British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

You are so right Philip. On my last ever visit to Wimbledon, 2nd July 1966 v. Exeter (Tommy Sweetman beat Nygren in the Silver Sash race) we were in the grandstand-think we got a meal there-must have felt flush- but being behind the glass totally destroyed the atmosphere-couldn't smell the Castrol R for example and it was a bit too genteel for me. Never agin, I want to be standing close to the fence.

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WATCHING behind the glass at Plough Lane severely diminished the atmosphere, no smell either, but it was great post-meeting.

i did love how all the lights went down and just the track was lit up, shame they don't do that anywhere now

• Like 1

I used to watch the chilly early season meetings behind glass at Plough Lane, but soon ventured outside as it got milder.

18 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WATCHING behind the glass at Plough Lane severely diminished the atmosphere, no smell either, but it was great post-meeting.

Once took my cousins son and we sat behind the glass. After a couple of heats he started crying his eyes out and my mum took him home. No idea what he would have been like outside :P

On 6/15/2020 at 6:09 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

THE two bars in the grandstand provided a great social area after the meeting. In those days many of the riders, home and away, would be there. Ronnie Moore always came along, ready for his brandy and coke.

Do your remember a yard of ale competition - I think Reg Luckhurst took part - around 1969.

1 hour ago, spinkox said:

Do your remember a yard of ale competition - I think Reg Luckhurst took part - around 1969.

AT least it stopped him singing:party:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Only sat behind the glass once, around 66 British semi-final?, won easily by Barry Briggs, 15 max.

21 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Only sat behind the glass once, around 66 British semi-final?, won easily by Barry Briggs, 15 max.

Me just the once as well...Eastbourne's first meeting in the top flight in 1979. Just not the same behind glass. I've had meals in the restaurant at Cowley whilst watching the racing and the same applied.

I only ever watched the first couple at my first ever speedway meeting in 1976 behind the main grandstand glass once you have experienced speedway outside in the open air with the noise and smell that surrounds you, then there is no going back inside a sterile environment no-matter how cold it may get outside. I remember having to out my pen in a warm place on many occasions to keep it warm, so that I would be able to fill in the programme. 

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1

Grandstand always seemed full to me, so obviously enough people enjoyed their speedway behind glass. They did I think at one time have a few tv screens showing re-runs maybe. B&W from memory. Not sure if they were ever updated to colour though:D and of course the burgers from the place at the top were to die for

Remember when at Hackney behind glass my brother blew the klaxon horn that were all the rage during the seventies & eighties and was promptly told where to go! We still got to beat the "Hawks" though!

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

and of course the burgers from the place at the top were to die for

agree!! the place right at the end of the grandstand next to the first bend

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehone said:

agree!! the place right at the end of the grandstand next to the first bend

The mini steak bar!

before they closed the back straight etc i always sat on the wooden steps on exit of bend 2, then would wander round and see Mr Brown and the 1st bend loonies.

away trips on the coach were ok but we did a little 'breakaway' minibus that was always fun

my cousin used to sit with Mrs Rising in the grandstand so always paid a visit to the grandstand too, i don't know how i got to see all the racing with all the meeting up with people

Edited by stevehone

Just browsing the internet and come across this site. So many wonderful memories of our great Wimbledon team, and some of our supporters. Didn’t notice anyone had included our victory at Cradley Heath in the 80s (?) when we ended their 90+ unbeaten home league run. Remember celebrating on the terracing when a local muppet copper was going to arrest all the Dons supporters for over enthusiastic and loud cheering. Remember one of their “fans” smashed a coach window,  Pat got off threw a burger at him and the bloke legged it. Who can forget Walrus and Jimmy at Edinburgh. Great memories. And a big hello to Brownie.

• Like 1