British Speedway Forum
CRITCH

Defunct Tracks

On 04/07/2021 at 1:08 PM, topov said:

is there any photos of Rochdale 1970-71 out there please you can post direct on Rochdale Hornets Speedway 1970 - 1971 | Facebook 

You could try Defunct Speèdway Tracks or John Somerville Collection websites, or Memories of Lost Speedway tracks and teams on Facebook. Should be a few there.

Watched football match from plough lane on TV nice looking stadium  but  totally  unrecognisable as the old Speedway Stadium.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:45 AM, wealdstone said:

Watched football match from plough lane on TV nice looking stadium  but  totally  unrecognisable as the old Speedway Stadium.

Totally different place i think. The Plough Lane football stadium was sub standard to the Speedway stadium.

23 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Totally different place i think. The Plough Lane football stadium was sub standard to the Speedway stadium.

I thought the footy bought plough lane?

Pretty sure 2 different stadia but both Plough Lane. The speedway stadium was a great place once upon a time. Always enjoyed my visits.

1 minute ago, customhouseregular said:

Pretty sure 2 different stadia but both Plough Lane. The speedway stadium was a great place once upon a time. Always enjoyed my visits.

Yep, the old football ground further along the road became flats.  The old speedway stadium became the new football ground recently opened..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Yep, the old football ground further along the road became flats.  The old speedway stadium became the new football ground recently opened..

Correct. The old football ground was at the top of Plough Lane, at the corner of Durnsford Rd. It was sold in 1998, and it was demolished in 2002. The flats were completed in 2008.

The speedway stadium was a few hundred yards down Plough Lane on the corner of Summerstown.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, Deano said:

I thought the footy bought plough lane?

They did.Two different Stadiums although very close. Football now played at old Speedway Stadium.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:03 PM, wealdstone said:

They did.Two different Stadiums although very close. Football now played at old Speedway Stadium.

Isn’t the new football stadium built directly on the site of the old track?

On 10/20/2007 at 4:26 PM, CRITCH said:
Parsloes 1928 nearly said:

The titles in this series still available are:

Doncaster, Paisley, Rochdale, Nelson, Sunderland, Romford, Castleford, Belle Vue II, London White City, Glasgow Hampden Park, Wigan, Bristol Eastville, Fleetwood, Liverpool, West Ham, Crayford, Canterbury, Hackney, Wembley.

Thanks for that made contact received infomation booklet today,

one day after making contact via second class post

Bill Elliots excellent recollections of the life and times of Paisleys two years in the National League - 

https://classicspeedwaymemories.webador.co.uk/february-2023/memories-of-paisley-lions-part-1

https://classicspeedwaymemories.webador.co.uk/march-2023/memories-of-paisley-lions-part-2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1