Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Gay Speedway Riders

If Bob could read this topic he would be rolling about laughing.

He knew some people thought him a "puff"as they were called in those days,

and found it funny to say things to make them believe it.

Obviously did a good job.

Was in the pits that night at Cradley.....Ivor fell going into the 1st bend, Bob layed his bike down but his footrest hit Ivor in the back of the head.

Tragic but pure accident.....It did affect Bob, whilst he did carry on riding...

personally think he lost a lot that night.

There were also more personal problems in later years.

Gay........NEVER.

If Bob could read this topic he would be rolling about laughing.

He knew some people thought him a "puff"as they were called in those days,

and found it funny to say things to make them believe it.

Obviously did a good job.

Was in the pits that night at Cradley.....Ivor fell going into the 1st bend, Bob layed his bike down but his footrest hit Ivor in the back of the head.

Tragic but pure accident.....It did affect Bob, whilst he did carry on riding...

personally think he lost a lot that night.

There were also more personal problems in later years.

Gay........NEVER.

OK so there was more stigma in those days but isn't it 2007 now and aren't we above such "witch hunts". I have to agree with Captain, not that it matters, that Bob was definitely not gay. He had the huge misfortune however to have natural good looks and jealousy may therefore have caused the rumours to go round. As I read it he was greatly affected by the crash with Ivor Hughes, right until his own passing, and the fact that he continued to race after this says more about him than unnecessary rumour ever will. This was, after all, a topic about gay riders and not the great Bob Paulson.

As a schoolboy in Sheffield we had a teacher called Mr Paulson, who played hockey at a very high standard. He was known to the pupils as "Bob" though in reverence to the great Sheffield icon of the time and his own sporting prowess certainly came secondary to Bob's hero status. This calling didn't make him a top class speedway rider though. Neither does calling someone gay make them.

Maybe a topic about the Best Captains of All Time would have been a better one for Bob's career to be discussed in depth and not one where unnecessary incorrect assumptions may and have been made.

OK so there was more stigma in those days but isn't it 2007 now and aren't we above such "witch hunts". I have to agree with Captain, not that it matters, that Bob was definitely not gay. He had the huge misfortune however to have natural good looks and jealousy may therefore have caused the rumours to go round. As I read it he was greatly affected by the crash with Ivor Hughes, right until his own passing, and the fact that he continued to race after this says more about him than unnecessary rumour ever will. This was, after all, a topic about gay riders and not the great Bob Paulson.

As a schoolboy in Sheffield we had a teacher called Mr Paulson, who played hockey at a very high standard. He was known to the pupils as "Bob" though in reverence to the great Sheffield icon of the time and his own sporting prowess certainly came secondary to Bob's hero status.  This calling didn't make him a top class speedway rider though.  Neither does calling someone gay make them. 

Maybe a topic about the Best Captains of All Time would have been a better one for Bob's career to be discussed in depth and not one where unnecessary incorrect assumptions may and have been made.

I second all that you say. There is no factual evidence presented in the allegations against Bob Paulson. Your remarks are, as always, very much to the heart of the subject.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

Reading some of the defensive replies, you'd swear he had killed someone, not he may have been gay!

I second all that you say. There is no factual evidence presented in the allegations against Bob Paulson. Your remarks are, as always, very much to the heart of the subject.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Thanks speedyguy. Bob was always a great team player. His team riding in a league fixture at Wolves where Tigers had a surprise victory was out of the top drawer and the reason for the win. Having gone through the trauma of seeing his good friend killed in a crash which he too was involved in it is hardly surprising he had psychological problems after that. The fact that he never let it affect his public persona or riding abilty shows a strength of charachter to be admired rather than to have his sexuality questionned.

True or, as I maintain, untrue it is not very constuctive that he is subject to these rumours which are not relevent to his undoubted abilty. Sadly it was before my time but I believe before his crash he was seen as definite World Final material

I know this thread reads 'were there any' (gay riders), but another question could be....are there any? Frankly, I don't care either way, however, I imagine there must be, based on law of averages. :unsure:

Like you say,does it really matter?Law of averages probably says there should be at least a few Chinese as well :unsure:

Well couldnt care less about all the people on here who think they know the truth about bob, and certainly couldnt be botherd about whether he was gay or not.

what i remember most about him was his riding for sheffield, some great rides come to mind, beating ivan mauger at sheffield arount 72 or 73 and beating eric boothroyd and eric boocock at halifax in 1968 in heat 13 with his back wheel on fence for all four laps to get sheffield a 39-39 draw.

That and his captaincy of the 74 team which i believe is still the only team to have won every leg home and away in a cup competion

so lets forget the was he or wasnt he gay and remember him as agreat servant of sheffield who would always chat with supporters and sign autographs.

RIP Bob one of the best captains sheffield has ever had, if not the best

Edited by The Third Man

Well couldnt care less about all the people on here who think they know the truth about bob, and certainly couldnt be botherd about whether he was gay or not.

what i remember most about him was his riding for sheffield, some great rides come to mind, beating ivan mauger at sheffield arount 72 or 73 and beating eric boothroyd and eric boocock at halifax in 1968 in heat 13 with his back wheel on fence for all four laps to get sheffield a 39-39 draw.

That and his captaincy of the 74 team which i believe is still the only team to have won every leg home and away in a cup competion

so lets forget the was he or wasnt he gay and remember him as agreat servant of sheffield who would always chat with supporters and sign autographs.

Hasve to agree and I said it right from the start.

On 11/6/2007 at 3:01 PM, The Third Man said:

A very able rider and captain i also still have his autograph in my vollection.I remember him beating Briggo at the Abbey in 1971 and Jim Airey scoring an 18 point maximum.

8 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

A very able rider and captain i also still have his autograph in my vollection.I remember him beating Briggo at the Abbey in 1971 and Jim Airey scoring an 18 point maximum.

Jim had retired when I first went but at least I got to see him at Cowley when he turned out for Australia against Poland during the Daily Mirror Tournament in 1973. A class act!

Edited by steve roberts