British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

5 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Do you mean local to Jens Rasmussen and his place of abode or local to yourself. Is this local place a common haunt for speedway riders given the other two examples?

Here is a list of English towns and I don't see one called local.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_England

Here is a link to the website of Jens Rasmussen:

http://www.jensrasmussen.org/

If I could make some suggestions, Junior...

Firstly, it would appear more genuine had you used bold.

Secondly, I would suggest using "cannot" as opposed to "don't".

Do you have any information about this Jens fellow, as I do not seem to recall him?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gustix said:

That's interesting about your mother's links with the Wimbledon SSC. I knew another lady who was also involved with the Wimbledon SSC - Mrs Dorothy Charles Batson. I recall a sad happening in regard to Mrs Batson's scrapbook. She loaned it to my old friend the late John Chaplin. In his turn he loaned it on to me. I am positive that I later posted the scrapbook to Mrs Batson. Sadly I think it became lost in the Postal system.

Of course, my mum knew Mrs B, but although I did meet her on occasion, that was much later (and I was a kid). A wonderful and very unique lady, Mrs B...

The Speedway Star actually published a photo of my mum with Ronnie Moore.

Edited by chunky

46 minutes ago, chunky said:

If I could make some suggestions, Junior...

Firstly, it would appear more genuine had you used bold.

Secondly, I would suggest using "cannot" as opposed to "don't".

Do you have any information about this Jens fellow, as I do not seem to recall him?

...I thought about passing comment on bwitcher's references but had more important duties to perform! ;)

Edited by steve roberts

49 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I thought about passing comment on bwitcher's references but had more important duties to perform! ;)

Hey, the OLD BWitcher is back!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Of course, my mum knew Mrs B, but although I did meet her on occasion, that was much later (and I was a kid). A wonderful and very unique lady, Mrs B...

The Speedway Star actually published a photo of my mum with Ronnie Moore.

Mrs Dorothy Charles Batson was indeed a delightful person She used to regularly phone my own dear late wife. I cannot still recall coming home from work at the South London Press and my wife saying, "That lovely lady Mrs B phoned me today."

On 5/17/2020 at 12:21 AM, gustix said:

TBH I no longer care about the photo, Wimbledon  or the BSFat the moment. 

I wonder if this is what one describes as being ‘whimsically eccentric ‘ ? :rofl:

A. De Bunker

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I wonder if this is what one describes as being ‘whimsically eccentric ‘ ? :rofl:

A. De Bunker

You don't give up do you? Have you thought about taking medical advice in regard to your passion for posting adverse comments/responses to other members' posts?

4 minutes ago, gustix said:

You don't give up do you? Have you thought about taking medical advice in regard to your passion for posting adverse comments/responses to other members' posts?

Just trying to clarify something. You have a passion for bringing up posts from over a year ago back into the arena John. Is it one rule for you and another for the rest ? I wonder what your answer will be 

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Just trying to clarify something. You have a passion for bringing up posts from over a year ago back into the arena John. Is it one rule for you and another for the rest ? I wonder what your answer will be 

I don't ask for or seek special rules in regard to what I post on the BSF. If I break them - which tends to happen - I get a 'warning shot' from a BSF Mod. Then I try to comply with that guideline from then onwards.

Anyone seen that Wimbledon team photo doing the rounds on FB from 1967 ? On the South West London group at least, which my dad sent me. Know all the riders apart from the two kneeling at the ends, left and right .Know there were a couple of riders that year that I have never seen a pic of Alan Stapleton for instance

Edited by iris123

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Anyone seen that Wimbledon team photo doing the rounds on FB from 1967 ? On the South West London group at least, which my dad sent me. Know all the riders apart from the two kneeling at the ends, left and right .Know there were a couple of riders that year that I have never seen a pic of Alan Stapleton for instance

That's interesting! I'll check that out, as there can't be many team pics I haven't seen... Don't think I've ever seen Alan Stapleton either.

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's interesting! I'll check that out, as there can't be many team pics I haven't seen... Don't think I've ever seen Alan Stapleton either.

Graham King put it on the 'I grew up in South West London' group. 10 riders there

15 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Graham King put it on the 'I grew up in South West London' group. 10 riders there

Just checked, and I hadn't seen that one before! Like you, I don't know those two on the ends, but the guy on the left looks vaguely familiar. Have to do some research, methinks...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Just checked, and I hadn't seen that one before! Like you, I don't know those two on the ends, but the guy on the left looks vaguely familiar. Have to do some research, methinks...

Yes. I thought the guy on the right looks a bit like Mike Broadbank's brother :D

What was the nearest pub to Plough lane and where were Dons fans most likely to go??