British Speedway Forum
Guest PorkyFenman

Programmes - the filling in of

Guest PorkyFenman

It's blasphemy i know , stop filling in programmes like a bunch of failed train spotters . The commentators tell you all you need to know , if they don't , sack 'em & get someone in who can .

Speedway needs to attract lots more paying customers/fans , agreed .

To a newbie , the sight of (hopefully) thousands of people scribbling away doing their homework / sorting out their stamp collection must be very disturbing .

merry xmas

As a newbie to speedway i wasnt at all disturbed by the scribbling in the programs i even had a go myself and by the second half i even helped shazzybird with her program as she cocked it up slightly and shes been going to speedway for years :!:

True sign of a good friend :approve:

It's also a great way of making friends. How many times have you been asked "What was the time of heat ?"

Guest PorkyFenman

Apart from the fact "programme filling" is an embarrassing throw back from the magna carta , it's also dangerous .

I remember , in 1066 , seeing the meeting between 'Harolds Saxons' V's

'Normans Normans' being called off after heat 9 . Someone got a nasty splinter in the eye , caused by avid pencil sharpening from an unnamed

'scribbler' .

No more ambulances in the realm . Meeting off .

It's blasphemy i know , stop filling in programmes like a bunch of failed train spotters . The commentators tell you all you need to know , if they don't , sack 'em & get someone in who can .

Speedway needs to attract lots more paying customers/fans , agreed .

To a newbie , the sight of (hopefully) thousands of people scribbling away doing their homework / sorting out their stamp collection must be very disturbing .

merry xmas

It's obvious you've never stood on the grassy knoll at Belle Vue, the third bend at Oxford, or even the back straight at Peterboro on occasions :P , how the hell are you supposed to know what the score is, who's in the next race etc if the loud speakers are so cr*p that you can either hear nothing, or the guy sounds like he's trying to gargle at the same time as announce?!

Speedway is different from football as even the average football fan can manage to cope with 2-1 or 3-0 but try getting them to remember 26-16 or 38-22 and that's WITHOUT golden doubles etc!!!

I don't give a monkey's if people think it's 'sad' to fill in a programme - personally I get a bit peed off with people who DON'T buy a programme and then keep asking people who have what the score is!!!!! :P :twisted:

Speedway is different from football as even the average football fan can manage to cope with 2-1 or 3-0 but try getting them to remember 26-16 or 38-22 and that's WITHOUT golden doubles etc!!!

I don't give a monkey's if people think it's 'sad' to fill in a programme - personally I get a bit peed off with people who DON'T buy a programme and then keep asking people who have what the score is!!!!!

Hear hear, filling in your programme is part of speedway.

We all like to try to guess what replacements, tac subs are coming, you don't have a chance if you have'nt got a programme.

Sometimes on Sky riders appear in races and no explanation is given as to why, and they rarely show the riders scorechart so you can see the riders totals. I now have my own prog for televised matches.

As a newbie to speedway i wasnt at all disturbed by the scribbling in the programs i even had a go myself and by the second half i even helped shazzybird with her program as she cocked it up slightly and shes been going to speedway for years :!:

Has anybody ever filled out a whole programme without making at least one mistake :?: I haven't.:oops:

:D

No. :D

And the riders individual scores don't usually add up to what the match result is. :?

I don't feel too bad though because I'm certainly not the only one. Last week at Coventry three of us were all comparing our programmes because we had got different totals. Won't mention any names. ;)

Has anybody ever filled out a whole programme without making at least one mistake :?: I haven't.:oops:

:D

Maybe once or twice, but that's about it! I don't think my Dad has ever filled a programme in without making a mistake and he's been going for 40 years! He's always asking me to borrow my programme. There are times myself where I forget to fill in the riders scorechart and someone's 4th ride has become their 3rd ride according to my programme!

PorkyFenman's remarks are not worthy of response, so I'm not going to reply to him. His signature sums up his comments.

Guest PorkyFenman

Is , or is this not , part of the "The Way Ahead" forum for speedway .

The "Way Ahead" is to attract lots more paying fans to the sport.

To a newbie paying customer ( what speedway needs more of ) , the sight of hundreds of scribbling monks going "ooh a 2H isn't as hard as it used to be " must be very scary . Very scary .

I've not stood at 2 of the 3 places mentioned , but thats beside the point .

If a promotion can't provide enough information to the fans in the satelite era , then maybe there really is no "Way Ahead" for the sport .

If someones remarks aren't worth responding to , don't.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe you have ventured into the wrong sport :? You haven't given one good reason why you enjoy it :!: :P

Guest PorkyFenman

Because of the speed , the noise , the smell and excitement .

Its a great sport , but newbie fans will be scared away by the failed train spotters .

I think you are wrong there porky, My friend thoroughly enjoyed the meeting inc. the programme filling. If you don't want to fill one in then that's entirely down to personal discretion. I very rairly fill a programme in when I go to Iwade.............I wait for Sean to post the results in on here and then copy it down so it's nice and neat, and then placed with the rest of my collection, that incidently have a value to some people within the sport, eg: World Finals, GP's and for me Wimbledon NLRC back in the 70's nice to look back on and reflect days gone by. :)

Guest PorkyFenman

your right .

i'm wrong .

I'll have custard with my humble pie .