British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

And today marks 44 years since the passing of Tommy Jansson.

A true Wimbledon legend that had so much ahead of him to achieve.

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 5

44 years..unbelievable that so much time has elapsed.

Does anyone recommend the Tommy Jansson book? I've just seen a link to it on eBay and was tempted to get it.

Hi pardons if you are on about the book 'Tommy Jansson The Legend Who Died Young' then I do have and read this extremely interesting and informative book about Tommy that I would highly recommended to anyone that remembers him racing.

Yes I've also read the book...well worth it.

Thirded! I thought it was a great read and very moving.

• Like 1

From the early 1950s: Ronnie Moore, Norman Parker, Cyril Brine, Ernie Roccio.

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people standing and text

Stu Towner is much respected as a 'back room' boy at Wimbledon. Hopefully this FACEBOOK link will give an interesting insight into into his activities over the years:

https://www.facebook.com/stu.towner?__tn__=%2CdC-RH-R-R&eid=ARB0k75l1UlvnoMt20vzylm3oGnX79DQll1mS_KXNelEHfTdV-TGD00IKL_9a6AZbbXxKMKcZIB4btCB&hc_ref=ARTsEIHoHdtx_cXBB-8tO0YPcWsERnEK5IdoY0vIb3PfLnoRbGWlMjTlwcqe_qUAkgE&fref=nf

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, gustix said:

Stu Towner is much respected as a 'back room' boy at Wimbledon. Hopefully this FACEBOOK link will give an interesting insight into into his activities over the years:

https://www.facebook.com/stu.towner?__tn__=%2CdC-RH-R-R&eid=ARB0k75l1UlvnoMt20vzylm3oGnX79DQll1mS_KXNelEHfTdV-TGD00IKL_9a6AZbbXxKMKcZIB4btCB&hc_ref=ARTsEIHoHdtx_cXBB-8tO0YPcWsERnEK5IdoY0vIb3PfLnoRbGWlMjTlwcqe_qUAkgE&fref=nf

Doesn't really. All I get is a photo of I guess him and his wife in a sidecar (liked by terry Mussett, I see), another photo of a rider in a Dons body colour and then the date he was born. Not really that interesting, but thought I would post, as either you have done something wrong or there isn't much there, or it is just for friends to look at, and as such, they will have looked, I guess

Edited by iris123

Then go to Photos, that's me in the Dons body colour. Stu

26 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Doesn't really. All I get is a photo of I guess him and his wife in a sidecar (liked by terry Mussett, I see), another photo of a rider in a Dons body colour and then the date he was born. Not really that interesting, but thought I would post, as either you have done something wrong or there isn't much there, or it is just for friends to look at, and as such, they will have looked, I guess

An interesting point. There is some glitch on the forum and this just might be what it is.

9 hours ago, gustix said:

6 hours ago, iris123 said:

5 hours ago, stutowner said:

Then go to Photos, that's me in the Dons body colour. Stu

The FB forum now appears in order but you may need to join it. But have a try at this revised Link: 

https://www.facebook.com/stu.towner

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, gustix said:

The FB forum now appears in order but you may need to join it. But have a try at this revised Link: 

https://www.facebook.com/stu.towner

Yes that works. Great. I’ll have a gander

Does anyone have any memories of the legendary Ronnie Greene who was Promoter between 1937 - 1970?

I’ve read that he was respected (and feared!) by many other riders and Promoters, but he certainly had the Midas touch leading the Dons to 7 National League titles and umpteen cup successes.

Well I guess he had some power in the sport, they way he threatened (I imagine he was backed by other promoters) to ban Briggo from defending his world title if he didn't race for the Dons