British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

Thank you for your response I think perhaps I thought at the time that NL was the final insult. Was a bit anal about being in the Gulf Oil British League, young proud you know all the good failings lol.

You weren't the only one that felt that way. I was pretty devastated when I first heard, but it really turned out to be pretty good. Actually, my avatar is a picture of me at Hackney for the 1988 KOC Final.

I will wrack my brain more about all this also remember a guy called Russell (Blond guy ) who I guess was nearest my age but I was a little from out the area living in Cheam then Carshalton so never saw the others as much as I would have perhap liked.

There was Russ Pittingale, but he wasn't blond... I was from Carshalton too, but I know we were pretty spread about. Mick the Gut lived at Rosehill, Gareth, Mini, etc lived at Pollards Hill. I don't know you from your name, but we probably knew each other, even if just in passing. I'm 49 now. Thinking about it, if you were at the Laurels in 1980, you may remember a Dons fan being carted off to St. George's after knocking himself out going down the steps? That was me... :)

It is great to look back on this stuff, isn't it?

Steve

At the other extreme, I saw the last speedway meeting at Wimbledon in 2005. Happily I can also say that I saw all the greats that one associates with Wimbledon over the years.

You surely cannot have seen Dons greats like Vic Huxley,Billy Lamont,Jim Kempster and the not so great,but local to me(his shop is just a mile away)Alfred Rumrich?But maybe Jack and/or Kenny are older and saw them? :rofl:

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

You surely cannot have seen Dons greats like Vic Huxley,Billy Lamont,Jim Kempster and the not so great,but local to me(his shop is just a mile away)Alfred Rumrich?But maybe Jack and/or Kenny are older and saw them? :rofl:

How right you are - spot on again! I was talking in a post-war sense but it's fashionable these days to pick me up on comments that I make.

My memories go back to 1946 and, to be honest, at the moment as things are going for me I am beginning to wish that I had never seen or heard of speedway.

Edited by speedyguy

How right you are - spot on again! I was talking in a post-war sense but it's fashionable these days to pick me up on comments that I make.

That's NEVER been out of fashion, speedy!! :P

I only made a handful of visits to Plough Lane, the first in the late 80's... My abiding memories are the horrendous journey from my North London home and Rye House always getting a beating, except the one visit I made in National League days when we actually won!

I always used to think the start and finish lines in seperate places was pretty weird, never had it explained why it was like that. Also, sitting down indoors to watch speedway seemed odd and the stadium being 3/4 empty!

Edited by Shadders

I only made a handful of visits to Plough Lane, the first in the late 80's... My abiding memories are the horrendous journey from my North London home and Rye House always getting a beating, except the one visit I made in National League days when we actually won!

I always used to think the start and finish lines in seperate places was pretty weird, never had it explained why it was like that. Also, sitting down indoors to watch speedway seemed odd and the stadium being 3/4 empty!

There was indeed start and finish lines in separate places at Plough Lane many years ago. I think it went back to the days when Ronnie Greene was the promoter but off the top my head I can't think why it was introduced.

Maybe somebody will jump on this comment now? Anything to stoke up my stress level is what I need at the moment.

Better still, maybe I should shut down all the links to the forums I am on and get a real life? That could be the answer?

Edited by speedyguy

There was indeed start and finish lines in separate places at Plough Lane many years ago. I think it went back to the days when Ronnie Greene was the promoter but off the top my head I can't think why it was introduced.

Maybe somebody will jump on this comment now? Anything to stoke up my stress level is what I need at the moment.

Better still, maybe I should shut down all the links to the forums I am on and get a real life? That could be the answer?

Tongue firmly in cheek. :rolleyes:

I believe 'The News of the World' has vaccancies...

• Like 1

Tongue firmly in cheek. :rolleyes:

I believe 'The News of the World' has vaccancies...

Not before I get a job on the Titanic watching for icebergs!

But banter doesn't answer why there were the different places for the start and finish of races at Wimbledon at one-time.

• Like 1

Don't know WHY the unique different position for start and finish line was brought in but I do know WHEN. It was for the start of the 1968 season. It meant of course that no longer could the track size really be described properly as a one lap measurement but as a four lap one and this was 1,239 yards (considered therefore 327 yards a ‘lap’): and so a fairly significant reduction on the old length of 355 yards.

The only time after that right up to closure in '91 this arrangement of a different starting and finishing position wasn't utilised was in June 1983 at a World Team Cup qualifier. Coz this was an FIM meeting that arrangement wasn't allowed apparently. Which is a little odd coz the Internationale was an FIM meeting too and it was allowed at that meeting for decades! I remember vividly my first meeting at a packed and magical Plough Lane at the 1974 Wills Internationale - the first time ever the sixty-second mark was beaten around the track! By my all-time favourite rider, Peter Collins!!

• Like 1

Never knew that about the 1983 Wtc meeting. A quick rummage in the attic for the programme confirms that there were a couple of sub 57 second heats, but the track record of 57.4 held by Siggy was still the official mark afterwards so you're spot on. I can only surmise that the tapes were pulled back towards the 4th bend after the new track layout was introduced at the start of the 1968 season so as to give the riders a decent run to the first turn.

Amazing. Haven't been on this site for about 4 years and came on today after the sad news about Lee Richardson. Sincere condolences to Colin and the rest of the family.

Dave G, the Russell you're referring to is Russell Turner who lived in Raynes Park. Terry of Terry and Lee fame did work at the stadium on meeting nights but it wasn't his main job. He and Lee had boy/girl twins in 1979.

I remember the Halifax/Belle Vue weekend in 1978 and also the Halifax football/ Halifax speedway trip. I was at both events. As I recall, the latter was in 1979 and Peter Sutcliffe had just murdered a Halifax girl, so there was a lot of fear in the town that day.

Memories for me were around 66/67 sat on top of empty terrace above 3/4th. bend with Dad and bruv watching Nygren, Hedge, and Luckhurst racing. Saw Briggo easily win a British semi around that time from the grandstand. Seemed a massive stadium.

Hi guys,

haven`t been on here for a couple of years or so. Anyway, had dug out an old video today of the Peterborough v Wimbledon match in which the event-filled racing was eventually won by the Dons (46 to 47). But I`ve actually forgotten whether or not we won the league that year? I know we were heavily in contention, as the emphasis was on winning that match at all costs.

Also, any latest news about the old Stadium?

John (aka `HomeAndAway)...Don`s fan from 1969 onwards.

Don't know WHY the unique different position for start and finish line was brought in

The reason for it was quite simple. Back in the day there was a minimum and maximum distance for a speedway race and four laps of Plough Lane fell a few yards short........these missing yards were made up by positioning the finish line 'x amount' past the start line.