Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Brian Hamilton

Eric Hockaday

After discussing the Eadon brothers another name comes to mind from second halves at Oxford in the late 50s and early 60s - Eric Hockaday. Eric never got into the Oxford team even as reserve but I believe rode at various other non-league tracks about that time. Does anyone know what happened to him?

After discussing the Eadon brothers another name comes to mind from second halves at Oxford in the late 50s and early 60s - Eric Hockaday. Eric never got into the Oxford team even as reserve but I believe rode at various other non-league tracks about that time. Does anyone know what happened to him?

I remember his as a member of the Stoke team in 1962. Other than that, sorry - I can't help.

Was he not a regular for Cradley in Provincial League/early British League days. Speaking totally from memory so I stand to be corrected if the memory box is playing tricks on me!

He was a decent middle order scorer. Did he also ride for Sheffield after leaving Cradley?

Eric Hockaday was a top man in the early days of the Provincial League. In 1960 he was second highest scorer for the league champions, Rayleigh, scoring 196 points at an average of 9.33 and was ranked 11th in the Speedway Star's end of season Provincial League rankings. In 1961 he moved on to Stoke where he scored 277 points in all competitions at an average of 7.91. He started 1962 with Leicester, scoring 28 points in four matches and then moved back to Stoke where he was the team's top scorer with 147 points at an average of 8.6.

P.S. I should add that he is currently a member of the WSRA.

Edited by norbold

Eric is fine, he lives near Wembley and I met him and had a chat not that long agao.

Eric Hockaday was a top man in the early days of the Provincial League. In 1960 he was second highest scorer for the league champions, Rayleigh, scoring 196 points at an average of 9.33 and was ranked 11th in the Speedway Star's end of season Provincial League rankings. In 1961 he moved on to Stoke where he scored 277 points in all competitions at an average of 7.91. He started 1962 with Leicester, scoring 28 points in four matches and then moved back to Stoke where he was the team's top scorer with 147 points at an average of 8.6.

P.S. I should add that he is currently a member of the WSRA.

Norbold, i knew I should have asked yoiu first.

Its coming back to me now.

Many thanks

I think Eric was one of the California Poppies line-up in the Southern Area League days. He also rode for Coventry for a while

Edited by star ghost

Was he not a regular for Cradley in Provincial League/early British League days. Speaking totally from memory so I stand to be corrected if the memory box is playing tricks on me!

He was a decent middle order scorer. Did he also ride for Sheffield after leaving Cradley?

He concluded his career as follows

Cradley(65,66,67),Sheffield(66,67),LEaton(69)

Wasn't Eric Hockaday in the first ever race of the first ever British League match in 1965-Coventry v Cradley. He partnered Ivor Brown -I think the race ended as a 3-3, with Nigel Boocock winning, Ivor second and Eric third-can'r recall the other rider perhaps Col Cottrell??. Thanx Brian for bringing Eric's name to the forum-another whole hearted trier of that era.