British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

17 minutes ago, salty said:

It didn't take me long to find mention of Terry Mussett on the Facebook page linked above. 

Nice picture of him in a team pic in a post initially shared by Jon Stevens and then put up by John Hyam.

By THE John Hyam???

Sounds like some kind of  conspiracy theory here...

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Alastair Stevens...a rider who showed much promise. Remember his interval demonstration rides at Cowley in 1984 as a fifteen year old.

I really thought Ali was going to have a long and successful career...

Just now, chunky said:

I really thought Ali was going to have a long and successful career...

I remember the Oxford Promotion had plans to promote him full-time in 1986 but during the winter he fell thru' a floor during a restoration project (?) and it was decided to allow him a further season in the National League. He eventually moved up in 1987 but strangely found it tough going especially around Cowley when he had some difficulty negotiating the bends on occasions. He reappeared on a full-time basis at Cowley in 1990 and reached a decent second string standard before moving on.

Remember seeing Ali ride at Hackney in the NL Pairs in 1985, looked great that day considering his relative lack of experience. 

I'd forgotten about that off track accident.

Yes, I thought he looked a good prospect as well. A 7+ average in his first season was really promising 

16 minutes ago, salty said:

Remember seeing Ali ride at Hackney in the NL Pairs in 1985, looked great that day considering his relative lack of experience. 

I'd forgotten about that off track accident.

He also played a part in the "Cheetahs" KO Cup win in 1985 during the second leg at Cowley.

1 hour ago, salty said:

It didn't take me long to find mention of Terry Mussett on the Facebook page linked above. 

Nice picture of him in a team pic in a post initially shared by Jon Stevens and then put up by John Hyam.

image.jpeg

Not actually a specific mention of Terry Musset - just his name in a photo caption. 

Edited by Guest
spelling error

A great rider whose name is etched among those who created the wonderful Wimbledon speedway image - Poland's  Edward Jancarz.
Image may contain: one or more people

21 minutes ago, gustix said:

A great rider whose name is etched among those who created the wonderful Wimbledon speedway image - Poland's  Edward Jancarz.
Image may contain: one or more people

...and such a sad end to his life. RIP

31 minutes ago, gustix said:

Not actually a specific mention of Terry Musset - just his name in a photo caption. 

So his name and a photo of him in a Wimbledon team pic is not a specific mention? If you want people actually naming him in their posts it's unlikely as there are few actual posts on that site just lots of shared stuff. Incidentally, his name is also mentioned in  a newspaper article in the same shared post. 

Leave Tel alone! He was a good 'un!

Edited by salty

Arthur 'Westy' Westwood, Wimbledon, early 1930s. After his retirement Westwood was an active promoter in the immediate pre- and early post-war seasons. 

Image may contain: possible text that says 'FLYING ARTHUR WESTWOOD'

My records show this action photo as the long-remembered early speedway days rider Australian star  'Cyclone' Billy Lamont. 
Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, salty said:

So his name and a photo of him in a Wimbledon team pic is not a specific mention? If you want people actually naming him in their posts it's unlikely as there are few actual posts on that site just lots of shared stuff. Incidentally, his name is also mentioned in  a newspaper article in the same shared post. 

Leave Tel alone! He was a good 'un!

I agree about the use of SHARE on Facebook. It's a general trend on that Media in most of the sporting forums - not just speedway. I managed to find the photo post on FB that you refer to but not any article featuring or even mentioning Terry Mussett. Do you mean the Jon Stevens forum or the Wimbledon forum "Wimbledon Speedway - the fabulous Dons"?

Edited by Guest
group title needed

1 hour ago, salty said:

So his name and a photo of him in a Wimbledon team pic is not a specific mention?

So it wasn't just me that was sitting there scratching my head when I saw that one??? Yet another bizarre comment, eh?

Edited by chunky

46 minutes ago, gustix said:

I agree about the use of SHARE on Facebook. It's a general trend on that Media in most of the sporting forums - not just speedway. I managed to find the photo post on FB that you refer to but not any article featuring or even mentioning Terry Mussett. Do you mean the Jon Stevens forum or the Wimbledon forum "Wimbledon Speedway - the fabulous Dons"?

The latter. In the same shared posts. I believe they originated from Rodney Payne. Nothing against share.