British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

In fairness to dear old Bryan, and to norbold, of course, did either of them state categorically that Clem Cort appeared in 1929 Southern League matches for Wimbledon and Harringay, or did they simply state that he appeared for those teams in 1929. If only the latter, then where did the claim that they appeared in Southern League matches for those teams originate?

Did gustix simply assume that he appeared in Southern League matches, or was there any indication that he did? If there wasn't, then gustix could be considered more than the "messenger"...

Similar to Mark Cherry. I am happy to state that he rode for Birmingham in 1976, but I cannot interpret that as him riding in the BL in 1976...

Steve

• Like 1

I unreservedly apologise to everyone who has been following the item which I posted in regard to Wimbledon teams from 1929 onwards. As emphasised by chunky and iris123 I got matters very wrong - there is absolutely no doubt about that.

On further study through this thread and comments made in regard to other Posts that I have made regarding Wimbledon I realise that my knowledge of the club over the years is to put it mildly dubious.

Unfortunately, where items that I have referred to have had continual errors brought to attention, my attempts at correction have compounded my initial mistakes. My efforts to address these had a reverse effect - I expanded my initial mistake.

In order that the thread can resume on a more factual basis I will cease making any offerings about the club. Again, my apologies to everyone for the ongoing wrong information I have placed - especially in regard to riders activities in the 1929 season.

Well if we are allowed.....

A spectacular crash to start this Rye v Dons clash!!! Any idea on the riders for each team?

Could that be Paul Dowdall in white?? whoever it was he owes someone an apology...

1 hour ago, spinkox said:

Could that be Paul Dowdall in white?? whoever it was he owes someone an apology...

Too late for Dowdall; I don't recall him riding after the mid-70's. It was 1974 when he beat Eric Boocock in a second-half at Plough Lane.

Steve

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Too late for Dowdall; I don't recall him riding after the mid-70's. It was 1974 when he beat Eric Boocock in a second-half at Plough Lane.

Steve

I was there that night. Certainly had the crowd on their feet

1 hour ago, mickthemuppet said:

I was there that night. Certainly had the crowd on their feet

I wasn't there, but I was the following week, and I still have the prog! Maido gave him such a write-up...

Steve

Some years ago there was a FACEBOOK group/forum dedicated to Wimbledon to which, for some time, I was an active member. I subsequently lost contact (or had it terminated!!) with my membership. Does anyone know if the group/forum still functions? I think - as usual!! not certain - that its moderator may be a former Wimbledon rider?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Some years ago there was a FACEBOOK group/forum dedicated to Wimbledon to which, for some time, I was an active member. I subsequently lost contact (or had it terminated!!) with my membership. Does anyone know if the group/forum still functions? I think - as usual!! not certain - that its moderator may be a former Wimbledon rider?

Yes it is still there, John; or at least it was a few days ago. I am a member...

Steve

10 hours ago, gustix said:

Yes it is still there, John; or at least it was a few days ago. I am a member...

Steve

Thank you Steve. I tried again and briefly managed to trace the forum before it went off screen for me. The presumption must be that I am blocked for some reason by the group which I now have indication is run by former Dons rider Terry Mussett. I am unable to bring up the Link to the group/forum.

Edited by Guest

Steve

Steve Any chance you can provide a Link please and I'll try to enter again? Many thanks in anticipation!

I think if Terry is running it then you are wasting your time :party: I remember your antics on there and you was the reason a number of people started a different forum

Edited by iris123