British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sicknote

Scott Nicholls

Too many posts here to quote in my reply.

IMHO Nicholls did not deliberately take Bomber off. However, just like others before him, he went for a gap that was not there. I have seen others make similar moves and been excluded, and I have seen Nicholls complain bitterly when others do the same to him (strangely the name Hans Andersen is featured in some of the other incidents I have in mind!). Just hope Nicholls remembers the phrase he used one of those times - what comes around goes around....

If you look closely at the footage, Bomber was in front, although probably not by the required bike length or whatever it is that would mean it was his line.

The referee made an appalling cock up in not excluding Nicholls as the cause of the stoppage, but then again he didn't appear to know the rules anyway -especially in relation to run offs.

Interestingly, the result wasn't officially announced by Sky directly after the race, and no interviews were attempted with either Nicholls or Bomber.

I wonder how this will affect the team spirit at Coventry now? And does it add any credence to the rumour I have heard that Nicholls will be moving back to Ipswich next season because of the travelling? Hmm

Harris should be angry with two people, neither of whom is the former British champion.

He should be angry with the referee (if there actually was one) for not excluding the former British champion after shoving him off in that race-off.

He should be angry with himself for the complacency that saw him throw away a secure place in the standings - all this 4-5 points nonsense cost him and cost him dearly.

Totally agree with the above comments - but I also thought the Harris move was a little harsh just before. Bomber's GP form has dipped dramatically since Cardiff and he he dropped silly points for example tonight in his first ride, I cannot believe he will not get a wildcard for next season along with AJ. Finally congratulations to Scott coming through to qualify on merit after a torrid first half of the season which included a bad injury early on in the series

Scott should have been excluded, I think most people on the thread agree with that.

Was it dirty - no I don't believe so, it was hard riding but only Scott will know for sure what decision he made when Bomber went (fairly) past him, and am sure will never reveal publically. We can only guess. At worst imo a bad error of judgement/move on Scott's part. It's just aggravated more because it was a fellow Brit that was on the receiving end.

Worst of all though, what was the ref up to? No idea really but my view is this bloke makes too many mistakes to be given the responsibility for a GP. The biggest mistake he made last night was not put the red lights on and have a look at it a few times before exlcuding one of them. To let it go shows a complete lack of responsibility. I think it is the same Polish ref that Crumpy had issues with a couple of years back.

If Tony Steele was removed from the list of FIM refs who can officiate at a GP, (I dont recall the background, and may be wide of the mark, but seem to recall someone in the Speedway Star recently mentioning that they couldn't understand why he had been removed), then Mr Wojciech Grodzki should also be removed.

Bomber should get a wild card into the series next year and I for one look forward to it. He has been a worthy addition. At the start of the 07 series, if someone said to him here is 7th equal (even 9th) in the world I am sure he would have taken it. Just a bit disappointing he fell in his first heat whilst second. Bomber will have learned a few things this year though, hopefully one of them will be when the outside clearly isn't working and you are off gates 3 or 4 and can't gate....cut back!!!!!

Its been a great GP series, roll on 08. Gothenburg here we come, all booked up and raring to go!!!!

Not much makes me post but I was disgusted with what happened tonight. From what I could see Scott was desperate,took Chris out and got his place.  I hope Scott will have the decency now to hold his hands up and say sorry and give Chris his rightful place in next years GP but I doubt it.

Ridiculous post. :mad:

Chris "I'm Rune Holta II" Harris felt the nudge and let it go. The right foot immediately was off the footrest and fractions later the hands let go. There was plenty of time and space to stay on the bike. On a different meeting and a different heat he would have stayed on and stuffed Nicholls on the next lap. Now there was no time...

Good for Scotty to stay in the series!!

And for someone asking about runoffs, read the rules... I bet Chris Louis hasn't.

Good points f-s-p, but it's the British way of life you're trying to change :P

At the moment 'the public' love Chris and hate Scott...and last night's race was perfect for the moaning majority to scream about.

I'm glad Scott's in, and Rune Holta as well. In the whole series they entertained me a lot more than Chris did. He had one good GP before a brilliant Cardiff and nothing since. He should be much better next year, and hopefully he learnt something in Germany.

Bomber is certain, as is AJ, of a wildcard place. So I'm happy with the result and have no problem with how it came about :)

Thats not the point.  :mad:  Yes the GP's are individual but they could have team ridden that to secure both a place YET Scott has to get one better, IMO he's lucky that the Ref had gone for  a burger!

Can I ask how they could have team rode seeing as Holta had flew from the gate and was miles in front?

I didn't realise there was a referee there. I was waiting for Bomber to do a Boyce on Nichols

Exactly.

In my view it was the best decision from a referee for a long time. He made sure all three riders booked their place in GP 2008 which in my view was only fair.

They all signed to follow these rules that`s why Bomber had "to prove" himself in the run-off. Which in my view was only fair since he only scored 4 points on the night while Scotty had 8 and Holta 10.

To be frank; it looked like Harris actually focused too much on getting into the semis and winning the grand prize instead of trying to get the 6-10 points he needed to be completely safe.

My god there isn't half alot of bleating going on here.I'd like to bet you Bomber has forgotten the incident already so why can't anyone on here do so themselves.

Speedway is a racing game in case anyone's forgotten & in some situations you need to race hard.Some of you on here have also got your veiws spot on & i agree with what has been said about Grodsky,for god's sake bring back Tony Steele.

Okay, here's an interesting one. The race-off was held prior to the final, which was, of course, the climax of the night. But if Jonsson had won his semi-final, he'd have still been in with a chance of getting into the race-off. So, in that case, the £100,000 prize race would surely have been the second last race of the night.

Absolutely true.

yes, scott was perhaps bordering on the line of unacceptable but regardless, they will iron their differences out over time and anyway, Scott is british, along with chris so both will once more be getting my full support next season. B)

makes me laugh how some 'so-called' British supporters appear to always turn on their own national riders when they are involved in an incident of this description. Well, how about those in this mould sod off and support some other country cause British supporters can easily do without you! :rolleyes:

Well Im English , not British and have long since given up supporting the load of tripe dished up as a National side. Even the name is wrong. And lets face it whatever they call themselves they are no match for the magnificent Danes.

Somebody laughingly called Nicholls a poor mans Hans Andersen. That's an insult to Hans who is a brilliant rider , a winner , not a serial complainer and excuse maker. He just laughed off the failings of the track that almost certainly cost him a place in the final. :o:lol:

Well done scotty :approve: just go's to show he was the right pick for the wildcard and for first time he never had to miss a gp in a season .

If only he had 2 homes gp's like some the rest maybe he could make top 3 .