British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

24 minutes ago, HGould said:

I visited Wimbledon, White City and Hackney quite a lot and Crayford once.

I loved Plough Lane, facilities in those days were excellent and the quirks were positive - the staggered start and finish line, the lights over the track rather than on the fence, the track was better than some gave it credit for in my opinion and truly a team of legends over the years. Great atmosphere from what I remember.

Hackney  however many times I went i always got lost, one of my favourite race tracks, fair and fast and Len Silver always put on a great show, sadly missed. Saw Zenon Plech ride there and always though Bo Petersen rode it better than anyone and of course Barry Thomas.

White City, saw both WC/Internationals and League Racing there, some of the League crowds would have been decent anywhere but as been said "lost in the vastness"; a shame it could not have been saved and re-vamped as would make a superb venue now for 30-40,000 capacity major meetings, would have allowed us to have an English and British GP. Main gripe there was Car Parking from memory.

I went to Crayford once but for a Dog meeting and could not believe how small the speedway track looked. Shame i never got there to see the Costa Mesa of UK speedway at the time, would it have been about same size as Plymouth?

Managed to get to Crayford during their last season to watch one of my favourites making a rare appearance...Hasse Holmqvist!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Managed to get to Crayford during their last season to watch one of my favourites making a rare appearance...Hasse Holmqvist!

I went to Crayford over 80 times between 1975 and 83, including the reopener against Boston and the last ever v Newcastle. It was a small tricky track, but the stadium had great facilities and excellent grub. I started to go more regular in 1979 wnen White City shut. Unfortunately i never got there in the Highwaymen era, but i managed to squeak one in at Romford to make up for it. Thanks Dad!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stevehone said:

i used to love it at Wimbledon where all the lights would go off around the stadium and just leave the track lights for the race, great feel about it

For a time I had the pleasure of being the person who turned the lights out and then back on again at the end of the race. A vital job!

• Like 2

On 12/23/2007 at 9:19 PM, salty said:

I moved down to Kingston Poly in 1981 and was a regular at Plough Lane for the rest of the decade.

First match was the 38-38 draw against Cradley which was a pretty good start.

I used to love the smell of the bikes coming up through the wooden terracing on the first bend. The free pint I invariably got from Doris on the bar, the idiosyncratic announcing of Ken Tozer who would often not notice that a rider was missing from the parade.

The guy in the beret on the pit gate.

Enjoyed the Russell Lanning years when you really felt the club was being promoted.

Fav riders.. Malcolm Simmons, Kai Niemi, Toddy, Nathan Simpson and Terry Mussett.

Always feel a bit guilty that finances (or lack of them) dictated I rarely went for the last 2 seasons.

You never know a change of ownership or policy with the GRA and there might be a return in the future.

Only just catching up with this thread! Dear old Ken Tozer - not unknown for him to ask a rider who he was during the introductions. Happy days

also one of the nicest people i've ever met through speedway, dear old Lionel Crossley

1 hour ago, Sir Sidney said:

For a time I had the pleasure of being the person who turned the lights out and then back on again at the end of the race. A vital job!

You and me both. I worked in the refs box for a couple of seasons, from memory it was 1982/3. Ken Tozer was still the announcer. I also had the pleasure of updating the old scoreboards at both ends of the stadium, just after turning the lights back on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

also one of the nicest people i've ever met through speedway, dear old Lionel Crossley

Lionel was timekeeper at Wimbledon when i worked in the refs box.

This article, the first of two parts, was published in the South London Press on Friday June 7, 1991 to coincide with the closure of Wimbledon Speedway.

WIMBLEDON SPEEDWAY:

PART ONE:

The headlines read:

Small crowds and huges losses mean that for Wimbledon Speedway it is the...END OF THE ROAR

Wimbledon Stadium staged its final speedway meeting  this week - after a colourful history which stretches back 63 years. In today’s South London Press John Hyam - who went to his first speedway meeting in 1946 - looks back at the magical moments which helped make Wimbledon one of speedway’s top clubs.The final part of his special feature will be in Tuesday’s paper.

THE lights dimmed on a south London sporting tradition this week when Wimbledon staged its last speedway race.

After 63 years - interupted on by World War Two between 1939 and 1945 - the tapes have risen for the last time at Plough Lane.

Wimbledon was the sport’s oldest surviving speedway stadium - although fittingly perhaps last Wednesday’s visitors Belle Vue are speedway’s oldest club.

Both can trace their origins back to 1928, when the sport which started in Australia, spread to this country.

But although Belle Vue started a few months before Wimbledon, they moved to a new stadium in Manchester a couple of years ago.

During the 1980s Wimbledon’s future was threatened on a handful of occaisons, but the sport survived.

This time though there is no knight in shining armour poised to bring a speedway salvation at Plough Lane.

At the end of the month, the club will start racing on either Fridays or Sundays at Eastbourne - a track owned by 1960s Dons’ rider Bobby Dugard.

The Dugards have had links with Wimbledon since 1946, when Bobby’s father Charlie had a brief spell in Dons’ colours.

Ironically, Charlie’s Wimbledon career ended when he crashed with West Ham rider George Bason. The accident left both men with broken legs and happened only after they had been involved in an exchange transfer deal. For a couple of days before being sent home, they were in adjoining beds at nearby St George’s Hospital.

In the late 1970s, Bobby’s younger brother Eric had a brief spell in Wimbledon colours - on loan from Eastbourne, which had been bought freehold by Charlie in 1947.

Bobby has given Dons a special low rent to contiunue operations at the Sussex track and they will be known as ‘Wimbledon at Eastbourne’ until the end of the season.

The long term future of the club depends on how things work out during the next few months.

Wimbledon’s current troubles are a long way from the many years of speedway that has thrilled, delighted and amazed followers of the sport.

Some will say the rot at Plough Lane set in when spectacular young Swede Tommy Janson was killed while competing in his homeland in a mid-1970s World Championship qualifying round.

Tommy was a real personality who drew the fans, and after his death much of the magic and attendances went out of meetings at Plough Lane.

There are others who will see speedway’s decline on the decision to switch from the high standard British League, with its colourful international stars, to the more domesticated National League in the mid-1980s.

On the other hand, had the club not lowered its standards then, there may not have been a further six seasons of racing at Plough Lane.

Tommy Jansson’s death though was, in my opinion, the beginning of the end for speedway at Wimbledon - even if it took  some 15 more seasons for the end to finally arrive.

Tommy is not the only Wimbledon rider to have been killed on the track.

Back in 1937 Reg Vigor, who had been on loan to Wimbledon’s nursery track at Bristol, died in a horrific smash.

And in 1952, Italian-American Ernie Roccio, a great crowd pleaser was killed at West Ham.

Wimbledon have had links with American speedway riders since the mid-1930s, when Miny Waln and Byrd McKinney briefly raced for them in 1937. Then came the legendary Wilbur Lamoreaux, one of the sport’s all-time greats. He was later joined by New Yorker Benny Kaufmann - who could race as fast as he could talk!

Also another familiar figure around Plough Lane in the late 1930s was the dapper little Texan with the Spanish-sounding name Manuel Trujillo, who is still regarded as one of speedway’s most spectacular ever riders.

And, unlike his fellow North Americans who pioneered the now conventinal foot-forward style, Trujillo leg-trailed more spectacularly than anyone else.

When speedway restarted in 1946 after the war, riders were pooled and Wimbledon were allocated Oliver Hart, whose legtrailing broadsiding skill was enough to lift one’s heart into the mouth.

Lloyd Goffe was another of the great, spectacular legtrailers who carved a niche in Wimbledon colours in the post-war seasons, before moving on for spells with Harringay and St Austell.

In 1947, Hart moved on to Bradford in a three-way transfer that took Australian Bill Longley back to his pre-war club New Cross and their star Les Wotton to Wimbledon.

TO BE CONTINUED.

Edited by Guest

Originally published in the South London Press, on Tuesday  June 11, 1991:

WIMBLEDON FEATURE:

By JOHN HYAM

PART TWO:

The headlines read:

END OF THE ROAR

John Hyam takes a final look back at the personalities who have graced the Dons' track

IN its 63 years at Wimbledon Stadium, speedway produced many colourful personalities - some were big stars, others just honest-to-goodness pesronalities.

One such personality was post-war Dons’ rider Phil ‘Tiger’ Hart, who was born in nearby Balham and went on to become a millionaire.

In 1926, aged 16, he emigrated to Australia, saw speedway and took up the sport. He was with the first wave of Australians to arrive in Britain in 1928, and when England versus Australia tests started in the 1930s, Hart was selected for Australia - until somebody pointed out that he was an Englishman.

His spell at Plough Lane was brief, and he spent most of the pre-war years racing for tracks in the Midlands.

In 1948, Wimbledon paid Birmingham £1,000 for his transfer, but tragically in his first race back at Plough Lane, Hart crashed, broke his leg and retired from the sport.

Vic Duggan was an Australian who many claim was his country’s greatest ever rider, although he never won the World Championship. While his greatest triumphs were at another departed London track, Harringay in the mid-1940s, he started his British career with Wimbledon in the immediate pre-war seasons.

Ivan Mauger was another of the sport’s greats who started at Wimbledon as a 16-year-old in 1956.

It was only six years later when Mauger returned to ride for Newcastle that he started showing the form which was to make him one of speedway’s great world champions.

Ronnie Moore was another New Zealander who won the world championship. He came to England in 1950 with his father Les, also a rider.

Les failed to impress in trials at Plough Lane, but Ronnie became the club’s first world champions and one of Wimbledon’s best-loved stars.

While Les failed to get a Wimbledon place, he did form a unique team partnership with Ronnie at Shelbourne, on the outskirts of Dublin, which was Dons nursery track in the 1950s.

It was from there that Wimbledon found an outstanding Irish star in Dominic Perry - who quickly became known as Don Perry.

Shelbourne was also the training ground for another young New Zealander, Barry Briggs in the 1950s. Like Moore and Mauger, he also became one of speedway’s great world champions.

Another New Zealander who made a terrific impact on the sport in this period was Geoff Mardon - fittingly described as an ‘uncrowned world champion.’

In pre-war years - from 1929 to 1939 - in what was then the National League, Wimbledon made little impact on main events and only won the title once.

But in the 1950s and 1960s came their greatest run with seven championships over an eight season period.

Wimbledon’s move to Eastbourne in early 1991 has a parallel to 1948, when their own track temporarily based a ‘foreign team.’

It was the year of the Olympic Games, and for six weeks Wembley raced their home matches at Plough Lane.

In the heady post-war years, London derbies sustained speedway and Dons, who raced on Mondays, had regular away matches at West Ham (Tuesday), New Cross (Wednesday), Wembley (Thursday) and Harringay (Friday). The only ‘out of town’ matches were on Saturday, either at Belle Vue (Manchester) or Bradford.

Americans have always been popular at Wimbledon. In later pre-war years it was Wilbur Lamoreaux and Benny Kaufmann. In post-war seasons there was Ernie Roccio, Brad Oxley, Gene Woods and Bobby Ott. And pre-war came Canadians Goldie Restall and Crocky Rawding, while their fellow countryman the formidable Jimmy Gibb was a Don in 1949 and 1951.

Mind you, there have also been great English riders of world standard at Wimbledon. Post-war favourite Norman Parker for instance who in 1939 had been at Harringay with his brother Jack.

The latter was the big post-war star at Belle Vue and his tussles with Norman in the early post-war match race championship races were epic, no-quarter given events.Stylish Midlander Alex Statham, another pre-war Harringay star, the Buckinghamshire farmer and publican Ron How who won his laurels in the 1950s, coupled with Bobby Andrews, Cyril Brine, Split Waterman and Dave Jessup are others accepted as top stars.

Edited by Guest
name duplicated

The follow up to the seasons recounted in the 1991 'South London Press' articles was the four seasons of Conference League racing between 2001-2004, culminating in the end of the sport at Plough Lane.

Edited by Guest

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:37 AM, iris123 said:

Looking back it is surprising just how empty it all feels even for a London derby.Only looks like the pits bend had a large group.The Grandstand etc look sparse and the racing(well 80% very poor).Guess I was part of the cause,as during this period I hardly attended,but did really enjoy the mid 80s

When we talk about the track staff like Tozer and Crossley,the big guy with the white hair springs instantly to mind.Looks as if he is handing over the rains to someone else in this video.He comes on the track once or twice to give a bit of advise/help.But he is the one I always remember

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

You and me both. I worked in the refs box for a couple of seasons, from memory it was 1982/3. Ken Tozer was still the announcer. I also had the pleasure of updating the old scoreboards at both ends of the stadium, just after turning the lights back on!

I was a bit later than you - late 80s I think. I wasn't trusted with multi tasking! Someone else did the scoreboard. 

Lionel was still timekeeper at the time. Lovely man.

Some years later I also did some of the timekeeping and incident recording. Working with the ref certainly gives you a different perspective on things

44 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

I was a bit later than you - late 80s I think. I wasn't trusted with multi tasking! Someone else did the scoreboard. 

Lionel was still timekeeper at the time. Lovely man.

Some years later I also did some of the timekeeping and incident recording. Working with the ref certainly gives you a different perspective on things

I also helped Simmo run the short lived winter training school. I operated the starting gate to give the juniors a taste of racing conditions. It's amazing what you volunteer for when you're young and keen!.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gustix said:

coupled with Dave Jessup, Bobby Andrews, Cyril Brine, Split Waterman and Dave Jessup are others accepted as top stars.

Never knew that? There were TWO Dave Jessups who rode for Wimbledon! :rofl:

Steve

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

When we talk about the track staff like Tozer and Crossley,the big guy with the white hair springs instantly to mind.Looks as if he is handing over the rains to someone else in this video.He comes on the track once or twice to give a bit of advise/help.But he is the one I always remember

I think that's Jack Rackett. He was the clerk of the course.

• Like 1