British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

Brings a tear to the eye,this

Seems though in the news today it confirms the football club have the ok to build and hope to move into a new stadium in 2020

17 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Brings a tear to the eye,this

I wonder how the spectators who were at Wimbledon Stadium primarily for short circuit car racing viewed all this speedway activity? 

6 minutes ago, gustix said:

I wonder how the spectators who were at Wimbledon Stadium primarily for short circuit car racing viewed all this speedway activity? 

You are on a few forums I think.Probably best to ask them on there.For me,I don’t really care.I have been to speedway meetings and seen other Motorsports as an added ‘attraction’ and found them mostly uninteresting.I even went a number of times to auto racing at Plough Lane,as one of my grandads worked at the stadium for the St.John’s,during what was possibly the hey-day of Duffy Collard,Barry Lee,Foxy Dance etc

A fact that has always intrigued me in regard to motor sport activities at Wimbledon Stadium. Speedway first started in 1929 and apart from the war years carried on until it ground to a halt in 1992. Then came the brief revival between the 2002 and 2005 seasons.

The cars started in 1962 and continued without a break until the stadium closure in 2016. Unlike speedway which in its history had several different promoters, basically the cars were promoted by the same enterprise throughout their tenure at Plough Lane.

I also ponder why speedway had its absence years (1992 to 2005) while the car promotion continued after speedway's 2005 departure for another 11 seasons.

3 of the great NZ riders associated with the Dons.The commentator say’s Barry Briggs used to be a good rider years ago,but is getting old now!!!Topical as yesterday was Briggo’s birthday

Edited by iris123

Quite an interesting piece on Mirac,through newspaper clippings that shows the impact he made

I have a hazy memory that the late Dame June Whitfield RIP was once a guest personality at a Wimbledon meeting, probably in the era when Ronnie Greene was the promoter.

I always loved my visits to Plough Lane

On 12/31/2018 at 4:04 PM, gustix said:

A fact that has always intrigued me in regard to motor sport activities at Wimbledon Stadium. Speedway first started in 1929 and apart from the war years carried on until it ground to a halt in 1992. Then came the brief revival between the 2002 and 2005 seasons.

The cars started in 1962 and continued without a break until the stadium closure in 2016. Unlike speedway which in its history had several different promoters, basically the cars were promoted by the same enterprise throughout their tenure at Plough Lane.

I also ponder why speedway had its absence years (1992 to 2005) while the car promotion continued after speedway's 2005 departure for another 11 seasons.

Quite an easy answer to that which is a Speedway meeting is much, much  dearer to put on the a stock car meeting.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:04 PM, gustix said:

1 hour ago, mickthemuppet said:

Quite an easy answer to that which is a Speedway meeting is much, much  dearer to put on the a stock car meeting.

It's not basically a question of the promotional costs to participants at speedway or short circuit car meetings. The cost is the RENT charged by the stadium to the promoters. I am certain it was no cheaper/lower for Spedeworth Motorsports to stage their events than it was for a speedway meeting. And Spedeworth as such are familiar in regard to rentals for speedway - they are landlords at both Ipswich and Mildenhall. Probably Spedeworth better absorbed rent at Wimbledon by virtue of attracting a larger crowd base to their events.

2 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

I tend to agree with your opinion on this.The answer would appear to be also a lack of a promoter willing to pay what was needed to keep the speedway running

Probably Spedeworth better absorbed rent at Wimbledon Stadium by virtue of attracting a larger crowd base to their short circuit car events?