British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sicknote

Scott Nicholls

The real mistake was his attempt to overtake Holta on the 3rd-4th turns of the first lap - sometimes you've got to settle for what you have. And Harris had a reasonably secure second - should've concentrated on keeping the former British champion behind him.
It's Harris second failure IMO, the first being he cannot gate (but that's a good failure to have from my POV ;)), he goes for points/positions he dones't ned and try desperate things and messes up.

How many points has he thrown away in this years GPs? He need to learn sometimes, a sensible second, pushing the guy in front so he makes a mistake is better than throwing the bike into the bend and if he pulls it off he has been incredibly spectacular but all to often it goes wrong and he ends up even further behind, on his backside or being passed!!

I love watching Bomber ride, he's my current favourite rider but he thinks he can ride in the GP's like he does in the EL against second strings and the lesser heat leaders, it's spectacular, it's why I like him but it won't win him a GP title.

If I was Nicholls, I'd have done the same.

Edited by SCB

the referee had probably seen the former polish champion do that move so often he saw nothing wrong with it

In the end I don't think it will matter and, in fact, could be the best way of getting two Brits in for 2008. I believe Chris will be selected as a wild card for his performance at Cardiff and for the arguably unfair way he was knocked out of the race-off. I f it had been the other way round so that Nicholls finished 9th I am not so sure.

Whether or not people consider it dirty or not by Scott, how anyone can say the referee got it right is just astonishing. Scott pushed Chris, avoidable or not, and Chris went down so Scott should have been excluded, simple as that.

Those who say Chris could have stayed on and finished really are being pretty stupid. If by stay on you mean completely give up on the race and trot round behind the guy who just took him out then why should he? No rider would, or should, do that, he got took out by Scott plain and simple.

You can argue over any malicious intent by Scott or not as only he will know but to say the referee got it right is absolute nonsence.

He need to learn sometimes, a sensible second, pushing the guy in front so he makes a mistake is better than throwing the bike into the bend

Every rider has their riding styles, that's just they way they are, settling for second is an asset not present in world champions of any sport I'm sure.

it won't win him a GP title

Do you mean world title? It's that riding style which won him a GP in his first year on the circuit, in front of his home crowd, something we've missed for a while.

Chris Harris is a great talent, but as an earlier post said, perhaps the Nicholls incident will do Chris Harris the world of Good.

When it comes to GP level, there are no friends, and maybe this will make Chris Harris slightly wiser. Was a desperate move by Scott Nicholls, but it was evidently worth it as he got away with it.

On a side issue, dissapointing to watch a GP where the track was in such a poor condition that it meant we were unable to watch guys like Harris and Gollob blasting round the outside after missing the gate. Poor meeting to end the season imo.

Every rider has their riding styles, that's just they way they are, settling for second is an asset not present in world champions of any sport I'm sure.
I bet if Lewis Hamilton is in second on Sunday at the half way point in the race he'll do nothing silly but just sit and wait for Alonso to make a mistake as second is good enogh, first is better. Sometimes, to win the bigger prize you have to be a little more conservative.

As proof he can do it, look at the Cardiff final, he was typical Chris Harris but at the same time didn't feel the need to go out to the fence, just a little wider and when Greg messed up, Bomber was there to take advantage. That was a superb ride on so many levels.

Do you mean world title? It's that riding style which won him a GP in his first year on the circuit, in front of his home crowd, something we've missed for a while.
Same thing really. He could win a World title if they take it back to a one of final as some tracks you can pull of what he tries to but oevr a series he'll come unstuck riding as he does. GP=Grand Prix= Grand Prize, I'd say the grand prize is a World title, not a single round ;)

There are so many posts on this thread and I have to confess that I didn't read every one of them carefully, so apologies if I'm now repeating an observation that's already been made.

It's my opinion that the reason the ref let it go was because of the TV schedule.

One (I'm guessing unanticipated) extra race makes things tight enough, but to then have to re-run it?

And with only two riders?

When there's the "richest minute in motorsport" to fit in before 9 o'clock?

No chance.

I bet I'm right.

This compliant approach to the commercial realities of the Speedway World Championship Series might also explain why this ref still gets selected to officiate at GPs.

That's my theory, for what it's worth, anyway.

Also, I would just like to add that I'm guessing that, at the beginning of the 2007 season, if Chris Harris had been offered the deal that he'd be in a run off for the final 2008 automatic qualification place, get knocked off by Scott, but be pretty much certain of a wild card anyway AND would win at Cardiff in the manner he did.....he'd have bitten your hand off!!!

The most important thing, surely, is - as many people have said in this thread - that both of them are in the GP series next season.

Good luck to both of them.

And congrats to AJ....he has a great attitude (well, I think he does anyway).

Greg messed up

He didnt mess up, he got outriden.

Lewis Hamilton is in second on Sunday

Yeah because that's entirely the same situation :rolleyes:

GP=Grand Prix= Grand Prize

Maybe to you in your world, but to everyone else it's just Grand Prix, hence why I asked did you mean world title.

grand prize is a World title

I agree, but in your dodgy language surely you think the world title is decided at every grand prix then?

Everyone is assuming Bomber is going to get a nominated ride for the GP's next year when are they going to confirm nominations

The more times I see the race the more I can't believe people use words like "shocking"  ...you can only be joking surely ?!

It was a massive race on a crap track where no-one should expect favours.

I like both riders, all three in fact...but I fail to see how Harris even deserves credit from it. The mistake, if any, was his, in going too fast into the bend to hold the line. Scott was already on that faster inside line, and Bomber got in the way.

100% perfectly correctly decision by the referee.

It was no more than a shoulder barge and if Chris can't hang on to those then he's peaked already ! And I don't believe he has, so he and many of you should really get over it, and quick...

Sorry  :)

100% correct.

Having heard the views of a vastly experienced former rider, and a current rider, both of which are very good mates with Scott and Chris, both were of the opinion that Harris could have remained on board. Possibly a good call by Bomber to get off as a weaker referee may have ruled in his favour.

The lesson learned. Do not concede the racing line to your opponent on the last lap of a World Final run off!!

It's a good job we still have a few riders who are willing to go for the gaps, otherwise the rubbish that was served up on Saturday would become the accepted norm. Of course if the positions would have been reversed there wouldn't have been a problem would there! :rolleyes:

Time to put another bandwidth wasting, Nicholls bashing thread to bed.

Everyone is assuming Bomber is going to get a nominated ride for the GP's next year when are they going to confirm nominations

Traditionally, of course, the British nominations have been pre-announced by John Postlethwaite during the Elite League final, but this year the Elite League was finished before the GPs and John Postlethwaite seems to no longer want to appear after it all went breasts up for him at Reading.

Yeah because that's entirely the same situation :rolleyes:

Maybe to you in your world, but to everyone else it's just Grand Prix, hence why I asked did you mean world title.

I agree, but in your dodgy language surely you think the world title is decided at every grand prix then?

I guess it comes down to interpretation. I maintain the grand prix is the World Title. Not a GP round.

Normally about now, but the series lated longer this year.

Oh goody them we get the 9 million page thread on who does & who doesn't deserve to be in/out

Whilst I really don't want to take anything away from an amazing ride from Chris Harris, Greg hit a rut on that last bend which gifted harris that run to the line. If Greg had ridden the same line on that corner as he did the lap before Hancock would have held on.