British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Gay Speedway Riders

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Jim had retired when I first went but at least I got to see him at Cowley when he turned out for Australia against Poland during the Daily Mirror Tournament in 1973. A class act!

Only see him ride a couple of times Steve a really good gater and was very fast.He supposingly was nearly unbeatable at the fast Sydney showground only reached one world final in 1971 and retired prematurely to run his own business.

• Like 1

the best rider I have seen ride for Sheffield, was a major disappointment when he didn't return, and Bob was the best captain I have ever seen at Sheffield as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Third Man said:

the best rider I have seen ride for Sheffield, was a major disappointment when he didn't return, and Bob was the best captain I have ever seen at Sheffield as well

That 1974 side was one hell of a side i remember seeing Sheffield at the Abbey in 1973 in a double header with Reading.Wilson, Wyer, Paulson, Haley were all terrific servants great team men.After Cradley 1983, Belle Vue 1972 that Sheffield side would have to rank really high up of the list of great sides.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

That 1974 side was one hell of a side i remember seeing Sheffield at the Abbey in 1973 in a double header with Reading.Wilson, Wyer, Paulson, Haley were all terrific servants great team men.After Cradley 1983, Belle Vue 1972 that Sheffield side would have to rank really high up of the list of great sides.

Yes the 73 team was the best Sheffield team I have seen, but won nothing

Should have had a cup and league double in 74 but ended up just being the cup, unbeaten home and away in the cup to win it was a great achievement

Edited by The Third Man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

...and I remember that they gave Ipswich a shock at Foxhall Heath by winning the First Leg of the KO Cup (sadly missed tournament in my view) and the second leg was a mere formality when they went on to win the cup!

1 minute ago, The Third Man said:

Yes it was the best Sheffield team I have seen

Should have a cup and league double but ended up just being the cup, unbeaten home and away in the cup to win it was a great achievement

That side and later on with  the great Moran brothers,Carr,  and Sean the prawn that was a side i loved watching both the Moran brothers partnership was poetry in motion.

23 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

That side and later on with  the great Moran brothers,Carr,  and Sean the prawn that was a side i loved watching both the Moran brothers partnership was poetry in motion.

...and Oxford stuffed them twice handsomely at Owlerton during that glorious season of 1986!

I remember all of the Hans, Erik, Tommy battles around that period and from 84/88 never missed to many meeting's at Cowley.Butler was a rider who surprised me greatly struggled badly at first but stuck at in and had a steady career.Troy's career reminded so much of Rick Miller Rick was like Troy at first could not buy a point but came through in the end at both ended up reaching World Finals.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I remember all of the Hans, Erik, Tommy battles around that period and from 84/88 never missed to many meeting's at Cowley.Butler was a rider who surprised me greatly struggled badly at first but stuck at in and had a steady career.Troy's career reminded so much of Rick Miller Rick was like Troy at first could not buy a point but came through in the end at both ended up reaching World Finals.

I personally think that Troy Butler could have gone further in the sport but he never looked totally comfortable around Cowley although he did register some good scores during 1989 and was often our trump card. Was at Brandon in 1985 when he scored a majestic 11 points from the reserve berth during a KO tie...sublime performance!