British Speedway Forum
drewster

What Got You Going To Watch Speedway Or Riding

Ive been going since I was old enough to stand up! The first meeting I rememebr going to was the 1994 world final, because we went to lego land! We stayed in a farm and I loved it. I thought Speedway was lego land at one point B) I used to go to Monmore and play with stickers and decorate my progamme board. Then one year I just started to watch it and then understand it and eventually hooked.

Edited by superguest

Family night out on a Saturday back in the early 70's. :approve: Great crowds week in week out, great racing and great entertainment. Whatever happened? :blink:

Family used to go to all Coventry home meetings since 60's so I was born into it. Family worked at Brandon for quite a while and uncle still does.

Moved away for a while but now back in Coventry so began going back again last season. Now have 3yr old son who goes with me to all meetings and loves every minute of it.

Been going since i was born my father was a grasstrack rider and second halfer at swindon. although we stopped going when they switched to thursdays. he still raced grasstrack and started with the ice racing so i started to have a go, started mechanicing for some junior riders in swindon and for my father in the ice racing then got talking to Emil Lindqvist at a party after an ice racing meeting in Norway and moved to Sweden to be his mechanic, from there I met Manuel Hauzinger and im his fulltime mechanic so its turned into a fulltime job for me and ive seen speedway from all over the world.

in the family i spose ... in 1957 Ivan Mauger came over and stayed a while with my grandparents (my grandad worked at Wimbledon stadium).

my dad then started going to all the tracks with Ivan and it sort of went from there.

i got into riding as i went up to Belle Vue in about 1984 to stay with Ivan and he had rented the track for the New Zealand riders to get some practise for the Commonwealth Final or something and i just went round a few times in between them riding.

After that i went back up to Ivan's again and did one of his training schools at Sheffield while i was there and after that got a bike ... all downhill from there really :D

Dragged along by a friend to Exeter in 1988 while on holiday in Dorset, hubby hated it but I got the speedway bug straight away.

Stopped going at the beginning of 1994 when money became tight and parenthood arrived but was again dragged along with the same friend while again on holiday in Dorset to Poole in 2002 and have been going ever since.

Edited by crazysue

Ok gonna break the mold here as I'm not a "lifer". Only been going to live meetings for a year and a half. Watched for a couple of years before that on sky.

Why the interest in Speedway? Well (wait for it, boo's and hisses), I race stock cars on speedway tracks (mainly Mildenhall and Lynn, but have done Belle Vue, Sheffield Coventry and Swindon too, and slightly different cause they aren't/weren't shale, Arena, Eastbourne, Ipswich, Rye House and Wimbledon).

So having a general interest in motorsport and 1/4 mile ovals, when the world cup came to Reading in 2006 I thought I'd better get myself along for a look see. Since then, I've been hooked! You could say I've been converted as watching Speedway has now taken priority over stock cars so much so that I've not been out this year in my car:- just not had the time!

Don't have too much of a go at me though for my stock car failings, you'd be surprised at just how many stock car drivers I see at speedway meetings!!!!

Gonzo

I started going when i was about 6.Mum & Dad took me & my little sis but she's not been for about 15 years now.Don't know how Mum & Dad got interested but we've been hooked ever since.Nigel Boocock was my 1st hero hence the sig, along with John Harrhy & Les Owen.

When Nigel retired OO was my man but perish the thought now,i'd much rather think of the hard guys such as Guglielmi & Shirra.

Then there was the good days when Bees we're beating everyone with that team of Tatum, Knudsen,Miller,Jorgensen etc.I loved our tussles with Cradley & Oxford in those days. The Bees went through a bit of a lean spell after that but it didn't stop us loving the sport.Sean Wilson & Shaun Tacey we're really great through those years.Now the good times are back at Brandon i'm glad i stuck with it through thick & thin. :D

Guest sjl

Tagged along with my elder sister and her friend/friends brother (much to my sisters disgust having to take her baby sister along)-- my first ever memory was Les Owen ending up on the wrong side of the fence -- not for the first time I gather?!! Lost touch for quite a few years but have followed Cov. speedway since 1999 (missed 2004 - 2005 as lived in Spain that year). I'm truly hooked and will always folow speedway wherever I go. My sister and her friend gave up many years ago I NEVER will :D

poole v coatbridge 1968 odd fossengens first match for poole. then weymouths season in british league 2. three things i remember about a very sparce radipole lane, middlesboroughs graham edmonds entangled in the home straight safety fence face covered in blood, a crash that put him out for the season. belle vue colts visit when the track was a couple of inches deep in water and mud tony lomas kept weymouths total respectable with a 15 point maximum and mike vernam breaking the track record against rayleigh,a lightning quick 75.0 seconds.

My Dad used to drive the Midland Red Bus that followed a service route from Leamington, through Warwick & all parts in between to Brandon.

The Stadium provided 2 free tickets to the driver, (which was manner from heaven for my Dad as we were always skint) & thats how I got hooked, late 77' Bees v Belle Vue...........

(Note to promoters, free tickets get people hooked!!!)

Can't remeber much of the meeting except the strange names.......

Alf Busk sticks in the mind, as an 11 year old had no idea he was Danish.

The only other thing that stick in the mind is the fact I committed the fopar of wearing a red & white t-shirt :oops:

Followed the Bees ever since, all over the country up until the mid 80's when I joined the army, rekindled my interest in the late 80's .

Although I have now lost interest, the GP's are great & I always look out for the Bees scores, but the EL is frankly a farce.

My mum and dad used to go to Norwich Speedway after the war. Unfortunately, Norwich Speedway is no more (it finished about 40 odd years ago....).

33 years ago, when I was a nipper, they took me to King's Lynn. I was dragged there every Saturday night...kicking and screaming...(not!). I used to stand on a beer crate to see over the fence.

Now I am older I go to KL every Wednesday from Norwich (approx 100 miles round trip)...I also travel to Mildenhall, Ipswich and Peterborough occasionaly when time and money allows....my parents have a lot to answer for.... I might actually have some money in the bank if it wasn't for speedway!

Edited by Little Star

I went to my first speedway meeting in September 1952 at the ripe old age of 6 weeks. Mum and Dad were big Aces fans so it was only natural that I would follow. I carried on watching the Aces until 1975 when I got married (my husband hates speedway). After about 20 years away I got back into speedway and my youngest daughter found that she loved speedway as well. We still go as regularly as we can and next year I'm introducing my grandsons to speedway.

I grew up in London, and remember seeing posters for Hackney Speedway stuck on bill boards, but never felt the need to go and see what it was all about. I lived a mile from Harringay Stadium and used to go there to watch the stock cars long after the Racers moved on and the track had been relaid with tarmac.

Moved to Oxfordshire in '69 and developed an interest in motorcycles which earns my living today, but was never interested in speedway, and didn't even know there was a local track until my kid sister's boyfriend told me in 1971 or so. He spent three years hounding me to go and watch a meeting, and on Easter Monday 1974 I finally relented and went along to watch Oxford v Wimbledon. I think the fact that Barry Briggs was riding for The Dons probably helped my decision to go, 'cos I'd heard of him!

That was it. Gordon Kennett became my first-ever speedway hero, and apart from a lean period between 1978 and 1982 when finances limited my attendances to only 5 or 6 meetings a season, I've missed very few meetings at Cowley.

My kid sister's boyfriend isn't her boyfriend anymore, but he and I remain great friends and still watch most meetings at Cowley together. The difference nowadays is we have to clean our glasses before the racing starts, and we now stand at the back of the terracing so that we can lean against the wall all evening! I'm a little envious of him as his son has become a big fan, but neither of mine have. My younger lad has followed me into the bike business, and did come along to Cowley with me for a few seasons, but I think that was more to have a night out with "the old man" rather than anything else.

Sadly long-gone are the days when we'd decide at the last minute to pile 5 of us into a car and head off to some far-flung circuit 'cos it seemed like a good idea, and going off to Cardiff to see the GP is now about as adventurous as we get!

This sport has been a massive part of my life for over 30 years, and I hope it'll be the same for another 30.