British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

I started going around the mid 60s with my parents.My mums uncle was Viv Harwood the machine examiner and my grandad was one of the St Johns at the stadium as well.Most of the family went to the speedway to a greater or lesser extent.Some of the others here like Blazeaway,Donsfreelancerider and Slaphead are relatives.But it was only in 1973 when i started going with schoolmates, that i went regularly.Dad isn't much of a speedway fan,plus he worked shifts.But i did manage to talk him in to going to Exeter a few times when we holidayed in Cornwall,plus a trip up to Hull for Briggo's farewell meeting :D

I started going around the mid 60s with my parents.My mums uncle was Viv Harwood the machine examiner and my grandad was one of the St Johns at the stadium as well.Most of the family went to the speedway to a greater or lesser extent.Some of the others here like Blazeaway,Donsfreelancerider and Slaphead are relatives.But it was only in 1973 when i started going with schoolmates, that i went regularly.Dad isn't much of a speedway fan,plus he worked shifts.But i did manage to talk him in to going to Exeter a few times when we holidayed in Cornwall,plus a trip up to Hull for Briggo's farewell meeting :D

Yeah, remember Viv, who also used to play in goal for the Speedway Riders XI! You probably recall Ken Archer, who worked in the pits at Wimbledon, Hackney and White City, and the Chaplin family? All good friends of ours.

From about 71 to 75, I didn't go much. My dad was busy, my mum had lost interest, and I wasn't really old enough to go on my own. As I said, it was when Tommy was killed (I still remember picking up the Daily Mirror that morning, and seeing the headline), that I started going again. I went the following week for the challenge against Swindon, and after that, missed very few home meetings in the next 13-14 years.

It is great to have a few of us swapping memories and stories on here.

Steve

And the burgers in the grandstand(70s) used to taste fantastic,which for a sporting stadium is unheard of in my subsequent experiences.

And the parade out on track to Blazeaway,the smart starting marshall and TRACK RAKERS :P I very,very rarely see a track raker here on the continent

Saw some smartly attired track rakers at the meeting at Marketa (the Czech Under 19s championship which you very kindly alerted to me) back in October. Mind you, they didn't actually DO very much raking!!!! :blink::o

As for the Plough Lane burgers.. Well, good they may have been in the '70s; but they were rank in the 2002'-05 era, where the GRA's rubbish staff proved that fast food can be neither fast nor indeed edible!!! ;)

As for the Plough Lane burgers..  Well, good they may have been in the '70s; but they were rank in the 2002'-05 era, where the GRA's rubbish staff proved that fast food can be neither fast nor indeed edible!!! ;)

Now, you're just being cynical...

So, other memories from Plough Lane include Mick Hines and Steve Koppe trying to punch each others' lights out, and Eric Broadbelt getting a little upset at our treatment of him after a couple of dust-ups with Roger, and actually hitting one o our supporters, Ian.

Then there was the underwater GP Final; boy, did it rain that night!

Nathan's first full maximum (against Edinburgh), when Roger shut off to let him get the lot.

Eddie getting carted off to hospital when his chain snapped, and wrapped round his leg. Think that was in the Golden Helmet against Phil Crump?

Ken Tozer's announcements, including 'Slim' Jim Tebby, and 'Hedgehopper' Trevor Hedge.

"With a 2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate" etc

A junior race one night, with Rocky Coutts, Ian Silk, Graham Crook, and Ian Fletcher (pretty sure it was them), and none of them even managing to get out of the second bend!

Steve

My favourite memory of Plough Lane is the night West Ham beat Wimbledon in the Knock Out Cup Quarter Final Replay on 14 August 1965. It was the greatest match I ever saw and still stands out vividly in my memory...but then I was a West Ham supporter.  :)

Have to agree with you on this one....apart from me also being a West Ham fan at the time, I have never seen racing like this....it was absolutely electric...

I moved down to Kingston Poly in 1981 and was a regular at Plough Lane for the rest of the decade.

First match was the 38-38 draw against Cradley which was a pretty good start.

I used to love the smell of the bikes coming up through the wooden terracing on the first bend. The free pint I invariably got from Doris on the bar, the idiosyncratic announcing of Ken Tozer who would often not notice that a rider was missing from the parade.

The guy in the beret on the pit gate.

Enjoyed the Russell Lanning years when you really felt the club was being promoted.

Fav riders.. Malcolm Simmons, Kai Niemi, Toddy, Nathan Simpson and Terry Mussett.

Always feel a bit guilty that finances (or lack of them) dictated I rarely went for the last 2 seasons.

You never know a change of ownership or policy with the GRA and there might be a return in the future.

In I think July 1967 I saw Wimbledon v Exeter-the only time I ever sat and watched from the restaurant(not as good as standing on the terraces)-Wimbledon won but Tommy Sweetman beat Olle Nygren for the Silver Sash surprisingly-I had also seen the British semi-final alluded to above in 1967 and I think the British Final in 1966. My main memory tho is a sad one. A couple of years ago visiting London I took the underground to Tooting (Broadway or Bec) and walked up Garratt Lane to the old stadium just to see it-a trip down memory lane-I remembered that there were homes on Wimbledon Road-now I think knocked down. It was a depressing trip-I saw the outside of the stadium-no longer any speedway and reflected that not only the speedway is gone -but the local hard working British folks who supported the team seem to have gone-God knows where. I didn't know where I was either-but it sure as heck wasn't the Britain of the sixties-in fact it didn't look like Britain at all.!! Just the memories in my mind lived on.R.I.P.

With apologies to the composer Jerry Herman, I recall my sister singing the following terrace chant in '67, to the tune of "Hello Dolly". Does anyone else remember it?

"Well hello Olle, Well hello Olle, it's so nice to have you back where you belong.

You're looking swell Olle, go like hell Olle, with the greatest team of riders you'll be going strong.

And with the bikes roaring and the fans calling,

You'll be right back where you have always belonged.

So - hit the track Olle, beat them by half a lap Olle;

Ronnie's got our Olle back again!"

My best memories of wimbledon has to be in August 77 when the Rebels did the double over Dons on the same day,yes I know the Dons didnt have Ed Jancarz as he was already on his way to Sweden for the World Final,still a great day,also remember 78 International when Gordon Kennett's bike stoped on the last bend when he was leading both Olsen and Collins I was gutted and he never rode agian that night,also great memorys of the Eagles and Dons clashes in the late 80s.

Even though I am Rebel and Eagles Fan,I loved Going to Wimbledon Speedway.

Weatherley Weatherley Rides for White City and were going to win the Leadgue

Cant belive its 30 years ago

Weatherley Weatherley Rides for White City and were going to win the Leadgue

Cant belive its 30 years ago

To do Speedway's finest ever terrace chant justice (and to clarify for those puzzled by this..) it was sung to the then popular Football chant, "Wem-bley Wem-bley, we're the famous Arsenal (or whoever..!) and we're going to Wem-bely"; and went,

"Weatherley, Weatherley; and he rides for White City; and we're gonna win the League".. :)

And I'll never forget singing it with the revised final line of "and we've gone and won the League" in the Monmore Green bar in October 1977! As you say, incredible that, that was 30 years ago..! :o

And yes, lucifer sam: White City WAS another club I've supported over the years!! :rolleyes:;)

My memories of Wimbledon are the NLRC each time Uncle Ted rode, was so proud when he came round in one of the cars with the Gauloise bunny girls, shouting Uncle Ted across the dog track and him saying hiya Shazz as I was waving like mad. The girl next to me saying is that really your Uncle and me all proud saying yeah.

God I miss them days might not ever have been World Champion status but he was and still is to me :approve:

My memories of Wimbledon are the NLRC each time Uncle Ted rode, was so proud when he came round in one of the cars with the Gauloise bunny girls, shouting Uncle Ted across the dog track and him saying hiya Shazz as I was waving like mad.  The girl next to me saying is that really your Uncle and me all proud saying yeah.

Fairly incredible to recall that when cigarette company, Gauloise sponsored events, the aforementioned 'bunny girls' would go around the crowd handing out individual examples of the company's product..! :o

Strangely, though, when Durex sponsored the NL Fours the same thing didn't happen...!! B)

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

If you recall that Parslow then you will remember the arguments over the use of team colours for England v Aussies Test Matches bearing the sponsors name. A lot was said about printing "Durex" on the colours or whether "L R C" would suffice.

Edited by star ghost