British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Colin Goody

Anyone know what "Joe" is up to these days.Always recall him with Oxford in NL and Exeter in PL

We see him a couple of times each season here at Poole.

Last I heard was that he was living in nearby Blandford.

Still loves his pint. :D

Mea culpa for the mis-spelling Mike Butler -you are right its Gooddy and Bob C glad he is still enjoying his pint-he deserves to. Wasn't Colin originally a Londoner.

I remember when I took Colin Gooddy, along with Ray Harris and Pat Flanagan, to two meetings in Germany. They were at Bremen and Oldenburg in 1957.

Harris turned in two great performancs at both venues, only the Polish ace Marian Kaiser was able to really master him. Sadly, both Gooddy and Flanagan struggled at these tracks.

I also remember Gooddy as being a cycle speedway star on south London tracks in the early 1950s. When he started in speedway it was in the old Southern Area League at Brafield in 1954.

Over the ensuing years, he became a very competent rider. I last saw him and his wife at a pub in Lewisham, south London, sometime in the mid 1980s.

I let him buy me a drink! :rolleyes:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

Speedyguy-how old are you anyway-1957 is more than 50 years ago aargh!!Ray Harris was a great guy remember him from Newport-in 1965 at Long Eaton he rode a blinder for Newport in one of their rare away wins-I think he scored 7 from 3 rides at reserve-in one of which he beat Ken Adams his former Stoke teammate-is Ken still with us-I know Ray has sadly passed away

I well remember "Joe", particularly the time that he spent at that holy place that was Crayford! :wink: He certainly enjoyed our famous (or should it be infamous!) "Northern Tours" and I shall never forget the look of sheer disdain on his face on one such trip as he stared at one of the young 'uns in our squad who, well by the look on Joe's face at least, had the absolute temerity to ask, "what work do you do Joe apart from riding?" "WORK!!!???? growled Joe, "I don't WORK, I'm a speedway rider!" Happy days! :lol::P

The joke down here when he rode for us (74-77 ?)was what colour tape will hold his bike together this week.

Sounds naff,but honestly,there seemed to be more tape than chrome.Oh,and the sound of that beautiful JAP motor.Probably the last rider to use one in the top League?

A great character,the sort of rider every team needs.

Speedyguy-how old are you anyway-1957 is more than 50 years ago aargh!!Ray Harris was a great guy remember him from Newport-in 1965 at Long Eaton he rode a blinder for Newport in one of their rare away wins-I think he scored 7 from 3 rides at reserve-in one of which he beat Ken Adams his former Stoke teammate-is Ken still with us-I know Ray has sadly passed away

Let's say no more than that I remember going to the opening meeting of the season at New Cross in 1946.

And I have been told that I was also taken to see speedway at Crystal Palace when they ahd a National League second division team in 1939! :unsure:

Sadly Ken passed away a few years ago

Had a whisper at the supporters video evening last night,that Colin has been invited as one of the special guests for the 60th Anniversary Dinner,the night before the ''Big Meeting''.

Will try and get a pic or two to prove it!

Thanx mate that would be great-perhaps you could tell "Joe" he is still remembered fondly in Forumland and has fans who remember him as far away as Canada!!

Thanx mate that would be great-perhaps you could tell "Joe" he is still remembered fondly in Forumland and has fans who remember him as far away as Canada!!
joe live in a small village outside blanford called thrnicombe and is active member of the vintage motorcycle club and spends most of his timewhizzing round the local lanes with ken middleditch and ken vale oddy

joe live in a small village outside blanford called thrnicombe and is active member of the vintage motorcycle club and spends most of his timewhizzing round the local lanes with ken middleditch and ken vale oddy

Ken Vale. That's a 'blast from the past.' I knew him when he ran a taxi business in Wandsworth - must have been about 1955 or 1956. A real 'old-time trier' - think he started speedway "late in life" - riders starting at his age would never get into the Conference League these days. :rolleyes:

Edited by speedyguy

Always remember Colin Goody at Poole as he reminded me of the bald guy in "It Aint Alf Hot Ma'am"