British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr X

Southampton Speedway

Does anyone know the exact location of where Southampton used to ride. I know its was at Bannister Court, but where in S'ton was that?

And also can anyone point out exactly where StAustell/Trelawny was on the map for me...Somewhere in Nanpean i think...

And can anyone tell me who the West Ham riders were that the streets of Custom House were named after>

Edited by cheekyboys2

The following is taken from the Lakeside Hammers forum, where our resident one time Southampton fan OLD SAINT replied to me when I asked where it used to be...I hope it is of help, if not I am sure OLD SAINT will be on here to help you out soon.....

If you know Northlands Road where the old Hampshire County Cricket Ground was, or where the Dell used to be, it was in that general area. More exactly it was off the Avenue. The Top Rank Suite and the Brunswick bowling alley were built on the site before housing took over. Hulse Road led off the Avenue and was one of the roads to Banister Court.

The best way to describe it, Nobby, is to say that if you left the City Centre heading up the Avenue towards Winchester, passed the Cowherds, there used to be (and still is, I think) a set of lights on the right of which was a big Leyland main dealer - can't remember the name. If you turned left at those lights down Hulse Road, The Stadium was a short distance from there.

Edited by NOBBY

The following is taken from the Lakeside Hammers forum, where our resident one time Southampton fan OLD SAINT replied to me when I asked where it used to be...I hope it is of help, if not I am sure OLD SAINT will be on here to help you out soon.....

If you know Northlands Road where the old Hampshire County Cricket Ground was, or where the Dell used to be, it was in that general area. More exactly it was off the Avenue. The Top Rank Suite and the Brunswick bowling alley were built on the site before housing took over. Hulse Road led off the Avenue and was one of the roads to Banister Court.

The best way to describe it, Nobby, is to say that if you left the City Centre heading up the Avenue towards Winchester, passed the Cowherds, there used to be (and still is, I think) a set of lights on the right of which was a big Leyland main dealer - can't remember the name. If you turned left at those lights down Hulse Road, The Stadium was a short distance from there.

Put "Charles Knott Gardens, Southampton" into Google Earth and you are there

Does anyone know the exact location of where Southampton used to ride. I know its was at Bannister Court, but where in S'ton was that?

And also can anyone point out exactly where StAustell/Trelawny was on the map for me...Somewhere in Nanpean i think...

And can anyone tell me who the West Ham riders were that the streets of Custom House were named after>

On Google Earth.....

For Trelawny,''Draw'' a straight line between KARSLAKE and COCKSBARROW,(they are between Nanpean and Stenalees),and there it is.

For West Ham,look for Hoskins Close,Young Road,Croombs Road,Atkinson Road,etc

Sadly it was sited in one of the more desirable areas of Southampton and therefore prime building land.

The old Hampshire County Cricket ground in Northlands Road was sited at the back of the Stadium, hence the name of the "County Stand" where my family used to sit.

The Stadium was a wonderful place - an excellent racing track and a great place to watch speedway. I still have so many memories of those wonderful Tuesday nights :)

Yes, very good, Steve, except that Barry Briggs didn't move down to Southampton in 1960. He was ours that year!

Lawson Close Aub Lawson

Atkinson Road Arthur Atkinson

Croombs Road Tommy Croombs

Young Road Jack Young

Hoskins Close Johnny Hoskins

Cant recall any other streets taking their names from West Ham Speedway riders or Promoters

A good clip, but I've seen it before somewhere. I think it comes from a video called "Barry Briggs - Champion". Would that be right?

Some of that footage comes from a 'Look at Life' release shown in the Cinemas between the 2 feature films back in the early 60's.

That production was called 'Riding it Rough', and also included a Golden Helmet Match Race between Ove and Bjorn at Southampton.

Some of that footage was used by Briggo for his video.

Crouch.

PS: I'm one of the school kids in the Grandstand :rolleyes: happy days.

Lawson Close      Aub Lawson

Atkinson Road      Arthur Atkinson

Croombs Road    Tommy Croombs

Young Road          Jack Young

Hoskins Close      Johnny Hoskins

Cant recall any other streets taking their names from West Ham Speedway riders or Promoters

Also Wilkinson Road after Bluey Wilkinson

Also Wilkinson Road after Bluey Wilkinson

How on earth did I forget that one, along with Young one of West Hams 2 World Individual Champions. Incidentally there is still a speedway track within a couple of hundred yards of the old Custom House albeit of the cycle speedway variety. East Londons track is just of Prince Regent Lane almost opposite where Custom House stood

Thanks for those replies...

Great clip from Southampton. I wanit on my pc..How can I download it Steve?

Found the roads in West Ham, found Trelawny & found CJ Knott Gardens...amazing!

NOW THEN.....DOES ANYONE KNOW PRECISELY THE LOCATION OF WHERE NORWICH SPEEDWAY WAS (yes I know it was The Firs...but on the map where?) & what is at the location of New Cross in Old Kent Road nowadays?

I notice there is an IKEA where Bristol Bulldogs used to be.

Edited by cheekyboys2