British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

4 hours ago, gustix said:

The follow up to the seasons recounted in the 1991 'South London Press' articles was the four seasons of Conference League racing between 2001-2004, culminating in the end of the sport at Plough Lane.

...but with the short circuit car racing carrying on for another 11 active seasons at Wimbledon Stadium. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I think that's Jack Rackett. He was the clerk of the course.

I believe you are correct...

1 hour ago, gustix said:

...but with the short circuit car racing carrying on for another 11 active seasons at Wimbledon Stadium. 

...and back to four wheels we go...

1 hour ago, gustix said:

7 minutes ago, chunky said:

...and back to four wheels we go...

chunky - you appear to have an inferiority complex when it comes to the mention of other forms of motor sport at Wimbledon Stadium.

18 minutes ago, gustix said:

chunky - you appear to have an inferiority complex when it comes to the mention of other forms of motor sport at Wimbledon Stadium.

Not at all, but you constantly redirect threads about speedway to your love of cars - on a speedway forum...

34 minutes ago, gustix said:

Chunky - you appear to have an inferiority complex when it comes to the mention of other forms of motor sport at Wimbledon Stadium.

13 minutes ago, chunky said:

Not at all, but you constantly redirect threads about speedway to your love of cars - on a speedway forum...

But the BSF despite its title does carry debate on many other matters: politics, horse racing, song titles, the EU, football, Donald Trump - and more. As there were two forms of motor sport featured for many years at Wimbledon Stadium it is interesting to try and assess the popularity each had there surely?

Taking a judgement from that assessment it should be possible to get an idea of the public preference in regard to motor sport (both two and four wheel) when both are tenants at the same venue. Then it should be possible to establish why one has more popularity than the other and attempt to resolve any problems should such exist.

Edited by Guest

Whilst it is evident that Stock Cars and the like are far more successful  spectator wise than Speedway , personally I have never been able to see the reason

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gustix said:

But the BSF despite its title does carry debate on many other matters: politics, horse racing, song titles, the EU, football, Donald Trump - and more. As there were two forms of motor sport featured for many years at Wimbledon Stadium it is interesting to try and assess the popularity each had there surely?

Taking a judgement from that assessment it should be possible to get an idea of the public preference in regard to motor sport (both two and four wheel) when both are tenants at the same venue. Then it should be possible to establish why one has more popularity than the other and attempt to resolve any problems should such exist.

Popularity means absolutely nothing now - and won't in the future as far as Wimbledon is concerned.

Why is football so popular, yet is constantly slammed on the forum?

32 minutes ago, gustix said:

But the BSF despite its title does carry debate on many other matters: politics, horse racing, song titles, the EU, football, Donald Trump - and more.

It does, in the appropriate section.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chunky said:

Why is football so popular, yet is constantly slammed on the forum?

I assume by "...the forum..." you mean the BSF? That's IMO "...a mouse squeaking at a lion..." mentality. Small time thinking it's bigger than it is. A football match albeit in two 45 minute halfs by and large is constant action and happenings in less than two hours.

In most instances one spends far longer at a speedway meeting - up to two and half hours, yet the actual genuine action is probably about 20 minutes. The time spent getting one race started then taking place can be up to10 minutes.Far too long in a modern world that insists upon watching constant action. I tend to think of the old hackneyed phrase "...it's past its sell by date..."! Modernisation is urgently needed IMO.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Whilst it is evident that Stock Cars and the like are far more successful  spectator wise than Speedway , personally I have never been able to see the reason

A  possible reason is that you follow speedway in its supposed team concept whereas 'stock cars' are individual events and therefore interest focuses on how a favourite driver performs.

Also in 'stock cars' there is a varied choice of watching either contact or non-contact racing.

Speedway in its true concept is an individual sport masquerading under a team concept but without genuine club allegiances as is, for example, the case with football, rugby (both codes) and many other non-motorised sports

Edited by Guest

Who was the man with a stand in the Wimbledon racing pits who used to sell oil and other small speedway-related items to the riders? 

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I think that's Jack Rackett. He was the clerk of the course.

Guessing that Nigel Rackett was his son

12 hours ago, gustix said:

You make me laugh Gustix. You know the answer because you asked exactly the same question / made the same comment on Facebook. You asked

'The puzzles is how after the end of speedway at Plough Lane did Spedeworth Motorsport and short circuit car racing survive there for I think another 11 seasons?' 

and Ian Perkin responded to you

' the reason why cars continued and speedway did not was because to run speedway the BSPA require that you enter into a contract with the stadium you use to help provide assurance that you can complete the season and not pull out mid season.  Once the GRA sold their stadiums to Risk Capital Partners they were no longer prepared to lease Wimbledon Stadium to us anymore.  The cars on the other hand never had a lease with the stadium they ran on a week to week basis as the didn't have to produce a contract to get licensed by their governing body so Risk Capital Partners
could end their events whenever the re-development started.   Ian'

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gustix said:

22 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

You make me laugh Gustix. You know the answer because you asked exactly the same question / made the same comment on Facebook. You asked

'The puzzles is how after the end of speedway at Plough Lane did Spedeworth Motorsport and short circuit car racing survive there for I think another 11 seasons?' 

and Ian Perkin responded to you

' the reason why cars continued and speedway did not was because to run speedway the BSPA require that you enter into a contract with the stadium you use to help provide assurance that you can complete the season and not pull out mid season.  Once the GRA sold their stadiums to Risk Capital Partners they were no longer prepared to lease Wimbledon Stadium to us anymore.  The cars on the other hand never had a lease with the stadium they ran on a week to week basis as the didn't have to produce a contract to get licensed by their governing body so Risk Capital Partners
could end their events whenever the re-development started.   Ian'

Aren't you a little confused Sir Sidney? My item as quoted by you was a comment not a question. Read it carefully and notice the difference! Then have a laugh - at yourself!

Edited by Guest
spelling error.