British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Laser558

Change the Format

Just a thought given the likliehood of the same number of teams in the Elite league in 2004. In order to avoid the monotony of seeing the same teams four times in the a league match and possibly twice in a KO cup and then once more in the play offs why not expand on the type of competition and look to attract sponsorship for each event.

As an example you could have the standard league matches meeting only once home and away. Then you could have four team tournament using only the top four riders in each club. Add to this a pairs event, rounds to be held at each track and the teams must have at least two pairs of riders in this event. Then have the individual 'Golden Helmet' Championship with one meeting at each track and run on simple points system with say 16 riders in each event. 16 points for the winner down to 1 point for the 16th finsher. Then the knock out cup and finally the inter league cup competition. Add to this an international series and perhaps a European cup for the top teams in Europe and surely everyone will be happy. At least the silver ware might be spread around a bit more and the fans such as those a Ipswich and Belle Vue would have something to cheer for. The chances of a team making a clean sweep would be less and sponsorshp might be easier to come by.

Any comments

Cutting edge stuff from Laser.........

Excellent post with a lot good ideas.

My only worry was whether the lower order would be able to earn a living as they wouldn't take part in some of these competitions.

Good stuff all the same.

Cutting edge stuff from Laser.........

Excellent post with a lot good ideas.

My only worry was whether the lower order would be able to earn a living as they wouldn't take part in some of these competitions.

Good stuff all the same.

well the lower order this season has mainly been made up of double up/down riders so that shouldn't create too much of a problem...

Sounds like a good varied programme, but promoters these days are reluctant to put on matches other than league or cup because crowds drop for these type of meetings.

I see the Elite League remaining much the same for next year, serious persuasion will be exerted to keep Ipswich in the EL, but after 2004 when the Sky deal expires, well that's another matter.

The EL promoters are in a quandary; they just don't know what to do.

Clubs like Poole and Coventry will want to retain the status quo, but others like Ipswich and Peterboro' seem to want to be rid of expensive GP riders.

Either way, I don't see the EL surviving, unless a sustainable solution to this problem is found - and I don't mean the tinkering of the last couple of years.

Sam.

Maybe it would be better if EL cut down to six teams, they might not then have such a struggle to complete the fixtures, before sky sports cut off date for the playoffs.

Six teams would surely magnify the boredom of seeing the same teams so often and in reality is unworkable as any kind of credible competition.

I agree the EL promoters have a real problem as it seems no PL clubs are interested in moving up.

If we lose a number of the GP riders next year, Individual meetings like we used to have years ago, would become more poular again. If that was the only chance you had to see the likes of Crump, Rickardson, Adams etc, the Fans would turn out to watch.