British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

13 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Who is the lovely man-'cos I don't know-I think the photo of the guy with the moustache is Mike Patrick-the photog??

It's Ken Archer, Bob.  He was longtime Pit Marshal at Wimbledon, Hackney, and White City, and a great friend.  Sadly, he passed away a few months ago, Yes, the other one is Mike.

Edited by chunky

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

What team pic? Or do  you mean the uncaptioned item of men in evening suits?

TBH I no longer care about the photo, Wimbledon  or the BSFat the moment. 

My bad, I mean the uncaptioned item. Sorry...

58 minutes ago, prodons said:

Was a crying shame when the Dons failed to find a way into the 1990 British League. Not only did we lose Todd to Reading but also Russell Lanning (who had done an amazing job as Promotor over the previous 2 seasons) quit Speedway in disgust. 

Apparently we were lining up Martin Dugard, Andy Galvin and other fantastic up and coming riders...

Not sure about Dugard but I know they had Jeremy Doncaster lined up as their number 1. It would've been interesting to have seen how the fans had taken to 'our' Andy..I'm sure he would have won them over!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Terry said:

It would've been interesting to have seen how the fans had taken to 'our' Andy..I'm sure he would have won them over!

It was only AFTER he'd gone norf of the river that we started to hate him! Remember, he had previously had some outings for us while he was at Crayford.

Was early 1930s Wimbledon rider the Australian 'Cyclone' Billy Lamont the club's most spectacular-ever rider?

Image may contain: one or more people, bicycle and outdoor
Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

Was early 1930s Wimbledon rider the Australian 'Cyclone' Billy Lamont the club's most spectacular-ever rider?

Close call with Buzz 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gustix said:

Was he the one billed as “ The Man aWith A Month To Live “ because of his spectacular style ?

1 minute ago, E I Addio said:

Was he the one billed as “ The Man aWith A Month To Live “ because of his spectacular style ?

Yes. But also interesting that there was another with the same nickname at the same time Cyclone Mookey 

• Like 1

My profile photo is of Vic Huxley and Billy Lamont.

52 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Close call with Buzz 

Buzz! Who could that Bee? 'Cyclone' Billy Lamont is an all-time speedway legend. Who do you compare him with? And on what basis?

Just now, gustix said:

Buzz! Who could that Bee? 'Cyclone' Billy Lamont is an all-time speedway legend. Who do you compare him with? And on what basis?

Buzz is also an all-time speedway legend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gustix said:

1 minute ago, gustix said:

Probably is in the Tooting area of south west London but not in a general concept of speedway history. I presume the rider you refer to his Mark Burrows? 

Must say I never heard anyone near me talk about Billy Lamont when I attended meetings at Plough Lane

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Must say I never heard anyone near me talk about Billy Lamont when I attended meetings at Plough Lane

That's as maybe but in many writings on the early days of  speedway racing the name of 'Cyclone' Billy Lamont is frequently mentioned.

What’s great about this site and this particular topic, is that we all have our own favourites to pick from.

Mark “Buzz” Burrows was, IMO the most spectacular and arguably most popular rider of the CL era at Plough Lane. He’d definitely make my all time top 10 Dons riders based on entertainment value!