason Crump & Ryan Sullivan.....To be best of my knowledge , neither of those two have ridden in the Russian League for Togliatti....

The result of this years final held at Dedrecen in Hungary on Saturday 27th September.

1. Russia - Togliatti 74 points

1. Ryan Sullivan - 17

2. Sergei Darkin - 11

3. Rune Holta - 20

4. Roman Povazhny - 11

5. Oleg Kurguskin - 15

2. Hungary - Debrecen 66 points

1. Tomasz Bajerski - 27

2. Magosi Norbert - 7

3. Tihanyi Sándor - 11

4. Stefáni Attila - 13

5. Szatmári László - 8

3. Slovenia - 45 points

1. Matej Zagar - 18

2. Izak Santej - 6

3. Jernej Kolenko - 9

4. Ales Dolinar - 10

5. Stanko Glavan - 2

4. Czech Republic - Pardubice 43 points

1. Matej Ferjan - 24

2. Radek Smolik - 8

3. Jaroslav Petrak - 6

4. Vladimir Visvader - 4

5. Roman Andrusiv - 1

5. Poland - Bydgoszcz 34 points

1. Jacek Krzyzaniak - 15

2. Michal Robacki - 11

3. Robert Uminski - 2

4. Grzegorz Czechowski - 3

5. Marcin Jedrzejewski - 3

Guest ryanfan

It's good to see an Australian in there. That would make 3 leagues this year as champions with Ryan riding for them. :D

Well done Debrecen!!!

Second in the European Club Championship is an excellent result for a team that doesn't compete in any league, anywhere...........how did they qualify??

But what a smart move by the Russians.......eh??

Select your top 3 riders and add 2 Grand Prix stars who haven't ridden for them all year. Can't think why Ladbokes didn't run a book on this one. A bit of a cheek when your biggest rivals left out Gollob and Loram to make thinks a bit more interesting.................

Like you said, how come there's no British, Danish or Swedish representatives?

Because the competition is a complete joke. Three of the teams come from countries without team competitions, whilst Togliatti signed-up a load of ringers for their challenge (Sullivan, Holta and Crump), none of whom compete for them in the Russian League.

I agree that the competition is not a bad idea in principle, but you'll always have the problem of the same riders competing for different teams in different countries. The only way around it is for teams to sign-up separate squads to their normal league competition, and then have enough meetings to make it worth their while. Of course, it won't be much of a 'Champions' Cup if champion teams are not able to track all their usual riders!