British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Gay Speedway Riders

Was probably only picked on by small minded people who were hiding their own sexuality :wink:

By the way most people have figured out the un named rider from Sheffield I suspect, he always looked glum in team photos -never smiled poor guy and I wondered if he had been picked on for his orientation

Well if it is the rider i am thinking of,when i got his autograph he was definitely gay.But only in the sense that he was very happy.Of all the 100s of riders i got autographs of,he is one that has always stayed with me because he was so crazy and friendly.I guess the same with everyone,it all depends on which day or even time of day you meet them.

Guest sjl
Well if it is the rider i am thinking of,when i got his autograph he was definitely gay.But only in the sense that he was very happy.Of all the 100s of riders i got autographs of,he is one that has always stayed with me because he was so crazy and friendly.I guess the same with everyone,it all depends on which day or even time of day you meet them.

Realise this is a senitive subject but would anyone be willing to name or pm me re who you are discussing ? Just curious.

My goood friend from cycle speedway and Belle Vue Aces the late Tink Maynard was a very happy and jocular guy as was Peter Craven and many more I have met over the years!

I for one know and have many gay friends,all good mates to have.One being the rider mentioned.he was a good member of the team giving his support to other riders,helping in anyway....like the loan of his bike.He was a good friend to everyone who knew him.We girls loved him.It was a very sad day not only for his close family but his many friends who cared about him when we had to say it was good to have known you.To this day, miss him and wish we could still have a laugh down the pub remembering the good old days of the 60s & 70s

Yes Iris123 it is the guy you got the autograph from all those years ago-the only time I ever had a chat with him was in 1967 in the Station Hotel pub-think I've got the name right-next to Long Eaton stadium. The meeting v. Sheffield was delayed due to a thunderstorm, started about 8:30.Our friend had been injured and was in there having a beer with some buddies,always struck me as a real gentleman who was a great team man and had a deserved illustrious career.RIP .

Does it really matter if someone is gay it's up to them isn't it?

It isnt up to them - but I think I know what you mean . . .

Bobbin' along, I agree and did not start this thread facetiously-I seriously wondered whether discussing it could have added some background to the sixties e.g. one person helping out another because of their shared experience, one rider mentoring another etc etc. I was thinking particularly of one older rider who helped develop a future World Finalist as a young person and that got me thinking. By the way most people have figured out the un named rider from Sheffield I suspect, he always looked glum in team photos -never smiled poor guy and I wondered if he had been picked on for his orientation

Sorry Bob

I realised afterwards that looked like I was attacking your post! I was referring to those people who choose to make a serious, well meant topic into a shopfront for smutty innuendo.

As for the Sheffield rider - I have no idea who he was, and coming to the sport in 1983 am not likely to know him. But my sentiments stand the same.

Sorry Bob

I realised afterwards that looked like I was attacking your post!  I was referring to those people who choose to make a serious, well meant topic into a shopfront for smutty innuendo.

As for the Sheffield rider - I have no idea who he was, and coming to the sport in 1983 am not likely to know him. But my sentiments stand the same.

Isn't this around the time the rider in question sadly died?

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Isn't this around the time the rider in question sadly died?

No idea. My first match was 19 September 1983. I remember being told about the sad death of Martin Hewlett the year before, but after that I seem to remember the first death I heard of was Lief Whallman (Sp?) and that was a track accident.

No idea.  My first match was 19 September 1983.  I remember being told about the sad death of Martin Hewlett the year before, but after that I seem to remember the first death I heard of was Lief Whallman (Sp?) and that was a track accident.

Martin Hewlett died from a stroke aged 20 years. Lief Whallman in a track accident. The sad matter in this case is that the rider apparently took his own life seven years after his retirement.

Edited by speedyguy

Does some sort of code of secrecy apply to whoever it is you're all talking about, or are the rest of us allowed to know who it is?

No code of secrecy. Just being careful in my investigation. Imagine the trauma if the wrong person was named.

Edited by speedyguy

No code of secrecy. Just being careful in my investigation. Imagine the trauma if the wrong person was named.

Does it really matter, the man has been dead for quite sometime now, and I don'tthink that does any good to bring it back up.

Let the man rst in peace.

We have a thread wanting people to discuss something but they're failing to give any information themselves! Is anyone going to name the rider?