British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

On 5/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, chunky said:

Then again, John didn't know Igor Plechanov, so - and no disrespect to Terry here - that isn't surprising...

I knew who Igor Plechanov was. I just did not recognise him in the photo that was shown. Get things in perspective please. 

I still cannot recall Terry Mussett as being a Wimbledon rider but could recite a list of Wimbledon riders - team men, junior grade who I can - and knew over the years.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

Not sure if his name has been mentioned but does anyone remember Roland Duke who appeared in second halves c1973? If I recall he had a grasstrack background.

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Not sure if his name has been mentioned but does anyone remember Roland Duke who appeared in second halves c1973? If I recall he had a grasstrack background.

Wore yellow Yamaha leathers... Being good on the grass, I expected him to do a little better on the shale than he did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Here is an England v Australia test with Roland, Julian Wigg and Chris Baybutt. The only names I recognise. Was a surprise that he didn’t last long at Wimbledon, because I think almost all decent grass trackers made a good career out of speedway. Guess a wonder Julian never gave it much of a go

30 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Here is an England v Australia test with Roland, Julian Wigg and Chris Baybutt. The only names I recognise. Was a surprise that he didn’t last long at Wimbledon, because I think almost all decent grass trackers made a good career out of speedway. Guess a wonder Julian never gave it much of a go

Brilliant stuff! Julian rode in second halves at Cowley on his grasstrack bike like many others (Matthewa, Drewitt Bros. etc) in 1972 before graduating to a speedway bike. He made a couple of appearances as a "Rebel" that same year but disappeared off the scene in 1973. Of course he later mentored bother Simon.

Edited by steve roberts

On 2/19/2019 at 8:09 AM, iris123 said:

Well if we are allowed.....

A spectacular crash to start this Rye v Dons clash!!! Any idea on the riders for each team?

Blimey. Keep turning left!

23 hours ago, gustix said:

I knew who Igor Plechanov was. I just did not recognise him in the photo that was shown. Get things in perspective please. 

Sorry if you think I am being a little harsh, John, but am totally nonplussed by the fact that a speedway journalist from the 1950's and 60's (and who spends a lot of time on speedway forums and groups), was unable to identify one of the most successful and recognisable figures in post-war speedway. Part of the reason I am probably more shocked than I should have been is because it follows on from you not being able to recognise Cyril Brine, Gerry Jackson, Cyril Maidment, and Barry Briggs, either facially or by nicknames.

23 hours ago, gustix said:

I still cannot recall Terry Mussett as being a Wimbledon rider but could recite a list of Wimbledon riders - team man junior grade who I can - and knew over the years.

Not sure of the relevance of that comment, and it seems a little disrespectful to Terry. You make him sound unimportant, by boasting that you can name a lot of other riders - including juniors who undoubtedly never came close to reaching Terry's level.

Edited by chunky

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Sorry if you think I am being a little harsh, John, but am totally nonplussed by the fact that a speedway journalist from the 1950's and 60's (and who spends a lot of time on speedway forums and groups), was unable to identify one of the most successful and recognisable figures in post-war speedway. Part of the reason I am probably more shocked than I should have been is because it follows on from you not being able to recognise Cyril Brine, Gerry Jackson, Cyril Maidment, and Barry Briggs, either facially or by nicknames.

Not sure of the relevance of that comment, and it seems a little disrespectful to Terry. You make him sound unimportant, by boasting that you can name a lot of other riders - including juniors who undoubtedly never came close to reaching Terry's level.

Re the caption: I commented because I regarded it as bizarre to identify riders in a team photo by nickname rather then their actual name. Of course I knew who they' were by their real name.

Re Terry Mussett and my comments: I still don't recall him although I did 'reports' on Wimbledon for the South London Press. Hardly went there actually from about 1977 until they reopened Conference League in 2002. Usually got their details through a phone call to manager Cyril Maidment or who ever was on office duty.

And here's a Facebook group featuring Wimbledon which so far has not mentioned Terry Mussett either! https://www.facebook.com/groups/283482255668541/

Edited by Guest
spelling error

Sometimes it is better to say nothing, than to post and make matters worse :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Re the caption: I commented because I regarded it as bizarre to identify riders in a team photo by nickname rather then their actual name. Of course I knew who they' were by their real name.

You stated, "Those names mean nothing to me."? That - and the sentence above - would again indicate that you didn't know who "Jacko", "Maido", and "Briggo" were. You also claimed that nobody was able to name the riders CORRECTLY, when it was clear to everybody that I knew exactly who they were. Yet you threw your toys out of the pram, all because I answered in a friendly and informal manner...

Still shocks the hell out of me that you didn't recognise Igor.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

And here's a Facebook group featuring Wimbledon which so far has not mentioned Terry Mussett either! https://www.facebook.com/groups/283482255668541/

Another totally peculiar statement! It's almost like you are trolling the internet in an effort to disprove the fact that Terry rode for us! Does the group mention Mark Fordham, Keith Whipp, Jack Wright, Sigvart Pedersen, Ian Williams, Gene Woods, Warren Mowat, Philip Lac-Szyrma, or Bob Abell?

Edited by chunky

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Another totally peculiar statement! It's almost like you are trolling the internet in an effort to disprove the fact that Terry rode for us! Does the group mention Mark Fordham, Keith Whipp, Jack Wright, Sigvart Pedersen, Ian Williams, Gene Woods, Warren Mowat, Philip Lac-Szyrma, or Bob Abell?

Obviously not! That's because they are not being discussed by me. Terry Mussett is that subject!

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, gustix said:

Obviously not! That's because they are not being discussed by me. Terry Mussett is that subject!

Calm down, John!

You seem to be using the fact that Terry hasn't been mentioned on the group as some kind of validation for you not knowing him, but that is totally irrelevant. The fact that they probably haven't mentioned the riders I named either is just as irrelevant - or relevant, depending on how you look at it.

1930s Queenlander Vic Huxley. A GENUINE Wimbledon speedway legend.

Image may contain: 1 person
Edited by Guest
spelling error

It didn't take me long to find mention of Terry Mussett on the Facebook page linked above. 

Nice picture of him in a team pic in a post initially shared by Jon Stevens and then put up by John Hyam.

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, salty said:

It didn't take me long to find mention of Terry Mussett on the Facebook page linked above. 

Nice picture of him in a team pic in a post initially shared by Jon Stevens and then put up by John Hyam.

image.jpeg

Alastair Stevens...a rider who showed much promise. Remember his interval demonstration rides at Cowley in 1984 as a fifteen year old.