British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

6 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Apologies for using a Link - a practice of mine that tends so annoy some BSF members!!! - but use of this Link should (hopefully!) detail riders who rode for the Dons over th years:

https://londonspeedways.proboards.com/board/76/london-team-squads

It's not that you post links. It's that you CONSTANTLY post links without saying anything - and the links you post are usually just for self-promotion. I've told you MANY times - TALK to people.

Edited by chunky

10 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

The most recent count of viewers to this thread was 40,994 views. That's far more than ever visited Wimbledon Stadium for speedway, greyhound racing or oval circuit car racing for one of their meetings. 

Well. Think I have looked at this thread a few times and you definitely have as well ….. you haven’t told us anything with that figure 

18 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

This is just a comparison of how many Posts this thread has received. It's not as the usual detractors to my Posts intimate that at one time I was passing a comment in regard to crowd attendances at the stadium. It was about how many viewers there had been to the three.  Now stand by for the usual spate of contradictions.

I started a thread that has over 215,000 views !!!- that`s far more people that have been in my living room :D

• Haha 1

I did see a photo earlier of a new bar that is called the Speedway bar with a Dons emblem on it. Guess this is at the Wimbledon football stadium ? 

2 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Big deal!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WIMBLEDON!

Says the man who is asking about pre-war action in France on a thread about Ted Spittles...

1 minute ago, JohnHyam said:

I agree PotteringAround - to a certain extent. But Wimbledon Stadium was NEVER big enough to house a 40,994 attendance for ONE meeting!

And there aren't 40,994 members of this forum.   Viewers of this thread are the same few dozen people over and over again.  

Whereas visitors to Wimbledon speedway stadium were millions of people over many decades.    What was the point of the comparison?

**cantankerous old git alert**

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

My first Wimbledon Stadium visit for speedway was May 1948! Did any member go there before that?

My nan and grandad did. They were members of the RAC 

Wimbledon Memories:

1: having beer(s) in the Corner Pin.

2: eating in the local chippy and chatting with Arthur Nutley.

3: 1970: Jimmy Ogisu at the Internationale. 

4: disappointment that Ronnie Green couldn't pronounce Ivan Mauger''s name correctly.

5: getting lost on the way (pre sat navigation era!). Spotted bikes on a trailer. Followed it. Car stopped and it was Ivan Mauger. He got out and he said, "if you are following me, I'm visiting the people I stayed with when I first came to England.  If you hang on 15 mins then I will go to Plough Lane!"

6: pulling onto the car park and the attendant said that Keith Moon had died. My mate in the car said, "Who". Wolves won!

1 hour ago, Lefty said:

5: getting lost on the way (pre sat navigation era!). Spotted bikes on a trailer. Followed it. Car stopped and it was Ivan Mauger. He got out and he said, "if you are following me, I'm visiting the people I stayed with when I first came to England.  If you hang on 15 mins then I will go to Plough Lane!"

that was my nan and grandad, they lived 2 mins from Plough Lane in Havelock Road

Edited by stevehone
  • Like 2

This is the bar is saw yesterday, in memory of the Dons......some i guess call it a scandal, but at least there is some sort of memory. 

Our new mouth-watering matchday service - News - AFC Wimbledon

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

In what seasons was Cyril Maidment the Wimbledon manager? I hazard a guess that it was possibly/pobably in the mid-1970s?

Maido took over in 1972. I can't remember exactly when he left, but it may have been when we went NL. I know he was still there in 1984.

5 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

I do not recall any answer to this query. If there was I sadly missed it. As it is can anyone kindly provide an answer? Thank you.

If you don't get any answers, it's usually because nobody has an answer! He's certainly not someone I've ever heard of...

On 1/15/2022 at 8:45 AM, Lefty said:

2: eating in the local chippy and chatting with Arthur Nutley.

Are you sure you weren't just watching Arthur Nutley eating in the chippy??? :rofl:

11 minutes ago, chunky said:

Are you sure you weren't just watching Arthur Nutley eating in the chippy??? :rofl:

I think we are on the same wavelength?  It was certainly important to be served before him to ensure the optimum choice was available at that late time in the evening! :D