British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

In 1948 because the Olympic Games included events at the Empire Stadium, Wembley, the speedway team staged a series of home matches at Wimbledon. I cannot seem to trace thees on the SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER website.I would like to know if Wembley raced four or six 'home' matches at Plough Lane please. Also, if possible classified results. Thank you.

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, gustix said:

In 1948 because the Olympic Games included events at the Empire Stadium, Wembley, the speedway team staged a series of home matches at Wimbledon. I cannot seem to trace thees on the SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER website.I would like to know if Wembley raced four or six 'home' matches at Plough Lane please. Also, if possible classified results. Thank you.

The results are on the Wembley file on the Researcher website, (mainly) identified for example as follows:

Thursday 29th April 1948  Wimbledon Stadium, London*  
Wembley Lions  52  Belle Vue Aces  31  (National League Division One) 

There were 17 Wembley home meetings staged at Plough Lane, plus the 'Wembley' World Championship qualifying round.

Edited by BL65
Information added

7 minutes ago, BL65 said:

The results are on the Wembley file on the Researcher website, (mainly) identified for example as follows:

Thursday 29th April 1948  Wimbledon Stadium, London*  
Wembley Lions  52  Belle Vue Aces  31  (National League Division One) 

I think there were 17 Wembley home meetings staged at Plough Lane.

Thank you BL65. A possibility you mention of Wembley having !7 'home' matches at Plough Lane. I wonder how I thought it was only six? I will again try the SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER for the match details/results but never seem to get a good response/link with the website.

8 minutes ago, gustix said:

Thank you BL65. A possibility you mention of Wembley having !7 'home' matches at Plough Lane. I wonder how I thought it was only six? I will again try the SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER for the match details/results but never seem to get a good response/link with the website.

I edited my post as you were replying.  I counted the number to confirm 17 plus the WCQR.  Wembley were able to go back home for the meeting on 2nd September.

Norman Parker, Wimbledon captain, 1946 to early 1950s.

Image may contain: 1 person

Benny Kaufman, the 1937 USA National champion, rode for Wimbledon in 1938. The following season Rider Control sent him to Southampton. My apologies for the poor photo quality.

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting
Edited by Guest

1931 - when Australia and Wimbledon's 'Cyclone' Billy Lamont won the 'world title!'
No photo description available.

The action style of Wimbledon captain Norman Parker, 1946-1953,

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Norman Parker was a very special rider. I think it therefore goes without saying that anyone named after him must be very special too....:D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, norbold said:

Norman Parker was a very special rider. I think it therefore goes without saying that anyone named after him must be very special too....:D

Guess you are lucky your parents favourite rider wasn’t ‘Crusty’ Pye or Digger Pugh or even Pee Wee Cullum:D 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Guess you are lucky your parents favourite rider wasn’t ‘Crusty’ Pye or Digger Pugh or even Pee Wee Cullum:D 

It wouldn't have mattered. It was my brother who named me.

• Haha 1

Can any forum member provide more details in regard to this photo please?Image may contain: 1 person

28 minutes ago, gustix said:

Can any forum member provide more details in regard to this photo please?Image may contain: 1 person

What more details do you require other than those already in the comments section?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1