British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

Well enough of that old tosh.A bit of England v USA action

24 minutes ago, gustix said:

Does any Wimbledon supporter remember Mick Piquet who had a few Plough Lane outings in the late 1940s-early 1950s period? I have a hazy recollection that he may have been a graduate from cycle speedway.

10 minutes ago, foamfence said:

I have no information other than this.... http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/rayleigh1948.pdf

Thanks foamfence. That fits Mick Piquet in neatly with Rayleigh. I wonder what his Wimbledon involvement was - if in fact there was any.

Edited by Guest
edit

38 minutes ago, gustix said:

Does any Wimbledon supporter remember Mick Piquet who had a few Plough Lane outings in the late 1940s-early 1950s period? I have a hazy recollection that he may have been a graduate from cycle speedway.

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

The London Speedways forum for 1949 includes Mick Pivquet as a Wimbledon rider:

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/273/1949-team-riders

Candidates for the 'names not the same' thread I wonder? 

21 minutes ago, gustix said:

The London Speedways forum for 1949 includes Mick Picquet as a Wimbledon rider:

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/273/1949-team-riders

15 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Candidates for the 'names not the same' thread I wonder? 

Keyboard error originally! two letters next to each other! Correction made to original post. I wonder why as I read the follow up comment I thought of USA Nascar racing's Richard PETTY?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Petty

Edited by Guest
link added

16 minutes ago, foamfence said:

It also has Wal Morton at two different tracks.

Seem to remember it having Clem Cort down for a few tracks including Wimbledon in 1929 or so

51 minutes ago, foamfence said:

It also has Wal Morton at two different tracks.

That season he started with Harringay who he had joined in 1947, then mid-season 1949 went to Wimbledon. Obviously a 'technical error' on the forum.

From what I understand these team lists were the work the late Bryan Tungate from Norwich - he had a member name for the BSF which offhand I forget. Sadly there is no way to crosscheck with him. I suggest you refer any errors  to the forum who might make needed corrections.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

I never saw this match but was at the track the preceding week when a group of midget cars took part in trial runs and a demonstration race after the main speedway match. TBH they were not very impressive that night but did much better when they appeared at Plough Lane in some Spedeworth Motorsport car meetings.

4 minutes ago, gustix said:

I never saw this match but was at the track the preceding week when a group of midget cars took part in trial runs and a demonstration race after the main speedway match. TBH they were not very impressive that night but did much better when they appeared at Plough Lane in some Spedeworth Motorsport car meetings.

I was at this meeting.I remember it was one of very few that year.It must have been a highlight of the season and the stadium was quite full.Far more so than the Dons v Hackney meeting I also posted.One of the few that I saw the tragic figure of Kenny Carter.Not one of his best meetings.What was great to see was the team riding there by Bobby Schwartz!!! If only Tai could have done something similar last season!!

By this time though I had lost all interest in car racing.And that interest was never revived

9 minutes ago, gustix said:

Which is relevant to a speedway discussion how?

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

I've often wondered if the classic 1980 test was televised. I've never come across it on youtube.

39 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Seem to remember it having Clem Cort down for a few tracks including Wimbledon in 1929 or so

The London Speedways did acknowledge Clem Cort at several tracks in 1929. Here's a listing for Wimbledon riders: WIMBLEDON: Hilary Buchanan, Cec Brown, Sid Chambers, Fred Cooper, Clem Cort, Dudley Cox, Les Dearth, Dank Ewen, Del Forster, Bert Gerrish, Jack Kidwell, John Leete, Fred Osborne, Alf Sawford, Mart Seiffert, Eddie Slade-Jones, Stan Spencer, Jimmy Stevens, Alf Summersby, Rube (Sonny) Wilson plus Jim Kempster and Vic Huxley after Star riders were allowed in. NOTE: Cort, Foster and Spencer also appeared for Harringay. 

3 minutes ago, Terry said:

I've often wondered if the classic 1980 test was televised. I've never come across it on youtube.

I wish... I had really been looking forward to that, but I was laid up in bed with chicken pox! One of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Steve