British Speedway Forum
Bryn

Aussie Champs Line Up

Courtesy of Seane Chapman to whom I'm indebted - Only wish I was going to all the flipping meetings - damn, poop and blast! (for want of a better expression!) Haven't fully checked BUT am as certain as can be that, at an 'ancient' 26 years of age, Travis is the "old man" of the Aussies taking part :rolleyes: - anyway here's what Seane has disclosed:

The riders for the 2008 Linddales Labour Hire Australian Motorcycle Speedway Championship Series have been announced as:

Troy Batchelor (Qld)

Jason Doyle (NSW)

Cory Gathercole (Vic)

Josh Grajczonek (Qld)

Trevor Harding (WA)

Tom Hedley (Vic)

Lee Herne (NSW)

Chris Holder (NSW)

Robert Ksiezak (SA)

Fredrik Lindgren (Sweden)

Travis McGowan (Vic)

Tyron Proctor (Vic)

Joe Screen (England)

Filip Sitera (Czech Republic)

Aaron Summers (SA)

Cameron Woodward (Vic)

Reserves:

Richard Sweetman (NSW)

Mitchell Davey (Qld)

James Holder (NSW)

Kozza Smith (NSW)

The championship will be decided over five rounds as below:

Round 1: Olympic Park, Mildura, Vic - Saturday, 29 December

Round 2: Gillman Speedway, Adelaide, SA- Wednesday, 2 January

Round 3: Borderline Speedway, Mt Gambier, SA - Saturday, 5 January

Round 4: Newcastle Showground, Broadmeadow NSW - Wednesday, 9 January

Round 5: Sydney Showground, Homebush Bay, NSW - Friday, 11 January

Has a European ever won the Australian Championships before?

The championship will be decided over five rounds as below:

Round 1: Olympic Park, Mildura, Vic - Saturday, 29 December

Round 2: Gillman Speedway, Adelaide, SA- Wednesday, 2 January

Round 3: Borderline Speedway, Mt Gambier, SA - Saturday, 5 January

Round 4: Newcastle Showground, Broadmeadow NSW - Wednesday, 9 January

Round 5: Sydney Showground, Homebush Bay, NSW - Friday, 11 January

Good to see speedway at Sydney Showground again. Is it a one-off or will there be more meetings staged there?

Edited by Sotonian

Does anyone know if this can be watched online using streaming software?

Guest Sir Lunchalot
Good to see speedway at Sydney Showground again. Is it a one-off or will there be more meetings staged there?

There was a round of the Australian titles there last year. Worth noting is that it's the new Sydney Showground, not the famous old one that has been gone for over 10 years now. It's where they held the baseball at the Sydney Olympics and is part of the Olympic complex. Super venue for spectators but the track can only be termed as different and the riders reaction was amusement when they rode there last year. The best description I saw of the track shape was "like a teardrop", it's like a circle with one sharp bend. As for the future I have no idea if it will become a regular venue as a round of the Oz championships.

Does anyone know if this can be watched online using streaming software?

No. The best anyone can hope for is if Radio Fremantle does a live webcast again the same as they did last year (of the Gillman and Mt Gambier rounds from memory).

Guest Sir Lunchalot

That line up is certainly a "changing of the guard" and to me the title looks to be between McGowan, Lindgren and Holder.

Interesting to list the Australians who are not riding, it's nearly as big as the list of those that are. I know there are reasons for people not riding but if you note down who rode in the UK in 2007 and have also competed at Australian titles before the list includes names like Crump, Adams, Sullivan, Schlein, Johnston, Doolan, Watt, Shields, Lemon, Lyons, Parker, Wethers, and Leverington. I wonder how many of them would be ranked in the top Australian sixteen ?

I'll be intrigued to see how the crowd numbers are this year compared to last year to judge if the younger brigade has the same sort of appeal as the line up in previous years

Interesting to list the Australians who are not riding, it's nearly as big as the list of those that are. I know there are reasons for people not riding but if you note down who rode in the UK in 2007 and have also competed at Australian titles before the list includes names like Crump, Adams, Sullivan, Schlein, Johnston, Doolan, Watt, Shields, Lemon, Lyons, Parker, Wethers, and Leverington. I wonder how many of them would be ranked in the top Australian sixteen ?

Shame that riders aren't interested in competing for their own national title, isn't it?

Yes they have their own reason and you can understand that the big guns like Crump, Adams and Sullivan want rest after busy season. Same with the oldies like Johnno, Paker and Lynos, they probably aren't interested so much anymore, but this should be only the opportunity for Schlein, Doolan, Watt, Shields ... to try and snap some national medals.

I think all are in top sixteen exept for Lemon, Wethers and Leverington.

Well wish it will be interesting events anyway.

Reading the recent interview on WWoS with Davey Watt he said the Australian Championship was the qualification for the GP quali's.So given that the likes of Ryan and Rory are not in the Oz Championship does that mean they won't be going for GP qualification next year? :unsure:

Pity for the fans down under.When you look at that line-up compared to the Polish or Danish Championship there is a distinct lack of top riders

The best anyone can hope for is if Radio Fremantle does a live webcast again the same as they did last year (of the Gillman and Mt Gambier rounds from memory).

Nev Riseley at Radio Fremantle is currently finalising plans to cover some or possibly all the rounds of this years title.

Listen in on Saturday on the live stream, or on archive for further details at www.radiofremantle.com.

Last years coverage was excellent with lots of special guests, fingers crossed this year will be even better! :)

Makes you wonder why there are so many top riders not entering their own National championship ???

Nev Riseley at Radio Fremantle is currently finalising plans to cover some or possibly all the rounds of this years title.

Listen in on Saturday on the live stream, or on archive for further details at www.radiofremantle.com.

Last years coverage was excellent with lots of special guests, fingers crossed this year will be even better! :)

Hopefully all Nev's plans will come off, although the lack of phone line at Gillman could make it a touch interesting to do an outside broadcast! Every other venue has all the vital equipment so watch this space......

Reading the recent interview on WWoS with Davey Watt he said the Australian Championship was the qualification for the GP quali's.So given that the likes of Ryan and Rory are not in the Oz Championship does that mean they won't be going for GP qualification next year? :unsure:

Pity for the fans down under.When you look at that line-up compared to the Polish or Danish Championship there is a distinct lack of top riders

This reminds me...a few months back I had a brief chat with Watt's father (unfortunately can't remember his name)and he mentioned that a big reason why Davey is not riding in the Australian final (qualifying for the gp's) is for economical reasons.

Costs a small fortune to take all your racing gear back to Aus surely???