British Speedway Forum
norbold

Latest News

I don't understand what you mean really. Who would make nominations? What you need to run a museum are people with the expertise in the necessary areas. Who would be qualified to make such nominations and who would be qualified to vote on the right people?

From a personal point of view ...................

I think that if there was anyone who could "do a job" for the Museum then they would be able to contact the present "Committee" and offer their services for it.

It would be impossible to "Elect" a Committee to run the museum from all the people who are interested in the place. It would mean an untold cost being made to organise such an exercise.

George & Linda have moved on from this project as I understand and will take with them the grateful thanks of all in Speedway, past, present and future, for their efforts which brought the Museum to fruition.

As years pass there will be changes made by other people, unknown to us at present, anyhow.

The good thing is that the present Organisers are keeping everyone informed of what they are thinking, no back door moves are being instigated.

As I said before I think the "World Championship Globe" colours would be appropriate for the team colours if a change is made at all.

(I would prefer Ove to be the rider pictured if I had the choice, but can live with P C as I did not have have the choice anyhow)

Absolutely right, star ghost. I made my original post exactly in that spirit so that everyone would know what is happening and it's not all kept secret.

The people currently on the committee are those who volunteered to work for the museum and to put a lot of their own time and, in some cases, a lot of their own money, in to making it a success. I'm sure if ianmartin and scarletrider wish to join us and have some area of expertise we can use and are prepared to put the time in, we can invite them on to the committee.

Edited by norbold

Absolutely right, star ghost. I made my original post exactly in that spirit so that everyone would know what is happening and it's not all kept secret.

The people currently on the committee are those who volunteered to work for the museum and to put a lot of their own time and, in some cases, a lot of their own money, in to making it a success. I'm sure if ianmartin and scarletrider wish to join us and have some area of expertise we can use and are prepared to put the time in, we can invite them on to the committee.

This is a BRITISH Speedway Museum - I am aware that other countries will be part of it - and - as I say Peter Craven is the ESSENCE of that. Other countries Scotland/Australia will have their Museums and MAY call them after the rider who epitomises THEIR country - Sweden - O. Fundin.

I propose to end this now. I would be extremely happy to have kept the Peter Craven emblem. I bow to the committee and accept their actions - however - I have not changed my views and IF there was any vote - mine would be Peter Craven as would a lot of others. Thank you for at least taking the time to answer some of my concerns. Has anybody other than the committee been consulted about the LOGO. Is there ANYTHING in the Museum regarding Sunderland Speedway?

Well, it's not really just a British Speedway Museum. We have special boards devoted to Ivan Mauger, Tony Rickardsson, Jason Crump amongst others as well as a section on Ice Racing.

In view of the opinions expressed on here I will take up the question of the logo at the next Committee Meeting, which is on 18 December.

I can't answer your question about Sunderland off-hand. I will have to check and see what we have. When I go on the 18 December I will have a look and then let you know.

Well, it's not really just a British Speedway Museum. We have special boards devoted to Ivan Mauger, Tony Rickardsson, Jason Crump amongst others as well as a section on Ice Racing.

In view of the opinions expressed on here I will take up the question of the logo at the next Committee Meeting, which is on 18 December.

I can't answer your question about Sunderland off-hand. I will have to check and see what we have. When I go on the 18 December I will have a look and then let you know.

Thank you very much for your kind attention - I do appreciate the fact that you will let my views be known on the LOGO subject, and if you could let me know about Sunderland that would be great.

Many thanks

Ian

OK, we had our committee meeting today and I put forward the view, expressed forcibly by some, that the Museum should keep the Peter Craven logo and it was eventually agreed that we should, albeit with a change of body colour from Belle Vue to a World symbol.

OK, we had our committee meeting today and I put forward the view, expressed forcibly by some, that the Museum should keep the Peter Craven logo and it was eventually agreed that we should, albeit with a change of body colour from Belle Vue to a World symbol.

I find that most acceptable. Thank you for listening and please thank your committee for this compromise. The rider is still Peter Craven and THAT is what is important to myself and others.

I hope the Museum goes from strength to strength.

Once again - many thanks,

Ian

PS. Sunderland?????

Oh, yes, sorry. Sunderland. The Museum has nothing from or about Sunderland as far as I can see. There may be some programmes in store but I didn't have time to go through them. Obviously an area we need to build up!

Oh, yes, sorry. Sunderland. The Museum has nothing from or about Sunderland as far as I can see. There may be some programmes in store but I didn't have time to go through them. Obviously an area we need to build up!

I do hope that something can be put in the Museum regarding Sunderland. We did not have a very long (sadly) or a very glorious history however we WERE/ARE part of the world of Speedway. We did donate quite a large sum to the Museum and as such we would appreciate a mention somewhere, if only to show that we existed. We were promised when we raised the money that EVERY track PAST or PRESENT would be represented at the Museum.

A number of people 'cut their Speedway teeth' at Sunderland as supporters. It would be nice if, when anyone from 'up here' comes to the Museum, (as I intend to) there was a racejacket or something so we can say - "that was our Track".

Living in hope that Speedway may be revived in Sunderland at some time in the future.

Thank you Norbold

Yes, it is the intention to have something from every track, but, of course, we can only do that if someone donates or loans or offers an article for sale. If you know anyone who has any Sunderland memorabilia they are willing to donate or lend I am sure we would be very interested.

Edited by norbold

Yes, it is the intention to have something from every track, but, of course, we can only do that if someone donates or loans or offers an article for sale. If you know anyone who has any Sunderland memorabilia they are willing to donate or lend I am sure we would be very interested.

Thank you very much indeed - I'll see what I can do.

What about enquiring about the 2 sections of concrete fencing at the Stadium with the Speedway entrance fees on it? See Speedway Plus stadium photos - Sunderland.

If this is still there it would be great to save and preserve it as it surely will eventually be knocked down (or fall down).

Edited by Brian L

What about enquiring about the 2 sections of concrete fencing at the Stadium with the Speedway entrance fees on it?  See Speedway Plus stadium photos - Sunderland. 

If this is still there it would be great to save and preserve it as it surely will eventually be knocked down (or fall down).

Unfortunately the wall with "Speedway 3/6d" "Entrance Fee" (this was for the 1964 'Saints' Team) has been knocked down some time ago - it would have been a great reminder.

Just back from a Speedway Museum Committee meeting...

Latest news:

1. There is to be a Scottish Dance evening on Saturday 8 November starting at 7:00 p.m. The Museum will be open and there will be a buffet meal. Tickets are £22.50 per person. (£20 per person for parties of over 10) All proceeds to the Museum.

2. Next year's annual "High Beech" celebrations will be held at the Speedway Museum instead of High Beech and will be on 8 February. Admission will be free. It is to be called "A Celebration of Speedway - incorporating the High Beech Anniversary." The reason for the move is because of complaints received at this year's annual celebrations (and received every year since I can remember) that the King's Oak is too small for the number of people who come to the event. By holding it at the Museum and using other Paradise Park facilities there will be much more room for stall holders and visitors and more and better facilities available. The museum will also be open on site as a bonus. We are hoping to persuade a number of former world champions to come along.

3. Corgi toys are to make a line of replica speedway bikes and are to visit the Museum (with Terry Russell) to have a look at the bikes we have.

4. Thirty Three Speedway Star vouchers have been used so far this year to gain entry to the Park and Museum.

5. See separate thread for nes on the Website.

Plus, the Museum itself is continuing to improve. Their is a new section on Ice Speedway. If you haven't been for a while, it is well worth a visit to see the improvements.

Edited by norbold