British Speedway Forum
norbold

Latest News

Regarding Ivan; When the great man is in UK, I am sure he will be visiting the Museum, even if it is only to make sure that we have kept his bikes clean and polished! If we get an exact date when he will be there, we will have the details in Speedway Star. By the time he comes over, his new book will be ready so he will be promoting that around the country and probably at the Museum too.

reserve me a signed copy and a front row seat at the museum when he visits please Haggis.. :P

regardless of cost . :lol:

just posted 20 or so pics from the displays and museum on my Facebook page .. including the "Flying haggis" proudly stood by his display.

Sorry you didn't think it was worthwhile visiting the Museum, Shadders as you said that you have (quote) "Seen it all before".

I think that if you HAD popped in to the Museum, you would have seen that it has changed a lot. Mac and Elaine are always replacing exhibits and bringing in new displays and ideas, so there is always something new and fresh to see.

We are still hoping to raise the funds to extend the Museum by moving one wall out further as we still have lots of memorabilia and bikes to put on show.

Anyway, I'm glad that you thought it was a 'pretty decent day' and I think the turnout of fans and displays was terrific despite the cold and wet weather, so thanks again for your support.

It was too busy to push the wheelchair through the museum to be honest. I got fed up asking people to "excuse me" in the merchandise tent next door when we first arrived, so thought we'd walk around the zoo to pass the time while the crowd thinned out. By the time we returned the kids were starving and wanted to go home.

Speedway supporters are tops and I am only sorry that the tracks did not come along to promote their fixtures for the new season, but maybe that is too easy to promote your club in front of hundreds of fans free of charge?

Exactly what I thought, it was a celebration of 82 years of speedway in GB, including 2010, what's wrong with these promoters and modern day riders!!

The museum was great, gave them the old Stoke rattle I bought off ebay at last, they had already got the puzzle I took though! I hope they can expand the size of it.

Thanks to all concerned!!

The Speedway Museum has come on a lot since it opened, there are many more bikes now; it needs expansion to accomodate the growing collection.

Simon Wigg's trophies are amazing!

I have put some photographs on my flickr photostream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traxcitement

I've also added a small piece on the Canvey Island website about Vic Harding's memorial plaque.

http://www.canveyisland.org/page_id__752.aspx

Edited by Brian L

The Speedway Museum has come on a lot since it opened, there are many more bikes now; it needs expansion to accomodate the growing collection.

Simon Wigg's trophies are amazing!

I have put some photographs on my flickr photostream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/traxcitement

I've also added a small piece on the Canvey Island website about Vic Harding's memorial plaque.

http://www.canveyisland.org/page_id__752.aspx

Great photos of the Museum, Brian L,...Well done!

It was too busy to push the wheelchair through the museum to be honest. I got fed up asking people to "excuse me" in the merchandise tent next door when we first arrived, so thought we'd walk around the zoo to pass the time while the crowd thinned out. By the time we returned the kids were starving and wanted to go home.

Oops, sorry, Shadders, I didn't realize that you had a wheelchair to push through the crowds and both the Museum and the Events Marquee with the Collectors' Fayre were jam packed all day, which was great to see, but difficult if you had a pushchair or wheelchair.

Perhaps we can get you back on a quieter day with a special ticket and give you a personal tour as you missed a lot on Sunday.

Oops, sorry, Shadders, I didn't realize that you had a wheelchair to push through the crowds and both the Museum and the Events Marquee with the Collectors' Fayre were jam packed all day, which was great to see, but difficult if you had a pushchair or wheelchair.

Perhaps we can get you back on a quieter day with a special ticket and give you a personal tour as you missed a lot on Sunday.

Thanks for the offer Haggis, but there's no need to go to the trouble. We're planning on popping up to PWP sometime during the summer anyway as the kids like it there so much, the Animal Olympic show was particularly pleasing, especially as I got a tri-cast up, Bearded Lizard, some kind of beetle whose name I forgot and American Cockroach. :D

As I said we would've had a look around the museum, but the kids were hungry, tired and grumpy after standing about in the rain watching my son play football before we came up to PWP.

I'm happy that the move to PWP has been such a success as although it would be pleasing to the die hards to have the celebration at High Beech it is a nightmare to park and get around the very small merchandise room there

Hope to see you all in the summer and definitely next February.

Re: Speedway Museum vintage day 2010

BY STUART TOWNER: (FRIENDS OF SPEEDWAY::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For the second year in succession the Annual High Beech Speedway Reunion was

hosted by Paradise Wildlife Park at Broxbourne in Hertfordshire on Sunday

February 21 2010. This is the home of the National Speedway Museum with far

better facilities than those at Kings Oak, High Beech the home of the very first

speedway (or Dirt Track) meeting as it was known then in the UK.

With Saturday being a very pleasant day hopes were high for a good reunion on

the Sunday. This was not to be unfortunately as the day dawned wet and very cold

with sleet precipitating down on us. But low and behold folk started to arrive

with most people huddled under umbrellas, but the sun made a brief appearance

later.

There were lots to see in the book fare and collectors market and the museum was

bustling all day long. Despite the weather enthusiasts bought out their gleaming

speedway bikes and various ones were started during the day which was a treat to

hear an un-silenced bike again.

Friends of Speedway did a roaring trade at their stall selling memorabilia to

the fans and with the JAWA bike fitted with a reaction tester to check how quick

you would have been getting out of the tapes. They are proud to be sponsoring

the Under-15s Championship again this coming season as they did last year too.

There was a demonstration of Cycle Speedway this and this drew quite a crowd

despite the rain.

There were many riders from yesteryear in attendance including Barry Briggs, Alf

Hagon, Terry Stone, Jim Gregory, Freddie Williams and many more.

All too soon it was time to pack up and head for home and thaw out.

Stuart Towner

Exactly what I thought, it was a celebration of 82 years of speedway in GB, including 2010, what's wrong with these promoters and modern day riders!!

The museum was great, gave them the old Stoke rattle I bought off ebay at last, they had already got the puzzle I took though! I hope they can expand the size of it.

Thanks to all concerned!!

'Trees', Thanks for the old Stoke rattle, complete with photos of some of the old Stoke Potters such as Ken Adams, etc. It is a great addition to the Museum as, once upon a time, there must have been thousands of these at the Speedway and they must have been used a firewood since then.

I haven't seen one of those old rattles since I used to be a kiddie-winkle Glasgow Tigers supporter waving my red & white wooden rattle at Glasgow White City!

Anyone know the results of the Speedway Museum Raffle please. :):):)

The winning ticket numbers are:-

05651, 04302, 10813, 05016, 15406. All winners have been contacted.

The winning ticket numbers are:-

05651, 04302, 10813, 05016, 15406. All winners have been contacted.

Cheers for that Norbold. :approve:

I've maintained my consistancy levels for this sort of thing - I've not been contacted. :cry::cry::lol:

Cheers for that Norbold. :approve:

I've maintained my consistancy levels for this sort of thing - I've not been contacted. :cry::cry::lol:

You're not the only one... :sad:

Who are the committee members ?

QUOTE (scarletrider @ Nov 1 2007, 08:47 PM)
Who are the committee members ?

The committee consists of the following:

Peter Sampson (Trustee & Chairman), Steve Sampson (Director), Elaine McDougall (Secretary and Museum Manager) Terry Stone (Member), Dingle Brown (Trustee), Bert Harkins (Trustee), Pete Saunders (Trustee), Mick Lewis (Trustee), Mac McDougall (Member), Sue Jackson-Scott (Accountant), Stuart Towner (Member), Tony MacDonald (Publicity), Stuart Warburton (Curatorial Adviser) and Norman Jacobs (Archivist)

The quotes listing the Speedway Museum are details approx 10 years ago. I am sure supporters of the superb venture would appreciate an update in regard to the museum's committee members. Many thanks indeed for any possible new details.

Edited by Guest