British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

4 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

I am waiting for the tales with the start girls to come up on the speedway museum site 

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I am waiting for the tales with the start girls to come up on the speedway museum site 

He'll be starting one of those threads:   "Does anyone remember Doris Sidebottom, the New Cross Start Tart of 1946?"     Before returning an hour later to provide all the juicy details.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

I am glad you think my TWITTER problem is amusing. I wonder how you would react if something similar happened to you?

To be honest, I'd be disappointed.   

I've always preferred Nadine Coyle to Cheryl.

14 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

I am glad you think my TWITTER problem is amusing. I wonder how you would react if something similar happened to you?

13 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

12 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

11 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

9 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Maybe there's a virus on your computer?

First you leak your private photos and mucky Cheryl thoughts on twitter....  And then an identical post has appeared on here from you 5 times in a row.   (But no doubt you'll deny doing it).

Who won the first ever race at Wimbledon's opening speedway meeting in 1929?

I see the bullying and nastiness continues on the BSF. Certainly some folk should be ashamed of themselves. Picking on an elderly gentleman - how clever, how brave. 

Did the immediate post-war Wimbledon teams circa 1946 include any riders from their pre-war sides?

4 hours ago, The White Knight said:

I see the bullying and nastiness continues on the BSF. Certainly some folk should be ashamed of themselves. Picking on an elderly gentleman - how clever, how brave. 

Do you have anyone specific in mind as being the victim of BSF bullying?

On 2/28/2022 at 1:46 PM, JohnHyam said:

1 hour ago, andout said:

1929? Wimbledon opened in 1928..... http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/wimbledon.html

Many thanks andout. I repost the question: Who won the first ever race at Wimbledon's opening speedway meeting in 1928?

Edited by Guest

On 2/28/2022 at 1:46 PM, JohnHyam said:

As andout says, the first meeting at Wimbledon was in 1928, 28 May (Whit Monday). I don't know who won the first race but there is a great description of the evening's Gold Helmet final, in the Speedway News:

"As two riders, one wearing red and the other yellow, tore to the front, a startled gasp went up from the thousands of spectators: "Would they weather the bend?" Even while the question was being asked, a figure in blue tore through on the inside of the track and passed the leaders like a flash of light. Desperately Lamont and Huxley attempted to hold off the challenger. Three determined riders broadsided in a terrifying manner round the bend and into the back straight. Neck-and-neck Frank Arthur and Billy Lamont drove their screaming motors up the straight with Vic Huxley only a few feet behind."

Speedway was, of course very much in its infancy in Britain at the time, so this could have been the most exciting race ever seen up to that point. Sadly, Lamont blew a tyre, though he continued with the race, while Arthur and Huxley continued their battle, with Arthur just proving the victor. The fourth rider was Cec Brown who passed Lamont following the latter's blown tyre.

The final event of the evening saw Vic Huxley beating Roger Frogley 2-1 in a series of match races.

Other events that evening included the Wimbledon Handicap, won by Frank Arthur from Jim Kempster and Eric Spencer, and the Sidecar Scratch, won by Freddie Brackpool. Jack Parker also rode in the meeting, which was held before a crowd of 11,000.

19 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Did the immediate post-war Wimbledon teams circa 1946 include any riders from their pre-war sides?

I can't think of any off-hand.

Over its many seasons how many brothers rode for Wimbledon?

19 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Over its many seasons how many brothers rode for Wimbledon?

Excuse me for part answering my own query. In the 1950s possibly Dick and Basil Harris?

Edited by Guest

For a start...

Roger, Peter, and Alan Johns

Jamie and Jeremy Luckhurst

Tommy and Bo Jansson

Bob and Eric Dugard

Kelvin and Neville Tatum