British Speedway Forum
andout

John Berry.....hard Up For Money?

his two books are excellent, in my opinion, and he says from the outset that he doesn't pull any punches and so it transpires as you read through them.

Whether you're a fan of the man or not, the books are decent read and provide probably the best insight into the promoting world you're likely to find. In general, I find most autobiographies to be bland and utterly tedious to read, but the JB books are well written and contain enough 'spice' to keep the reader's interest.

To be honest though, I don't think anything greatly controversial was said about specific individuals, although it's clear no love was lost between certain characters. Conversely though, there was more generosity towards certain characters than you might expect.

The first book is probably better for the casual reader and those interested in the history of his promoting exploits. The second book seems to be more of a disparate collection of bits that didn't fit in the first one, and I'd say is more appealing to those interested in the technicalities of promoting.

Incidentally, the royalities on books like these will be almost nothing, so don't imagine you'll be enriching the man by buying it. :wink:

Edited by Kevin Meynell

So how is John berry selling the 1985 speedway World team championship trophy when it was won that year quite easily by Denmark.In fact USA were 2nd and great Britain were a distant third.It's not exactly a trophy but a plate.So what is he selling .Is it a third place trophy or is it a semi final winners trophy or is it something else.It certainly is not the Danish winners trophy.I also think that the 1984 British League winners trophy is not correct either.Still one out of three is not too bad

I have 3 friends who went to Doncaster during the period it operated, 1 of whom rid there, am i qualified to have an opinion.

Do you have any friends in Canada, if so let me know where they live and i'll give that area a wide berth !

CS - Why are you taking my comments so personally? The fact I don't care much for John Berry (or the Muppet) and you do is only a matter of opinion. It's a healthy debate. I happen to enjoy your postings and it would certainly not prevent me meeting you.

Please explain to me why you think John Berry is a 'muppet'!

Cause if your basing this on his speedway achievements, like promoting Ipswich successfully for 16 years, assisting with the reopening of Birmingham speedway, team managing England, writing some very popular books on speedway etc then these notables are hardly the act of a 'muppet' as you put it!

Personality yes he wasn't an easy bloke to get on with but then again he succeed in speedway which benefited people like me and thousands of others and if you you took out every promotor thats a bit 'aloof' then you wouldn't have many promotors full stop!

Or if your referring to his one failed year at Doncaster then your being a tad harsh. Cause Doncaster speedway didn't work the year before with Bill Bridget and hasn't been seen since 1970 so all the evidence points to Doncaster not being an area that takes to speedway!

Unless of course your good self in all your wisdom can persuade the owners of Stainforth greyhound stadium near 'Donny' to put a speedway track in there, run in the CL and show John Berry the way to go about running a speedway outfit in Doncaster!

Please explain to me why you think John Berry is a 'muppet'!

Cause if your basing this on his speedway achievements, like promoting Ipswich successfully for 16 years, assisting with the reopening of Birmingham speedway, team managing England, writing some very popular books on speedway etc then these notables are hardly the act of a 'muppet' as you put it!

Personality yes he wasn't an easy bloke to get on with but then again he succeed in speedway which benefited people like me and thousands of others and if you you took out every promotor thats a bit 'aloof' then you wouldn't have many promotors full stop!

Or if your referring to his one failed year at Doncaster then your being a tad harsh. Cause Doncaster speedway didn't work the year before with Bill Bridget and hasn't been seen since 1970 so all the evidence points to Doncaster not being an area that takes to speedway!

Unless of course your good self in all your wisdom can persuade the owners of Stainforth greyhound stadium near 'Donny' to put a speedway track in there, run in the CL and show John Berry the way to go about running a speedway outfit in Doncaster!

Tony Millard is "The Muppet" - not John Berry. Canada Star's original post was questioning my dislike of John Berry and Tony Millard.

Berry is certainly not The Muppet.

In my original posting i did not question your dislike of The legend that is Tony Millard, remember form is temporary class is permanent. I did in fact concede that more people agreed with you, than me, about Tony Millard. I also said with regard to John Berry, clearly, here was an argument that i couldn't lose, subsequent postings have proved me to be correct.

In my original posting i did not question your dislike of The legend that is Tony Millard, remember form is temporary class is permanent. I did in fact concede that more people agreed with you, than me, about Tony Millard. I also said with regard to John Berry, clearly, here was an argument that i couldn't lose, subsequent postings have proved me to be correct.

Yeah right. Three or four postings (possibly from John Berry's relatives) and you're proved right.

You're a funny man, CS, a funny man.

But please ... don't take it personally...

Yeah right. Three or four postings (possibly from John Berry's relatives) and you're proved right.

You're a funny man, CS, a funny man.

But please ... don't take it personally...

I've got a big family, just wait, there'll be more!

While i am at it, i wish you a very Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year.

at least pickin on John Berry has taken the heat off Middlo for awhile.. i say.... burn him!!! (just kidding, JB).. :)