British Speedway Forum

Todays Echo.

Ricko approval for £60k meeting

By Phil Chard

TONY Rickardsson, voted Pirates' greatest rider of all time by Daily Echo readers two years ago, has given a huge thumbs up to the £60,000 winner-takes-all 60-year Diamond Jubilee meeting in March.

And the former Poole favourite from 2001 to 2004 has joked: "I only wish the anniversary had happened five years ago when I was in full flight for the club."

Rickardsson, 37, will be part of proceedings as one of the former Pirate greats and is looking forward to being an avid spectator during the individual meeting on March 9.

He said: "Yet again, Matt Ford and Poole Speedway have made the rest of the sport sit up.

"It's an unbelievable prize and I know all the boys will be pumped to start the season with a £60,000 cheque in their back pocket."

Rickardsson, the record-equalling six-times world champion who finished a stunning third in his debut season this year on four wheels in the Swedish Porsche Carrera Cup, added: "I am really looking forward to coming over and seeing everyone.

"But it's a double bonus that it's this meeting I'll be watching.

"It seems to me Poole have captured a one-off Grand Prix meeting but with the biggest financial incentive ever known in the sport.

"It's also on a race track I rate as one of the best I ever raced on.

"I'm getting an adrenaline rush just thinking about getting through to the final and how I would approach the race against the three other riders.

"Just imagine what the tension will be like as the four riders make their way round to the start line.

"Poole Stadium creates its own wonderful atmosphere at the best of times.

"But this will be something out there all on its own, especially if one of the current Pirates actually makes it to the final stages."

Rickardsson added: "It's an unbelievable piece of promotion. I only wish it had happened when I was enjoying my racing at Wimborne Road.

"But I'm going to savour it all next March and meet up with some great friends again. I really can't wait."

Tickets, priced £45, £30 and £25, all including a free programme, went on sale from the BIC today.

They can be purchased by contacting the box office hotline on 0870 111 3000.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

I would have liked to have seen Rickardsson enter and although I think he wouldn't of been out of place in that line-up and held his own, I would understand that he has a rep to protect. B)

I'm interested Pints or Points!

Warning - £4 booking fee, expensive telephone call (0870 number), £1.25 to post tickets. Bumps up the cost somewhat! :(

Now just got to find nineteen friends !!

Now that really is a challenge! You're the only person I know with "Dominos" listed in his "Friends and Family" numbers! :P

Warning - £4 booking fee, expensive telephone call (0870 number), £1.25 to post tickets. Bumps up the cost somewhat! :(

You can buy tickets online here I've just foundhttp://www.bic.co.uk/events/Event_Details.asp?event=4304

Looks like they are selling quite fast. I managed to get someone back in the UK to phone them for my tickets this morning after trying to get through to the ticketline for ages.

Edited by Hector

Looks like I'm gonna take my seat in the multi storey over the road :P

You can book your ticket online here http://www.bic.co.uk/events/Event_Details.asp?event=4304

Plus it has a seating plan. It looks like they are selling quite fast. I managed to get someone back in the Uk to phone them for my tickets this morning, after trying to get through to the ticketline for ages.

I can only see seating plans for the BIC and Pavilion :unsure:

I can only see seating plans for the BIC and Pavilion  :unsure:

YEah I just noticed, sorry for my mistake Vikstar :blink: It did say seating plan on the booking page for it but I hadn't clicked on it yet

Edited by Hector

If the meeting is called off on the Sunday, it will be raced on the Monday.

My boss says I can have the Tuesday off too :D

I can't believe people are moaning! The Eastbourne fans that Poole have too much money so Eastbourne cannot compete so when Poole try an give some of it away they're wasting money!! WTF?! It's not like they're wasting another clubs money.

My boss says I can have the Tuesday off too :D

I can't believe people are moaning!  The Eastbourne fans that Poole have too much money so Eastbourne cannot compete so when Poole try an give some of it away they're wasting money!!  WTF?!  It's not like they're wasting another clubs money.

They're just jealous that their pokey little track can't accomodate such a meeting

Congratulations to the Poole promotion for arranging this exciting and bold meeting. I really hope it is a great success for Poole and speedway in general. I think there is no doubt it will generate a lot of media interest and this can only be good for the sport.

I can't understand the knockers on here - if you don't agree - don't go! There will be enough that will want to attend.

One question I do have. How was the line-up decided?

Well done again to M&M.

OK just been on the phone to book. Kept waiting for about ten minutes which is a pain. The £4 booking fee is nothing to do with Poole speedway, just the BIC charge. The postage is £1.25 but you can avoid this if you want to pick up your tickets from the BIC.

They said it has been busy all morning and that a lot of tickets have sold already. The centre section of the main grandstand is sold out already.

Would just make a point to Poole fans who want to sit in their regular seats. Section one is the first bend, counting back to section 7 in the forth bend. By working this out I managed to get in the spot I usually sit.

Tickets are allocated to seat numbers, so the £30 doesn't just give you access to the grandstand, but a particular seat. Remember this if you are planning to sit with friends because if you don't buy together, you are not likely to be sitting together.

The woman on the phone did say if tickets continue to sell as they are, all tickets could be gone before Christmas. So make your own mind up if you want to go or not and don't leave it to chance.

Just my advice.