British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

On 7/1/2020 at 12:35 PM, mitchamdon said:

Just browsing the internet and come across this site. So many wonderful memories of our great Wimbledon team, and some of our supporters. Didn’t notice anyone had included our victory at Cradley Heath in the 80s (?) when we ended their 90+ unbeaten home league run. Remember celebrating on the terracing when a local muppet copper was going to arrest all the Dons supporters for over enthusiastic and loud cheering. Remember one of their “fans” smashed a coach window,  Pat got off threw a burger at him and the bloke legged it. Who can forget Walrus and Jimmy at Edinburgh. Great memories. And a big hello to Brownie.

Okay, which Mitcham Don are you? 

On 7/1/2020 at 5:35 PM, mitchamdon said:

Remember one of their “fans” smashed a coach window

i was on the minibus the night this happened :rofl:

Chunky, Should have called myself Pollards Hill Don and you may have recognised me (Gareth Mays).  My daughter kept nagging me to take her to speedway so took her 2 years ago to see the Arena Essex v Peterborough double header at Rye House. Bloke behind me kept tapping me on the leg with his walking stick and when I turned round he had hidden behind somebody. Finally caught the bloke who was doing it, it was Mick The Gut - first time Id seen him since the resurrected Wimbledon folded. 

Edited by mitchamdon
Additional wording

Without wishing to open a can of worms here with mention of 4 wheeled action, I was wondering what and where Ronnie Moore was racing when he left speedway for a while to take up auto racing ? I did find something mentioning his lining up alongside Jack Brabham and Sterling Moss on the GP circuit !! Anyone have some actual information on this part of his life ? Not the Atom car stuff, as that has been done a few times already

There’s a bit of information about his car racing career in the Speedway Star issue from August 25th 2018 that was published after his death. Peter Oakes wrote 5 pages as a special tribute to Mirac.

21 hours ago, iris123 said:

Without wishing to open a can of worms here with mention of 4 wheeled action, I was wondering what and where Ronnie Moore was racing when he left speedway for a while to take up auto racing ? I did find something mentioning his lining up alongside Jack Brabham and Sterling Moss on the GP circuit !! Anyone have some actual information on this part of his life ? Not the Atom car stuff, as that has been done a few times already

I think that Björn Knutson also tried his hand at car racing when he retired from Speedway.

26 minutes ago, Split said:

I think that Björn Knutson also tried his hand at car racing when he retired from Speedway.

I seem to recall that Ivan toyed with idea during the winter of 1972 due to a contractual dispute with his club at the time?

My mums Uncle worked as Ronnie Moore's mechanic and then as machine examiner, and my grandfather worked as a St.John's first aid helper at the stadium. Not sure if i have mentioned this before -_-

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

My mums Uncle worked as Ronnie Moore's mechanic and then as machine examiner, and my grandfather worked as a St.John's first aid helper at the stadium. Not sure if i have mentioned this before -_-

And dear old Ken Chaplin was a member of the track staff, along with sons Brian and Derek. Ken also used to run the tea bar under the stand at Wimbledon FC, along with wife Margaret.

Does anyone have the time for heat 1 Wimbledon v Hackney (British League) Tuesday 24 September 1981? 

Because I' am need this heat time to complete my Wimbledon 1981 file for the speedway researcher website and I cannot my meeting programme. The score is not available in the Speedway Star magazine.

On 1/12/2022 at 1:04 PM, iris123 said:

Was that Viv Harwood? If so, hats off to him for all his valuable work over the years.

5 minutes ago, prodons said:

Was that Viv Harwood? If so, hats off to him for all his valuable work over the years.

Yes

my dad was a groundsman and my mum walked the greyhounds round before the race, that's how they met.

my grandad also worked at the stadium

9 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

The most recent count of viewers to this thread was 40,994 views. That's far more than ever visited Wimbledon Stadium for speedway, greyhound racing or oval circuit car racing for one of their meetings. 

And?

14 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

The most recent count of viewers to this thread was 40,994 views. That's far more than ever visited Wimbledon Stadium for speedway, greyhound racing or oval circuit car racing for one of their meetings. 

Probably because the capacity was around 20,000 at its peak…