British Speedway Forum
bomscot

Golden Helmet

This was a huge event in it's time, but that time has now passed. Even in the 1960s, riders' had problems fitting the meetings in, and often would over-run into the next month. Imagine the problems there would be now! It's best left to rest in peace.

the 70's and 80's best of 3 home and away Golden Helmet monthly challenges were fantastic and really prestigious to hold...i know Peter Collins rates holding the Golden Helmet for a whole season as one of his best achievements..that's how prestigious it was at the time..

The challenges actually resulted in incresed attendances and riders were willing to travel, even if they were not actually involved in the following meeting...amazing really...it just wouldn't happen these days..

My memories are that i loved the Golden Helmet and really looked forward to the monthly challenges...i was lucky in that Peter Collins and later Chris Morton both held the Helmet for lengthy periods so i got to see plenty of challenges and there was something different about a Match Race, especially ones that riders took so seriously.

i remember Dave Jessup coming to Hyde Road to challenge Peter Collins and having both races in the bag only to break down in both when well in front and losing 2-0....typical DJ !!

I also remember Chris Morton going to Kings Lynn to race Jessup after winning the Hyde Road races...the local Piccadilly Radio actually sent a reporter to report live on the match races, even though Belle Vue were not in the following meeting..Morton won and i remember listening to it on the radio.....that's how big the thing was at the time

Sadly those days have gone..it saddens me to see the number of stars no longer racing in Britain and those who are left would never travel to a meeting for 2 match races, and even if they did they would want a huge guarantee to do so.....so it will never come back and the after meeting race never had any impact for me...it was a pale shadow of the true Golden Helmet that i was brought up with.

• Like 1

Be great to get the helmet match races back, would be brilliant I have seen Ashby v Jansson, Crump v Penhall Collins and Lee S Moran v Lee great days.

The old monthly challenge really was something special. During the era of the "big five" most of the match races featured them and on several occasions a new track record would be set up. Even in those days though, there were problems in getting the races completed within the month, and I distinctly remember Ove Fundin having to forfeit his title (against Peter Craven, maybe?) because of his fixtures in Sweden. My opinion is, that this once highly prestigious championship, should be confined to the memory.

I remember a great one between Hans Nielsen(Birmingham) and Bruce Penhall(cradley) at perry barr, the yank was all over Hans but couldent find away past him, on the closest races Ive ever seen, good old days indeed.

There were two or three great races at Swindon with Phil Crump being the holder or contender.

dangle a big fat pay cheque for the holder and the riders nominated would find the time proof those riders who race in the russian league nightmare for travel even today but are paid big money for it

There were two or three great races at Swindon with Phil Crump being the holder or contender.

Great occasions against Collins ( stadium packed) Mike Lee, Bruce Penhall, did he race against the mighty Shawn Moran? i think so?

I seem to recall John Louis against Martin Ashby at Blunsdon. 'Tiger' was in his prime so it must have been around 1975. I remember a fantastic tense atmosphere but with Louis coming out on top.

• Like 1

I seem to recall John Louis against Martin Ashby at Blunsdon. 'Tiger' was in his prime so it must have been around 1975. I remember a fantastic tense atmosphere but with Louis coming out on top.

I can remember it ER, Louis was a class act, i can remember a few of the England v USSR matches i thought it might? of been on one of these occasions? probably not.