British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Was he a Kiwi or am I totally off the mark? I seem to remember he rode weaing cream coloured boots!

He was an Aussie, but was born in Derby, I believe.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, prodons said:

Rob Jones appeared on the scene in 1972, stayed for a couple of seasons then re-appeared in 1977. Never seemed to make it out of the reserve berth but was popular.

Brendan Stilleto, Brewer, Pawson, Knowler, P.Johns, were riders who come to mind who never really made the breakthrough.Moggo ( Mogridge)  did  really well went on and had a decent career  he was great value gave everything..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Brendan Stilleto, Brewer, Pawson, Knowler, P.Johns, were riders who come to mind who never really made the breakthrough.Moggo ( Mogridge)  did  really well went on and had a decent career  he was great value gave everything..

I wonder if Steve was thinking of Pat Pawson? He was a Kiwi...

Think he was an Aussie, came around the same time as Neil Cameron.

Cameron incidentally was the main person in one of Mike Patrick’s most memorable Speedway photos from Plough Lane in 1974. Neil spun round (on Briggo’s spare bike) on the first bend and Barry Crowson of King’s Lynn used him as a launching pad! 

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Until Kelvin appeared in 1983, we never really got the hang of the 50 point rule. Unfortunately none of the riders you mention Sidney ever did much from the number 7 berth. Though Moggo stunned everyone by nabbing a matching 7 at King’s Lynn in 1982.

16 minutes ago, chunky said:

I wonder if Steve was thinking of Pat Pawson? He was a Kiwi...

Yes that's sounding familiar.

14 minutes ago, prodons said:

Cameron incidentally was the main person in one of Mike Patrick’s most memorable Speedway photos from Plough Lane in 1974. Neil spun round (on Briggo’s spare bike) on the first bend and Barry Crowson of King’s Lynn used him as a launching pad! 

Neil was decent middle order man but lost his way with a move to Poole then Newport (?) and made one appearance for White City before disapperaing from the scene.

16 minutes ago, prodons said:

Until Kelvin appeared in 1983, we never really got the hang of the 50 point rule. Unfortunately none of the riders you mention Sidney ever did much from the number 7 berth. Though Moggo stunned everyone by nabbing a matching 7 at King’s Lynn in 1982.

Tatum, Doncaster, Screen, ,Loram ,  Graves changed the way a little by going full time into a very tough BL. Graves is one that puzzles me he was pretty talented never really stepped up Eccles at Belle Vue was another without sustaining injury he would of been a regular at BL level.

9 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Tatum, Doncaster, Screen, ,Loram ,  Graves changed the way a little by going full time into a very tough BL. Graves is one that puzzles me he was pretty talented never really stepped up Eccles at Belle Vue was another without sustaining injury he would of been a regular at BL level.

I remember an interview with fellow Bradford reserve Gordon Whitaker who was less than complimentary about Michael Graves who he felt was somewhat full of himself and was looked upon by the Bradford Manangement at the time as someone special but who never really fullfilled his potential.

Couple of second half riders who did make it were Gordon Kennett and Ted Hubbard. Though not for Wimbledon. Well in Gordon’s case it took some years before he did

Edited by iris123

22 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Couple of second half riders who did make it were Gordon Kennett and Ted Hubbard. Though not for Wimbledon. Well in Gordon’s case it took some years before he did

Oxford did put in a tentative bid for Ted Hubbard in 1972 but it came to nought!

1 hour ago, prodons said:

I think you'll find it was Neil who used Barry as a launching pad, or as Mike Patrick said, "Neil Cameron climbing all over Barry Crowson"!

Personally, I thought Neil could have gone on to better things. All he had to do was stay on the bike for four laps (assuming he didn't go through the tapes) a little more often. As has been said, after leaving Plough Lane, he wasn't the same.

Edited by chunky

My Pictures0025-2

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, iris123 said:

And Rudy Muts who was a Wimbledon second halver in 1976 went on to ride at number 1 for the team at least once

17 minutes ago, Robbie B said:

And Rudy Muts who was a Wimbledon second halver in 1976 went on to ride at number 1 for the team at least once

Salomonson, Hines, Johns, Muts, were all half decent  but could not Quite push on in there careers.Johns to be fair had a couple of good seasons figures wise but two riders who i felt given time could of been pretty decent were Brad Oxley and Anders Erickson.