British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

the place has a lot to answer for, my dad met Ivan M there, my parents met there, and i met my ex wife there, my ex inlaws met there, so some good some not so good 

• Like 1

The speedway bar that Iris posted a photo of, is it located at the site of the old Plough Lane stadium?

12 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

The speedway bar that Iris posted a photo of, is it located at the site of the old Plough Lane stadium?

Yes. The new Wimbledon football stadium . Barry Briggs visited the stadium a few weeks back. Not sure if he visited the bar though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Yes. The new Wimbledon football stadium . Barry Briggs visited the stadium a few weeks back. Not sure if he visited the bar though

A regular run for me in SE London used to take me past Speedway Dry Cleaners in New Cross. I assume very close to where the old speedway used to be?

Some nice memories here from Plough Lane. I only went to the speedway once for a 4TT in 1990 and then for Stock Car World Champs 2-3 years later and finally to the dogs about 10-12 years ago. Sorry to say the old place just grew more and more dilapidated.  I had the same feeling the last time I went to Brandon too. :(

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, falcace said:

A regular run for me in SE London used to take me past Speedway Dry Cleaners in New Cross. I assume very close to where the old speedway used to be?

Some nice memories here from Plough Lane. I only went to the speedway once for a 4TT in 1990 and then for Stock Car World Champs 2-3 years later and finally to the dogs about 10-12 years ago. Sorry to say the old place just grew more and more dilapidated.  I had the same feeling the last time I went to Brandon too. :(

i agree, once they closed off most of the stadium it really lost it's attractiveness .. it was going downhill for years but that really did it for me.

good memories of sitting on the bend 2 terrace arguing with Ipswich supporters :D

25 minutes ago, stevehone said:

i agree, once they closed off most of the stadium it really lost it's attractiveness .. it was going downhill for years but that really did it for me.

good memories of sitting on the bend 2 terrace arguing with Ipswich supporters :D

Always lively 'banter' on the terraces there, Steve! I could have been one of the fans you were having discussions with! Normally it was the Dons fans getting frustrated as the Witches were winning so easily!

I enjoyed my visits to Plough Lane. In the 70's early 80's it was the polar opposite to Foxhall Heath. The stadium looked so smart. Always felt I should wipe my feet on entering! The racing was entertaining, good atmosphere on the steep terracing and I liked how compact and enclosed it was, again the total opposite to Foxhall. You could sense the history.

Enjoyable as it was watching the customary tonking of the Dons back in 70's, I think the most fun was had though in the two seasons the Witches dropped down to the NL, 1989 and 90. The PA was always cranked up, Dave Lanning really got the crowd going and there were some superb meetings between the two teams. I think the Dons won them all! - but always tight. We would have a sweepstake amongst us as to which section of fence Moggo would take out first. Mind you, we did that everywhere...

• Like 3

always a nightmare when East Anglian teams visited, Kings Lynn having Lee & Jessup was never fun :D

Never much fun when DJ rode for us either!

He always seemed to have an ef at a crucial stage of the meeting, or looked disinterested. 

1 hour ago, prodons said:

Never much fun when DJ rode for us either!

He always seemed to have an ef at a crucial stage of the meeting, or looked disinterested. 

Didn’t like him at Wimbledon, didn’t seem interested, just going through the motions

14 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Does any one know where Alan Clark, the Wimbledon speedway photographer circa 2002-2005, might be these days? The accompanying Link gives an interesting insight into Alan's speedway involvement:

http://www.speedwaymuseumonline.co.uk/alan clark.html

Not that i ever went in that period, but i thought the photographer was someone called Young, the father of Jess Young who used to be a member here ?

At least he is the guy who took pics of my cousin when he was riding at Plough Lane. Maybe there were a few togs though 

46 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Not that i ever went in that period, but i thought the photographer was someone called Young, the father of Jess Young who used to be a member here ?

At least he is the guy who took pics of my cousin when he was riding at Plough Lane. Maybe there were a few togs though 

That would be Geoff, wouldn't it?

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

That would be Geoff, wouldn't it?

Yes , that's it. Also took pics at Eastie i think. Couldn't remember his name

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes , that's it. Also took pics at Eastie i think. Couldn't remember his name

I'm friends with him on Facebook. I don't know whether he was "the" official photographer, but he always had a camera around his neck!