British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

The reason for it was quite simple. Back in the day there was a minimum and maximum distance for a speedway race and four laps of Plough Lane fell a few yards short........these missing yards were made up by positioning the finish line 'x amount' past the start line.

According to the web - New Cross was smaller than Wimbledon - just 262 yards. Did that rule come in after it closed??

The reason for it was quite simple. Back in the day there was a minimum and maximum distance for a speedway race and four laps of Plough Lane fell a few yards short........these missing yards were made up by positioning the finish line 'x amount' past the start line.

Perhaps an FIM ruling..? The Internationale staged annually at Plough Lane from the early '60s was an FIM meeting... Not a rule in GB Speedway generally... Or at least not that I'd heard of..

btw, I've no idea why this is coming out as crossed out either!!!!

No idea but havn't said much for a while of the above comments given that were other tracks that fell shorter than Wimbledon oh and still do I think Chadster's comments on longer run ins has some substance to it. I remember going to a 4 TT at Mildenhall late 70's ( 76,77,78? In which Wimbledon were represented ( Why would that have been ? Answers appreciated from anyone who was there ?) and gating was undertaken with left leg prepared!

I tend to think it was a mix of KevH + Parsloes answers.Talk of New Cross etc don't apply as they closed before this came in or at least Wimbledon made the change.Could be something in the fact that FIM have specifications to be met.Can't remember New Cross ever hosting an FIM meeting anyway

Can't remember New Cross ever hosting an FIM meeting anyway

26.7.61, a World Team Cup QR.

Eng 44, NZ 38, Aus 26.

My understanding was that it was to give the riders a longer run in to the first bend

you are right, that was the reason. i worked at wimbledon in a official capacity for 22 years including the WTC meeting in 1983 when the start and finish line was moved to satisfy the FIM. a similar set up to give the riders a better run to the first bend is still used at sittingbourne today.

i worked at wimbledon in a official capacity for 22 years

Sent you a PM

you are right, that was the reason. i worked at wimbledon in a official capacity for 22 years including the WTC meeting in 1983 when the start and finish line was moved to satisfy the FIM. a similar set up to give the riders a better run to the first bend is still used at sittingbourne today.

Yes, that's very true! Would be nice if Iwade were to stage an FIM meeting one day but can't think that'll ever happen!!! :lol:

Yes, that's very true! Would be nice if Iwade were to stage an FIM meeting one day but can't think that'll ever happen!!! :lol:

never say never derek! :wink:

I seem to remember from the dim and distant past a televised meeting which Steve Bastable lost by shutting off at the startline at the finish instead of the finish line

My memories go back to Marcg 1976 and my very first live meeting at Plough Lane.

I think it cost me 50p (childs price) which include a programme to into the main grandstand at Wimbledon. I'm sure that it was 35p for the back straight.

I watched the first two or races inside, so it wasn't until I went outside that the full impact of live speedway hit me, the noise and smells (I'm sure that get us hooked on the sport).

Sadly no Tommy Jansson riding in this meeting as he was still recovering from a broken shoulder from an accident in Australia. No Christer Lofqvist either as he and the Wimbledon management couldn't agree on pay terms. Sad too say that he never for Wimbledon during this season, or even in the British League Division One, in the future, for any team. And against a very strong team like Reading the Dons didn't stand a chance and lost the Challenge Match 32-46, but it made no difference to me, as I was a Dons supporter from that moment on. Mind you we did get our revenge on them in September when we beat 40-38 in the league.

Roger Johns became the very Wimbledon I saw win a race, at Plough Lane, and strangely he was the member of the Dons that I saw win an away heat, at White City the following Tuesday night.

The moments of what happened in May that year no Dons supporter will ever forget. Extremely emotional times for our team, supporters and of course Tommy's family. All credit must go to the riders who carried on riding for the rest of the season.

The 1976 season did end on a high though, as the Dons won the London Cup with a fantastic 49-29 away win over Hackney. A double header meeting in November, after the original staging was cancelled due to rain. Hackney beat White City 42-36 in the other fixture. The London Cup was decided on race points,this season. And as Hackney rode in two meetings their match points were halved to give them an overall total.

Best meeting I saw I would to say in 1980 England Vs USA (1st ever official test) between the two nations.54-54 was a just result in the end.

Just wished I had a real Tardis to do it all over again.

Also like to add Peter Collins new track record in 1976 of 58.5secs this was in a time when sub 60secs at Plough Lane only happened now and again. Plus Scott Autrey's 58.2secs in 78 or 79 that broke this record. As I recall Scott was so far in front that he was entering the 3rd bend before the other riders were out of the 2nd. Brilliant rides by both of them.

Edited by Robbie B

Try looking at:

http://www.speedwayfiction.co.uk/

The central character of the books, Joe Barnes, is a Wimbledon rider and they are set in 1975 and 1976. There are some quite evocative paragraphs that certainly chimed with my memories of that era.

Try looking at:

http://www.speedwayfiction.co.uk/

The central character of the books, Joe Barnes, is a Wimbledon rider and they are set in 1975 and 1976. There are some quite evocative paragraphs that certainly chimed with my memories of that era.

Thanks for that.

Memories for me were around 66/67 sat on top of empty terrace above 3/4th. bend with Dad and bruv watching Nygren, Hedge, and Luckhurst racing. Saw Briggo easily win a British semi around that time from the grandstand. Seemed a massive stadium.

Some old footage of Ronnie(and Wimbledon) i think in 1954 when he beat Alan Hunt in the Golden Helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg95k_j_1Nc

• Like 1