British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

On 2/6/2020 at 10:14 PM, gustix said:

Some years ago there was a FACEBOOK group/forum dedicated to Wimbledon to which, for some time, I was an active member. I subsequently lost contact (or had it terminated!!) with my membership. Does anyone know if the group/forum still functions? I think - as usual!! not certain - that its moderator may be a former Wimbledon rider?

On 2/7/2020 at 12:11 AM, chunky said:

Yes it is still there, John; or at least it was a few days ago. I am a member...

Steve

On 2/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, gustix said:

Steve Any chance you can provide a Link please and I'll try to enter again? Many thanks in anticipation!

On 2/7/2020 at 8:32 AM, iris123 said:

I think if Terry is running it then you are wasting your time :party: I remember your antics on there and you was the reason a number of people started a different forum

My stay on the Terry Mussett Wimbledon site was indeed short term. I think many of my misdemeanour sthere involved members placing photos? I criticised their quality. At the time I had no idea they were being placed via phone links rather than being the placement of a scan image. I do recall actually apologising for this but the Wimbledon forum concerned ignored that and Terry Mussett banned me.

Out of interest, how many groups dedicated to Wimbledon Speedway are there on Facebook these days?

I have no idea. I don’t search or join speedway groups tbh

Talk on another thread brought back memories of those two seasons Todd had with us. Not sure I can really recall another newcomer who had such an instant impact on the club. Obviously I wasn't born when Mirac arrived. Tatum was also a great youngster.....

https://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/3143/todd-wiltshire

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Talk on another thread brought back memories of those two seasons Todd had with us. Not sure I can really recall another newcomer who had such an instant impact on the club. Obviously I wasn't born when Mirac arrived. Tatum was also a great youngster.....

https://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/3143/todd-wiltshire

Of course, getting Todd AND Ray at the same time was fantastic! That was a great time in our history, and I even flew up to Glasgow to see us win...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chunky said:

Of course, getting Todd AND Ray at the same time was fantastic! That was a great time in our history, and I even flew up to Glasgow to see us win...

Yes and Ray was one of the few local lads. Not too many London or South London riders. Steve Schofield I think came from just round the corner though, 

Plus of course Terry Mussett and Steve Hone. One who rode for us and the other who didn’t. But both now infamous for upsetting gustix it seems :rofl:

Edited by iris123

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Yes and Ray was one of the few local lads. Not too many London or South London riders. Steve Schofield I think came from just round the corner though, 

Plus of course Terry Mussett and Steve Hone. One who rode for us and the other who didn’t. But both now infamous for upsetting gustix it seems :rofl:

When involved with speedway for the South London  Press  I had frequent contacts with Steve Schofield - a really pleasant person to deal with. At the same time I also covered Wimbledon for some years but do not recall the name Terry Mussett as being a Dons' rider. What seasons was he there? And so far as Steve Hone is concerned as he did not ride for Wimbledon there was no need to deal with him or about him as a rider for the SLP.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, gustix said:

When involved with speedway for the South London  Press  I had frequent contacts with Steve Schofield - a really pleasant person to deal with. At the same time I also covered Wimbledon for some years but do not recall the name Terry Mussett as being a Dons' rider. What seasons was he there? And so far as Steve Hone is concerned as he did not ride for Wimbledon there was no need to deal with him or about him as a rider for the SLP.

Surprised you don`t remember Terry https://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/2015/terry-mussett

I knew Terry and Dad(big Tel !) very well in his Reading days.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gustix said:

... I also covered Wimbledon for some years but do not recall the name Terry Mussett as being a Dons' rider. What seasons was he there? 

7 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Surprised you don`t remember Terry https://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/2015/terry-mussett

Thank you for the update racers and royals. All news to me regarding Terry Mussett as being a Wimbledon rider. As the  old saying goes something  like '...we live and learn...'

Tiger Terry was great entertainment in his time as a Don. Certainly couldn't fault his effort.

Another one of my favourites of that era was Nathan Simpson. Thought he was going to kick onto international class, but the move to Eastbourne seemed to stall his progress.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Absolutely. But he only worked for the SLP. I bet the local journalists knew who Terry was.....

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Absolutely. But he only worked for the SLP. I bet the local journalists knew who Terry was.....

90 odd matches over 3 seasons- hardly an unknown.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Tbh I had him worth more on his average than the reality. Wonder how his home average / away average worked out. But a good back up, the type every team needs

8 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Then again, John didn't know Igor Plechanov, so - and no disrespect to Terry here - that isn't surprising...

Edited by chunky
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, salty said:

Tiger Terry was great entertainment in his time as a Don. Certainly couldn't fault his effort.

Another one of my favourites of that era was Nathan Simpson. Thought he was going to kick onto international class, but the move to Eastbourne seemed to stall his progress.

It stalled all our progress, for some permanently.