British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

What was the nearest pub to Plough lane and where were Dons fans most likely to go??

The Plough was the closest, right opposite the main entrance, and the White Lion (also called the Hare and Hounds) was only a few feet more distant, being on the corner of Summerstown. We used to use the Plough when we were picking up the coach to away meetings. Then the was The Corner Pin, a two minute walk down Summerstown.

The Pin is the only one still operating as a pub.

Edited by chunky

4 hours ago, chunky said:

The Plough was the closest, right opposite the main entrance, and the White Lion (also called the Hare and Hounds) was only a few feet more distant, being on the corner of Summerstown. We used to use the Plough when we were picking up the coach to away meetings. Then the was The Corner Pin, a two minute walk down Summerstown.

The Pin is the only one still operating as a pub.

The Prince of Wales was also very close to the stadium. The Plough was always my local, i seldom used the other three. I used to go in the Sportsman at the other end of Plough Lane prior to attending football matches.

13 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The Prince of Wales was also very close to the stadium.

I knew I was forgetting one! Yeah, the Sportsman was at the entrance of the football club in Durnsford Rd.

13 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

What was the nearest pub to Plough lane and where were Dons fans most likely to go??

If I'm not mistaken they did sell alcohol at the stadium. I seem to remember having a beer there but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

45 minutes ago, Split said:

If I'm not mistaken they did sell alcohol at the stadium. I seem to remember having a beer there but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

They certainly  had a  Bar at the Stadium as II recall.

Apart from the bar at the back of the grandstand, pretty sure I used to get a pint from a wee hatch at the back of the first bend terrace when I first started going to Plough Lane in 1981.

In later years used to get a pint from the main bar. There was a lady who worked there for years. She lived in Raynes Park and used to be regular when I worked in the bookies in Lambton Road there. Used to give me a pint on the house each week, but can't recall her name - best guess - Doris. Maybe someone else might recall her?

What year did they close the back straight stand for Speedway? I'm guessing it was when they went NL in 1985?

11 minutes ago, salty said:

Apart from the bar at the back of the grandstand, pretty sure I used to get a pint from a wee hatch at the back of the first bend terrace when I first started going to Plough Lane in 1981.

In later years used to get a pint from the main bar. There was a lady who worked there for years. She lived in Raynes Park and used to be regular when I worked in the bookies in Lambton Road there. Used to give me a pint on the house each week, but can't recall her name - best guess - Doris. Maybe someone else might recall her?

What year did they close the back straight stand for Speedway? I'm guessing it was when they went NL in 1985?

Yes, sure there was a hatch on the first bend. Was also a bar I think in the back straight stand, but my guess was the stand was closed a year r two later than that. It was where I used to sit with my school and local mates in the 70s. When I started going regularly again in 84 I also sat there in roughly the same old place as before, and just from a poor memory it feels like I went in there for a few seasons 

One of the great things, I thought about the stadium in the 60s770s was the little hatches and shops under the stands etc. The Supporters Club shop under the first bend and seem to recall another one further round towards the back straight that might have sold old programmes etc

Edited by iris123

THE two bars in the grandstand provided a great social area after the meeting. In those days many of the riders, home and away, would be there. Ronnie Moore always came along, ready for his brandy and coke. 

One of my best memories of such occasions was when Belle Vue were the visitors and two of speedway's greatest ever characters, Chris Pussy and Alan Wilkinson, kept me entertained until closing time. Happy times ...

It was around that time that I ghosted speedway columns for Barry Briggs, Ivan Mauger, Peter Collins, Ray Wilson and Chris Pusey which were syndicated to many local newspapers across Britain. Chris used to provide some great copy!

Edited by PHILIPRISING

50 minutes ago, salty said:

Yep, the one at the top of the first bend was right where the open terracing met the glass enclosure.

I've often wondered when the stand closed - being a Pit Bend Loony, I never went anywhere else, and I honestly can't remember. Maybe checking some of the videos on YouTube will provide an answer.

3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE two bars in the grandstand provided a great social area after the meeting. In those days many of the riders, home and away, would be there. Ronnie Moore always came along, ready for his brandy and coke.

As a kid in the 60's and 70's, going up to the grandstand bar after the meeting was an autograph hunter's paradise. It wasn't just that night's riders either, but you would always find a collection of other riders in attendance. You couldn't take a step without recognising someone.

Ah, those were the days...

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

As a kid in the 60's and 70's, going up to the grandstand bar after the meeting was an autograph hunter's paradise. It wasn't just that night's riders either, but you would always find a collection of other riders in attendance. You couldn't take a step without recognising someone.

See, me and my mates never went up there. We went to the pits and the bar which was private, half way up the steps to the grandstand. Maido always seemed to be at the door

Just now, iris123 said:

See, me and my mates never went up there. We went to the pits and the bar which was private, half way up the steps to the grandstand. Maido always seemed to be at the door

That "club" (I can't remember what it was called now) used to be the prize bingo! My mum always went in there after the meeting for a couple of games.

35 minutes ago, chunky said:

Big difference between you and my autograph hunting youth at Dudley Wood. None of the plush surrounds of the Plough Lane grandstand for us, we used to have hang around the back straight car park in the hope of bagging a few.

Like you Chunky I used to stand on the pit band. Always preferred the open air than watching behind the glass, though there were a few late October meetings when the option was nice!

11 minutes ago, salty said:

Big difference between you and my autograph hunting youth at Dudley Wood. None of the plush surrounds of the Plough Lane grandstand for us, we used to have hang around the back straight car park in the hope of bagging a few.

Like you Chunky I used to stand on the pit band. Always preferred the open air than watching behind the glass, though there were a few late October meetings when the option was nice!

Oh, absolutely it's better outside! In fact, I think the ONLY time I have ever watched a meeting from behind glass was the last British GP at Hackney. And we couldn't see sh!t...

18 minutes ago, chunky said:

Oh, absolutely it's better outside! In fact, I think the ONLY time I have ever watched a meeting from behind glass was the last British GP at Hackney. And we couldn't see sh!t...

WATCHING behind the glass at Plough Lane severely diminished the atmosphere, no smell either, but it was great post-meeting.

• Like 1