British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

20 minutes ago, gustix said:

I never saw this match but was at the track the preceding week when a group of midget cars took part in trial runs and a demonstration race after the main speedway match. TBH they were not very impressive that night but did much better when they appeared at Plough Lane in some Spedeworth Motorsport car meetings.

10 minutes ago, chunky said:

Which is relevant to a speedway discussion how?Steve

Relevant because I never saw the test match but did a report on the match! Yet the previous week I had been at Wimbledon when there was speedway but primarily to watch the midget car demonstration.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, gustix said:

Relevant because I never saw the test match but did a report on the match! 

That statement is relevant. Being at Plough Lane another week when midget cars disappointed you has no relevance whatsoever...

Steve

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

That statement is relevant. Being at Plough Lane another week when midget cars disappointed you has no relevance whatsoever...

Steve

It  was important in regard to the midget car demonstration because then stadium manager Jimmy James had hopes they would do well enough to be booked for future second half events at speedway meetings. There was a potential speedway-midget car tie up which sadly IMO never came to fruition.

Just now, chunky said:

I wish... I had really been looking forward to that, but I was laid up in bed with chicken pox! One of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Steve

I guess it's not out there then. I didn't go either. The only one I went to it rained all night..82 I think.

1 minute ago, gustix said:

It  was important in regard to the midget car demonstration because then stadium manager Jimmy James had hopes they would do well enough to be booked for future second half events at speedway meetings. There was a potential speedway-midget car tie up which sadly IMO never came to fruition.

"It was important in regard to the midget car demonstration"

So what you are saying it was a totally unrelated response to the post that iris123 made, it has nothing to do with "speedway", but it was important to you as you wanted to see midget cars at Wimbledon?

You whine about me deviating???:blink:

Steve

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chunky said:

"It was important in regard to the midget car demonstration" So what you are saying it was a totally unrelated response to the post that iris123 made, it has nothing to do with "speedway", but it was important to you as you wanted to see midget cars at Wimbledon?

Steve

It was important to me to attend and watch the midget cars because there were hopes that they would give a boost to second half racing at Wimbledon speedway meetings. Note the underline. There was a potential inter-link which sadly never materialised.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, chunky said:

"It was important in regard to the midget car demonstration"

So what you are saying it was a totally unrelated response to the post that iris123 made, it has nothing to do with "speedway", but it was important to you as you wanted to see midget cars at Wimbledon?

Steve

Going to watch the midget cars follow on at a Wimbledon speedway meeting was relevant. I attended officially as a representative of the 'South London Press' to cover the speedway meeting. I  wa also there to officially as an observer for the SLP to give an account of the midget car demonstration and to give an opinion on a potential future link for meetings featuring both speedway bikes and midget cars. Is that relevant enough - the local newspaper wanted a report on the event.

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I wish... I had really been looking forward to that, but I was laid up in bed with chicken pox! One of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Steve

When you think today everything is filmed umpteen times on mobiles,oh how we could have done with them back in the 60s or 70s ..,,so many memories 

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

When you think today everything is filmed umpteen times on mobiles,oh how we could have done with them back in the 60s or 70s ..,,so many memories 

Ain't that the truth...  :(

The reason I connected the England v USA speedway test match to the midget car demonstration was because the video reminded me of this. During the wait for the midgets to go on track, the stadium announced reliably made reminders about "...next week's England v USA test match..." I was when I saw the Link for test that I recalled the midget car trials. If I had not seen that presumably there would have been no recall vibes in regard to midget cars having a trial run at Plough Lane. It's known as 'association of memories'!

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

The reason I connected the England v USA speedway test match to the midget car demonstration was because the video reminded me of this. During the wait for the midgets to go on track, the stadium announced reliably made reminders about "...next week's England v USA test match..." I was when I saw the Link for test that I recalled the midget car trials. If I had not seen that presumably there would have been no recall vibes in regard to midget cars having a trial run at Plough Lane. It's known as 'association of memories'!

Brilliant.You are not someone I remember really having or at least sharing such vivid memories of much. More you share things that seem to be taken from a magazine or a Programme.So thanks for sharing this wonderful story over 3,4or is it 5 posts 

10 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Brilliant.You are not someone I remember really having or at least sharing such vivid memories of much. More you share things that seem to be taken from a magazine or a Programme.So thanks for sharing this wonderful story over 3,4or is it 5 posts 

You know what, when I saw the name "gustix", it brought back memories of wind "gusts".  That made me think of all the times I suffered from wind!  Then - and this is the cool thing - wind led me to kites!  There was a speedway rider called Alan Kite! :rofl::party::t:

Steve

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The few speedway memories I have are reserved strictly for the prestige SpeedwayPlus website. 

I don't recall the debate on midget cars having a trial after a Wimbledon speedway meeting as being a bona fide speedway memory, just originally a recap on something minor that happened in the early 1980s. It has been the subsequent comments that have blown what was only a minor happening out of proportion - spurred to a large extent by your usual attitude!

1 minute ago, chunky said:

You know what, when I saw the name "gustix", it brought back memories of wind "gusts".  That made me think of all the times I suffered from wind!  Then - and this is the cool thing - wind led me to kites!  There was a speedway rider called Alan Kite! :rofl::party::t:

Steve

Let me get the sick bag   Steve / Chunky whoever you are ? disappointed in you thought you were better than this.

4 minutes ago, gustix said:

The few speedway memories I have are reserved strictly for the prestige SpeedwayPlus website. 

I don't recall the debate on midget cars having a trial after a Wimbledon speedway meeting as being a bona fide speedway memory, just originally a recap on something minor that happened in the early 1980s. It has been the subsequent comments that have blown what was only a minor happening out of proportion - spurred to a large extent by your usual attitude!

I have hardly engaged you on this topic,apart from praising you on what a great memory of the events and of course for drip feeding us over numerous posts throughout the day!!So show me where my attitude to a large extent has helped jog you?:blink: