British Speedway Forum
Nutz

Old copies of speedway publications

My father has copies of old Speedway star's, News and stars etc. etc. dating back to the mid-late 60's early 70's. Does anybody know if these would be classed as collectables and if so where we could take them?

get in touch with John Somerville he lives up your way, over the wall anyway, if he doesnt want them I'm sure he'd give you an idea of what there worth.

john.somerville1@virgin.net

also I'm after some 1968 copies.

Many thanks, will start going through them and let everyone know.

(Not quite over the wall, give or take 5 miles)!!!!

Just to finish off the rivetting views on postage. Page 2 of the Star states

its registered at the the Post Office as a newspaper.

Now I'm a saddo as well.

I have 4 proper scrap books here which include all sorts of programs too. 2 of them are from 1946 and 2 from 1947.

Would these be worth anything to an enthusiast?

They both include cuttings from the speedway publications of the time plus a lot of original photos.

Programs include things like, Wembley v Harringay 1947 etc, and also some Speedway News magazines from 1948.

Later on I have Speedway Star & News mags from 1970 - 1974

Steve,

There is a big demand for old speedway magazines, programmes, badges etc. After 17 years away from the sport I wanted to fill in some of the gaps so I've bought quite a bit but there has been a lot where the price has gone too high for me. IF you search e-bay for speedway items you will see plenty but it is often only in the last few hours (or seconds sometimes) that the prices can really start to rise.

there is a old antique shop in Adalaide that i know that has old speedway stars for sale. :o Dont know what years but 1970's onwards.....any one intrested.

Yeah this diet irn bru can be a bit vicious :clown

Certainly one of the downsides of living in continental europe (north germany at least) is the total lack of Irn Bru.I often reminisce about drinking a few voddy and irn bru`s before and after a game at parkhead.but thats probably best kept for another forum!

Kiwi, it's a pity you didn't have a copy of the 1937 World Final programme stashed away somewhere, cos it just sold on eBay tonight for £183!

Speedway Stars from the 60s-70s tend to sell on eBay for around £1 each but, as Gary says, you might be better off selling complete volumes for around £15-20 if it's cash you are looking for.

Visit www.ebay.co.uk and type in the word 'speedway' to find pages and pages of memorabilia...

Kiwi, it's a pity you didn't have a copy of the 1937 World Final programme stashed away somewhere, cos it just sold on eBay tonight for £183!

That's nice to know. I've got one of those.

If the 1937 final sold for £183 anyone hazard a guess at how much a 1936 (the first) one might be worth. I haven't got one of those!